Subject: Help me to buy a family weight game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lucas Morão
Brazil
flag msg tools
Hi everyone!

Can anyone help me with that?

I was looking to something like Takenoko, Tobago, Royals, etc. I like Ticket to Ride, Lords of Waterdeep and I want something in that weight to play with family and friends. Not too thinky.

Thanks everyone!

Cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Feras H
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All depends on the size of game you want.

Simple easy:
Sushi Go!
Roll For It! Deluxe Edition
Ca$h 'n Guns (Second Edition)

A dot of thinking, but good games:
King of Tokyo
BANG! The Dice Game
Escape: The Curse of the Temple

More thinking, But great for beginner gamer's:
Pandemic
Kingsburg
Stone Age

A lot more thinking, But easy to understand if they know how to play the above:
Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game
Small World
Abyss

These are the first things that pop in my head (other then the ones you already mentioned). There are many more though!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Chiriboga
United States
Oviedo
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Courtier, Tokaido, Pandemic, Forbidden Desert.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heath Bauer
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some of my family's favorite family weight games are:

Jamaica
The adventurers: Temple of chac
Camel up
Mystery of the Abbey
Sheriff of Nottingham
Camel Up
Black Fleet
Abyss
Zooloretto
Kingsburg
Thebes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MeepleofaMan
United States
Concord
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jamaica
Survive: Escape from Atlantis
Splendor
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virginia M.P.
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Pandemic
+1 Stone Age

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pleb compromise
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Takenoko; 7 Wonders; Carcassonne; Dominion; Small World

A bit shorter: Splendor

A bit more thinky: Power Grid

With drinks and more drinks: Cash & Guns
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Nicosia
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
SMASH!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
King of Tokyo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Morão
Brazil
flag msg tools
feraswheel wrote:
All depends on the size of game you want.

Simple easy:
Sushi Go!
Roll For It! Deluxe Edition
Ca$h 'n Guns (Second Edition)

A dot of thinking, but good games:
King of Tokyo
BANG! The Dice Game
Escape: The Curse of the Temple

More thinking, But great for beginner gamer's:
Pandemic
Kingsburg
Stone Age

A lot more thinking, But easy to understand if they know how to play the above:
Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game
Small World
Abyss

These are the first things that pop in my head (other then the ones you already mentioned). There are many more though!

Not a big fan of the simple easy category; I have Escape, King of New York and traded my copy of Bang the Dice Game; Pandemic I sold my copy (and then bought Pandemic: The Cure... Kingsburg I dunno... Stone Age seems cool, but I was trying to go for something different (I already have Lords of Waterdeep; also, I have Legendary and Small World, but what about Abyss? As fas as I've seen people talking about, seems like a OK game with gorgeous artwork... is it more than that? Thanks for your response!

Snowless11 wrote:

Thanks man! Will look into Courtier (sold my Pandemic, Forbidden Desert and liked Tokaido when I played a friend's copy, but didn't justify a purchase.) Keep suggestions coming!

Bauerheath wrote:
Some of my family's favorite family weight games are:

Jamaica
The adventurers: Temple of chac
Camel up
Mystery of the Abbey
Sheriff of Nottingham
Camel Up
Black Fleet
Abyss
Zooloretto
Kingsburg
Thebes

On this list, I'm interested in Jamaica, Abyss and Zooloreto. My concern with Jamaica is the 3 player game, which might happen more often then not and people says bad thing about this player count; Abyss, as stated above, I heard a lot about being an OK game with amazing art... My collection isn't huge, so I wanted something more recognized as a amazing game (or I could be wrong listening to those people); as for Zooloreto, I can get Coloretto really cheap in my country and I'll pay more that I'd like to to import some game, so I want different kind fo stuff I guess (and I'll buy Coloretto). Thanks you for the help!

VivaDaddy wrote:

Thanks! I already have Escape, the Jamaica 3 player game concerns me as being said to be bad (I'll usually, at least for now, play with 3, 4 tops); as for Splendor, I can get cheap here, but I'm not sold on it yet to grab some family members.

RenaissanceMom wrote:
+1 Pandemic
+1 Stone Age

Sold Pandemic, bought Pandemic The Cure; Stone Age seems cool, but maybe too much similar do Lords of Waterdeep. Thanks for your inupt.

plebc wrote:
Takenoko; 7 Wonders; Carcassonne; Dominion; Small World

A bit shorter: Splendor

A bit more thinky: Power Grid

With drinks and more drinks: Cash & Guns

Thanks mate! I played Takenoko one time and really like it, but seemed to get repetitive fast... is it true?; Splendor looks too dry to grab some family members and non-gamers; As for Carc, I'll think a good implementation (a friend already have the big box); Small World I already own and the rest of the games didn't click that well with me.

zenpunk wrote:

Already have King of New York. Thanks for your help.

Keep 'em suggestions coming. And does anyone have anything to said about Takenoko replay value? If Tobago is a good game? What about Royals?

I want something simple, but with that extra punch. Games too simple like Forbidden Island lost me at the very beggining.

Cheers from Brazil!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No Thanks!

Unnamed Object

Isla Dorada

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Feras H
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Abyss is a great game!
And yeah it would work good in your group, especially with an expansion coming out. But its a bit short of a game.

And since you know pretty much all of them.
Try out Dead of Winter: A Crossroads Game. It is Amazing! (IMO)
But that game is not something i would willingly introduce to people who haven't played many games. There so many things you can do in the game that you need to play with people who are use to gaming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joris Karpavicius
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are many great suggestions, but im gonna mention few more.
Istanbul rly fits into family game category.
Catan is the obvious one
Hawaii fun game where you get to build you own village.
My Village dice version of Village. Seems sandboxey to me but. Looks like medium light game.
Saboteur plays great with 4 and just ok with 3. Maybe the exp helps for 3p, own it but havent tried. More like party game
Forbidden Island/Forbidden Desert/Tiny Epic Defenders for coop just pick the theme you like more.
Castle Panic/Dead Panic light coop tower defence.
The Builders: Middle Ages same as splendor but with an actual theme. There's new version released this year but haven't checked it yet.
Lewis & Clark to me is a family game. Quite easy to learn and the artwork is amazing.
Dont bother with Stone Age (unless you like to chuckle many dices) as you have LoW. Dead of Winter is great game but definitely not a family game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Annemarie Post
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I keep suggesting Isle of Skye: From Chieftain to King to people. Bought it this year at Spiel and everyone I've played it with so far loves it. It's very easy to explain and play, but different every time because of the randomly drawn scoring tiles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew VanSpronsen
Canada
Kitchener
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We are a family of 5. Kids aged 8-13. Some of our favourites that everyone will play include:

Royals - great intro/gateway area control game.

Istanbul - pickup and deliver game with worker placement elements. lots of replayability due to modular board setup.

Broom Service - a unique pickup and deliver game driven by card play. Some serious take that elements that can prevent a user from taking an action...might want to avoid if you are not a fan of that

Isle of Skye: price setting/auction driven tile placement game. plays best at 3-4 but plays 2-5. You are building your own kingdom. Scoring is different every round, and every game, due to variable scoring tiles that are randomly set at the beginning of each game.

Carcassonne: great tile laying game with area control mechanics. Can be a little cu throat depending on the players. scales well from 2-5

Alhambra: Another fun tile laying game where you are building your own palace. Every turn you get money, buy a tile or move tiles around. Scales well 2-5.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goldfinger
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Thebes, Alhambra, Carcassonne

San Juan
Dos Rios *
Africana *
Finca
Cleopatra and the Society of Architects *

* underrated games

Boa sorte!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
may-prigent Ffran
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Already great suggestions . I don't have that many ames ( yet! ) , but Mr Jack is a great family game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.