Lee Borkman
Australia
Menangle
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

I remember that any game's page would have a list of automated "recommendations", presumably based on some game metadata, eg mechanics, or possibly games common to many users' collections, etc.

So, for example, I could look at the Pandemic page and find a list of "Recommedations" like Forbidden Island, Flash Point, Hanabi... with rating for how strong each recommendation (similarity) was (Hanabi would be a weaker recommendation that Forbidden Island in this case).

It was a useful way to browse around connected games and find new games based on my old favourites.

Now I seem to have mislaid this feature. Has it gone? Or have I misremembered?

Thanks heaps,
LBBBB
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tod Andrew
Australia
Wollongong
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the 'recommendations' section was helpful, I wish it was brought back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
It's been gone since at least January:
What happened to Game Entry Recommendations?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Salinas
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bjork wrote:
Hi all,

I remember that any game's page would have a list of automated "recommendations", presumably based on some game metadata, eg mechanics, or possibly games common to many users' collections, etc.

So, for example, I could look at the Pandemic page and find a list of "Recommedations" like Forbidden Island, Flash Point, Hanabi... with rating for how strong each recommendation (similarity) was (Hanabi would be a weaker recommendation that Forbidden Island in this case).

Then you didn't pay too close attention--because that's not what happened! The way the algorithm "worked" was picked games that were owned by the same members, so it generated a very random list of games. The highest recommended game was almost always something released at the same time, due to all of the Cult of the New rating it when it both games first came out.

It was running joke how off the recommendations were.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Harvey
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

They were quite funny. For example, Ticket to Ride had a Very Weak Recommendation for Ticket to Ride: Europe... as well as Power Grid.

You can try looking them up on waybackmachine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
I remember it also often seemed to recommend Tiddledy Winks, so much that I began to suspect it was an intentionally programmed joke...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Randy Weston - The Spirits of Our Ancestors
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The selections weren't a perfect guide, but often provided excellent suggestions - people who like the same sort of game are more likely to own similar games. I liked the feature, and found it particularly useful when trying to jog my memory about titles I'd owned long ago.

If it were up to me, I'd say put it back and call it Associations, or something similarly neutral, as a sop to the folks who lost sleep over it being called Recommendations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.