Marco
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well... I guess that if someone dislikes legends of andor he might unconsiously not tip me , while if I had an avatar of a game he would like, he might tip me even more. Who knows?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Otherworldly Gamer
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
<------My avatar will give you the answer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
So Near, So Far: Musings for Miles - Joe Henderson
badge
Bryant & May: Strange Tide - Christopher Fowler
Microbadge: Fugitive fanMicrobadge: Whitehall Mystery fanMicrobadge: Little Wars centennial (1913-2013)Microbadge: Wargamer of 50+ yearsMicrobadge: I love reading to my grandchildren
An unusual and interesting avatar makes it easier for others to remember you, but whether that will translate to thumbs depends on what you write and how well you write it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kimchi fried rice
United States
Uptown
New York
flag msg tools
AKIMBO!
badge
반갑습니다!
mb
Hethalos wrote:
"Cool" is a subjective term but ever since I made the switch from my Space Marine avatar to my current dieselpunk skull viking avatar, I have been getting more thumbs and geekgold.

Does this sometimes happen, or could it be improved writing skills?
yaaaargh! I love pirates!!!

IT WORKED! surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beau Bocephus Blasterfire
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Without asking the people that thumbed or tipped, you will never know for certain. Even if you ask, I suppose they could have been influenced by a cool avatar and not even realize it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Yordy
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My avatar looks like the love child of Wolverine and Bender.

But I don't know that people have felt pity on this unfortunate creature and given me more GG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geert Vinaskov
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Faces tend to get a lot of attention: We're unconciously drawn to faces (anything with eyes really), and are made to pay attention. We get "drawn in" by them, and will focus more on faces in our environment.

The fact that we get "drawn in" by a face is correlated with unconsious, but strong feelings towards it. It is subconciosly very easy to gauge what feelings an unknown subject has toward you (and what feelings you have towards this unknown subject) by looking at it's face. If that face shows that it is non-hostile, and valuable to you, we'll try to have these subjects join our sides, by seeking approval from them, or to approve them. In this case, by replying to their posts or thumbing them.

Posters that have faces, persons, animals, human figures, as their avatar, draw infinitely more attention. It's basic human instinct to interact with them.

It's no coincidence that the most popular posters on BGG have faces/humans as their avatar.

Of course: we"re not hunter-gatherers anymore. We interact via a computer screen, and if a poster writes crap, it won't get thumbed. But the basic "face is present, must pay attention" caveman reaction still exists.

Source: Bachelor Marketing

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Mease
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe anecdotal, but I showed my avatar to my girlfriend and now we are married!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Sushi loverMicrobadge: Sushi loverMicrobadge: Sushi loverMicrobadge: Sushi loverMicrobadge: Sushi lover
ReluctantFr0g wrote:
Maybe anecdotal, but I showed my avatar to my girlfriend and now we are married!
In a similar story, thanks to Gamera, women throw themselves at me all the time! It must be the big, hard, shell.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"Every Board Game I Reach Is Dead"
United Kingdom
Scarborough
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Sphere wrote:
An unusual and interesting avatar makes it easier for others to remember you, but whether that will translate to thumbs depends on what you write and how well you write it.
Yep, keeping the same distinctive Avatar means people recognise and remember you, which means maybe you will get more 'friendsies' thumbs.

However if everyone remembers you because you sound like a dick a lot of the time it won't help at all.. unless you are in RSP in which case it will get you extra thumbs!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"Every Board Game I Reach Is Dead"
United Kingdom
Scarborough
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Geert Vinaskov wrote:
Faces tend to get a lot of attention: We're unconciously drawn to faces (anything with eyes really), and are made to pay attention. We get "drawn in" by them, and will focus more on faces in our environment.
I find I tend to get drawn in by doughnuts, cats and butts in my environment, but that's just me. Each to their own I guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Bailey
United States
Des Moines
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:

Based on your T. Monk avatar everything you write seems articulate and thought-provoking to me. Maybe has a little to do with "At Town Hall" being one of my favorite albums.

As for GG and thumbs...I don't think so, because I have Sir Winston as my avatar and I'm not exactly swimming in GG and you can't get much cooler than him. (Although sadly, half the people here probably say "Why does he have W.C. Fields as an avatar?")

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls