Lawrence Wang
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
Procurer of rare and exclusive titles.
badge
I'm blue daba dee daba die daba deeeeeee daba die
mbmbmbmbmb
I usually stay away from collectable games - whether it be tcgs,lcgs or miniatures like X-Wing.

I don't mind expansions, as long as it's not excessive. Something like Arkham Horror is the max I'll invest to any one single IP. My question is, does this game act like a board game in the sense that you can just buy 1 copy and then have 1-3 friends come over and play it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Rohrer
United States
Warsaw
Indiana
flag msg tools
visit my blog at http://www.alittlelatetothetable.blogspot.com/
badge
“The way a man plays a game shows some of his character. The way he loses shows all of it."
mbmbmbmbmb
short answer is yes. if you stick to the pre-made decks then you can play with just one box. it is when you get into deck-building that just one box would be tough because you'd all want some of the cards. my wife and i play this all the time with just the pre-made decks and we still love it! plus you can do a draft which is fun. highly recommended!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Benton City
WA
flag msg tools
Microbadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Star Trek: Ascendancy fanMicrobadge: Level 10 BGG posterMicrobadge: I was here for BGG's Tenth Anniversary!Microbadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level I - One small step for geek... One giant leap for geek-kind!
yes and no.

there are 6 preconstructed decks, you can play any 2 and have enough dice. with 3 and 4 players the available dice will limit your choice of phoenixborn.

there is a draft mode in which you will have enough components for 4 players, although it is a more chaotic affair.

for constructed mode, the game comes with a full playset of all cards and dice needed for one player. you can play more than one player with constructed but you will have to make sure you don't need the same cards in your deck builds (its still possible but more restrictive)

IMO the game shines in 2 player. if you are primarily going to play 3 and 4, and never have plans to play 2p regularly, you might want to pass.

having said that, unlike FFG, you get a full play set in the core box. you will not have to buy 3 sets in order to get 3 copies of the best cards. FFG has a release schedule of an expansion once a month, where plaid hats announced schedule is about 3 or 4 expansions a year. Plaid hats expansions will also be fully playable preconstructed decks, not just a few cards for different factions.

I hope I answered your questions, is there anything I missed?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Lucas
Canada
Belleville
Ontario
flag msg tools
It's a perfect day for some mayhem!
badge
It's a perfect day for some mayhem!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played with four players using four preconstructed decks and had three Phoenixborn that required illusion dice. I just used a set of unused dice to proxy the missing illusions and I was fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Wang
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
Procurer of rare and exclusive titles.
badge
I'm blue daba dee daba die daba deeeeeee daba die
mbmbmbmbmb
So are the problems just missing dice or were there not enough cards that everyone wants for 3-4 player constructed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Channell
Australia
Townsville
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's my take. It is possible to play with 4 preconstructed decks with the base game. But only a select few. My advice would be to play a couple of games to learn the rules, and cards, with the decks. This will take ages to get through. Then, bring over your three friends and play the drafting game rules included in the box. This is a fantastic means to play with one core set. With the draft, you can play a massive PvPvPvP game. Or play a mini tournament with a couple of 2 player games concurrently. By this time, your friends will buy the game and you can enter the realm of constructed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Channell
Australia
Townsville
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Straddllw wrote:
So are the problems just missing dice or were there not enough cards that everyone wants for 3-4 player constructed?
As mentioned, the core game is designed for 1 player to have enough of everything in a competitive setting. 1 core with two constructed can limit play due to limitations of cards (3 copies limitation per deck) and dice. Unfortunately, as I alluded to before, the game does not need to be played construction. There is still plenty of game in the box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Straddllw wrote:
3-4 player constructed will not be a strong experience, but then rarely are games like this designed to support that kind of play. 3-4 should stick to the pre-con decks or drafting. If people want to play constructed, they should get their own box.

And to avoid confusion for others who may drop in, this isn't a "deckbuilding" game in the sense of how it's defined here on the Geek.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yuriy Matuhno
Ukraine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kelann08 wrote:
]And to avoid confusion for others who may drop in, this isn't a "deckbuilding" game in the sense of how it's defined here on the Geek.
Quoted and bolded for technical truth!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc-André Gaumond
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Straddllw wrote:
Core set contains 3 copies of every card, which is the maximum you can have in a single deck. So 1 box allows 1 player to construct any deck he can think of.

You're going to run into issues as soon as 2 players want to construct a deck and use (between them), more than 3 copies of a card in their decks.

You can draft from 1 box, for 3-4 players, or like others have said, play with the premade decks with 3-4 players, only needing to bring extra dice if more than 2 players use the same type of dice.

But 3-4 constructed decks with 1 box? Your options will be severely limited.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls