Robert Fernandez
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Lets Gooooo Mountaineers!
mbmbmbmbmb
The kind folks at BGG can surely help me find the right game!

Me and my wife are still new to the hobby, and BGG. We have tried several different games over the past few months. Here is what was a hit, a miss, and a "meh".

HITS:
Castles of Burgundy, 5 Tribes, Stone Age, Jaipur, Takenoko, Ticket to Ride,Camel Up, Pandemic, Sushi Go

MEH:
Dungeon Petz, Brew Crafters, Survive! Escape from Atlantis, San Juan, Alhambra

MISSES:
Manhatten Project, Agricola, Mr. Jack, Asante, King of Tokyo

The games I have been considering include:
Roll for the galaxy (never played Race)
Last Will
Trajan
Bora Bora
Tzolkin

Any recommendations for above is very apprecited, as well as any additional you may have! Thanks to all!

Also I should mention that we are awaiting the release of Viticulture Essential Edition and The Voyages of Marco Polo, but I have an itch that needs scratched, which I am sure most of you understand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not played Last Will, but it have played the others you are considering. I owned RollftG for a while and sold it. It feels even more solitary than Race does. I really like Race, but I found Roll a bit too fiddly. Trajan is not bad, but Bora Bora is better. Yes, Bira Bora is a tad fiddly as well, but it is more interactive than most other Feld games and the game flows really well after a couple of turns. I really like how the dice are used to determine the actions. It's kind of odd, but the level of potential screwage is quite high, yet there wil still be something useful you can find for your dice rolls. I have not played it with two, but I hear from reliable sources that it scales down to 2 pretty well since some of the action tiles get merged leaving fewer spaces as the player count lowers. So, Bora Bora would be my choice of the ones you listed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Re: Help me and the wife find our next game! ala CLUE'D!
In your kitchen-naught mine-with Col.Angusmustard & Ms Plump, upon the pull-out 'cutting board' from underneath the counter-top, nearby to a 'bottomless waterdish' procured out of the 'attic', and filled with 'aphrodisiacs' freely partaken until these eventuallied: "SPAWN`D `til they DIED!"
whistle THE END, for now...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Madhujith Venkatakrishna
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently got Stockpile and it really worked well with 2P and my wife loved it. Simple stock trading game with Vegas Showdown/Amun Re Auction mechanic, hidden information and best of all plays under 1 hr!

Trajan I found it to be a bit of a brain burner though we enjoyed the game, Have you also considered Mykerinos? Old game under the radar, but plays really well with 2 players and plays in about an hour.

I own Tzolkin, but haven't played it so can't comment on that.

Have you thought of Star Realms- Deck building, very cheap to get, plays in about 20 min and really addictive. They have a few expansion packs as well!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Lam I Am
United States
Highland
UT
flag msg tools
To play is human; to win, divine.
badge
There is no shame in losing, if you remain unafraid to play again. -Losers
mbmbmbmbmb
Are looking for a 2-player game?

What is it about the games listed above that you did or did not like?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fresco

Koi Pond: A Coy Card Game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife likes CoB. She also likes: Glen More and Perry Rhodan: The Cosmic League
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmb
Just guessing based on your list here, but it looks like you like light-mid weight low conflict euros, and maybe a bit of interest in coops?

RollFTG is a great game and I highly recommend it to someone with the above tastes, though it does have a similar role selection mechanism to San Juan (which I love).

Other ideas:

Valley of the Kings
Dominion
Legends of Andor
Steampunk Rally
Lords of Waterdeep
Patchwork
Tides of Time
Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small (plus at least one expansion)
Biblios
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gut Shot Games
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
www.gutshotgames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are the games my wife enjoys playing with me...

Splendor
Lost Cities

We are going to try Cthulhu Realms and Roll for the Galaxy soon, I will let you know what she thinks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leonard Moses II
United States
Hixson
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tzolkin is easier than the voted weight, not terribly different from other games so that also eases learning, and fun. Isn't it also very economical to buy for what you get? The designers are good too as evidenced by their Marco Polo game shooting up into the top 100 with limited distribution. Give these guys a look.

Tzolk'in: The Mayan Calendar

Tzolk'in: The Mayan Calendar – Tribes & Prophecies

The Voyages of Marco Polo

I wasn't as into their Sheepland game and my wife ended up voting to sell it eventually also.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jiryfoe Man
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
open the heart
mbmbmbmbmb
Eminent Domain: Microcosm
So fun (thoughtful). So small (34 card deck-builder). So flavoursome (Colonize/Military).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Hayward
Japan
Koto-ku
Tokyo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to recommend:

1. Keyflower
2. Taluva
3. Nations
4. Deus
5. Viceroy
6. Nations: The Dice Game
7. London
8. Caylus
9. Le Havre
10. Seasons

These have all been a Huge hit with my partner, and I feel we all might share a similar interest in games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My wife and I have lately been playing Patchwork, a surprisingly thinky little game which plays in about 20 minutes and Fields of Arle, a meaty 2-player game in the general Agricola family.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Fernandez
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
samlamiam wrote:
Are looking for a 2-player game?

What is it about the games listed above that you did or did not like?

Does not have to be 2 player specific, but should play decently well with 2.

I think what she dislikes the most is having to remember a bunch of things for the games, however,

Brew Crafter - all the brew add on have there own ability and she sometimes for gets all the perks as the game goes on.

Dungeon Petz - I think this one she has not played enough.

Manhatten Project - she felt like she was waiting a while to take her turn because of all the actions each player can do on their own board.

Mr.Jack - Finds it way too difficult to win as Jack.

Her dislikes are sort of all over the place, which is why I have enlisted the help of all you fine people

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Fernandez
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
quill65 wrote:
Just guessing based on your list here, but it looks like you like light-mid weight low conflict euros, and maybe a bit of interest in coops?

RollFTG is a great game and I highly recommend it to someone with the above tastes, though it does have a similar role selection mechanism to San Juan (which I love).

Other ideas:

Valley of the Kings
Dominion
Legends of Andor
Steampunk Rally
Lords of Waterdeep
Patchwork
Tides of Time
Biblios

Odd enough she loves conflict, she actually really likes Survive! because she can attack me. I am just not a fan of it with 2 players.
She also finds joy in CoB when she knows she grabbed a tile that I wanted.

Co-ops are great too, but we do have forbidden desert and it's ok, but she likes pandemic more. Thanks for your other recommendations, I am going to have to check them out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Bennetts
United Kingdom
Wellington
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
celicarasr wrote:
quill65 wrote:

Other ideas:

Valley of the Kings
Dominion
Legends of Andor
Steampunk Rally
Lords of Waterdeep
Patchwork
Tides of Time
Biblios

Odd enough she loves conflict, she actually really likes Survive! because she can attack me. I am just not a fan of it with 2 players.
She also finds joy in CoB when she knows she grabbed a tile that I wanted.

Co-ops are great too, but we do have forbidden desert and it's ok, but she likes pandemic more. Thanks for your other recommendations, I am going to have to check them out.

For two players I can recommend 7 Wonders Duel. It has just the right level of conflict.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virginia M.P.
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Steampunk Rally, she might enjoy it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Lam I Am
United States
Highland
UT
flag msg tools
To play is human; to win, divine.
badge
There is no shame in losing, if you remain unafraid to play again. -Losers
mbmbmbmbmb
celicarasr wrote:

Does not have to be 2 player specific, but should play decently well with 2.

I think what she dislikes the most is having to remember a bunch of things for the games,

My favorite 2-player is Race for the Galaxy. There are a lot of symbols you have to learn initially, but if you play the original game it plays quick with 2 players and after a couple plays you'll get it.

After you get comfortable, play the variant where each player chooses two actions per round and add in the first expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I would put Trajan about on par with Castles of Burgundy, since you enjoy CoB, Trajan seems like a natural next choice. Depends how you feel about the mancala mechanic though, which is more difficult than just rolling dice.

I'm a huge fan of Race for the Galaxy (with the second arc Alien Artifacts-cards only), and really enjoy Roll for the Galaxy as well. Both of these games have recent expansions which I have not yet tried but it bodes well for the future of these games. However, they are similar to San Juan. Race at 2P with advanced rules is really fantastic for the play time involved, maybe one of the best short/quick games on the market. But, there is a learning curve.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattia Ravasi
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It might sound obvious and maybe you've tried it already, but I'd definitely suggest Carcassonne. It's my girlfriend's favorite game, and mine too; it plays best with two players (but you can also play it with 3 or 4 or 5 if you have guests), you can play it either as a confrontational game or as a laid-back experience, it's fast but engaging, it's got tons of cheap expansions. To me it's pretty perfect

Lost Cities and Agricola All Creatures, which others have suggested, are also awesome two-player games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Mease
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I know you sort of pooh pooh'd San Juan, but our favorite game right now is Puerto Rico. (Expansions included)

It's deeper than San Juan and juuuust beat out CoB for us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Fernandez
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
skybreak wrote:
I would put Trajan about on par with Castles of Burgundy, since you enjoy CoB, Trajan seems like a natural next choice. Depends how you feel about the mancala mechanic though, which is more difficult than just rolling dice.

I'm a huge fan of Race for the Galaxy (with the second arc Alien Artifacts-cards only), and really enjoy Roll for the Galaxy as well. Both of these games have recent expansions which I have not yet tried but it bodes well for the future of these games. However, they are similar to San Juan. Race at 2P with advanced rules is really fantastic for the play time involved, maybe one of the best short/quick games on the market. But, there is a learning curve.

The mancala mechanic and the fact that its another Feld is what made me think of Trajan. She enjoys Five Tribes and Castles of Burgundy. I was just not sure if this justified giving Trajan the go-ahead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Fernandez
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Krokgard wrote:
It might sound obvious and maybe you've tried it already, but I'd definitely suggest Carcassonne. It's my girlfriend's favorite game, and mine too; it plays best with two players (but you can also play it with 3 or 4 or 5 if you have guests), you can play it either as a confrontational game or as a laid-back experience, it's fast but engaging, it's got tons of cheap expansions. To me it's pretty perfect

Lost Cities and Agricola All Creatures, which others have suggested, are also awesome two-player games.

We actually had the opportunity to try Carcassonne and sadly she did not like it.

I was thinking about just taking on Harbour or Lost Cities onto whatever game I decide to buy, just to give me another inexpensive opportunity to have her try something new. It looks like I will end up with Lost Cities along with whatever bigger game I decide! Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kate
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
celicarasr wrote:
skybreak wrote:

The mancala mechanic and the fact that its another Feld is what made me think of Trajan. She enjoys Five Tribes and Castles of Burgundy. I was just not sure if this justified giving Trajan the go-ahead.

I'm not sure if others will feel this way, but to me Five Tribes feels similar to Trajan, with slightly more interaction.
Having a common mancala instead of individual player boards, bidding for turn order, the powers of the Djinn cards; these all seem to involve the players in each other's turns a little more. Trajan is quite solitaire-y, and even though you do have to be mindful of what the other players are doing, it's not devastating when they take a move you had planned.

Tbh I love Trajan and don't particularly like Five Tribes, but reading the OP it felt to me like Trajan wasn't quite what you were looking for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jackson
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
What is the sound of one card shuffling?
mbmbmbmbmb
celicarasr wrote:
The kind folks at BGG can surely help me find the right game!

Me and my wife are still new to the hobby, and BGG. We have tried several different games over the past few months. Here is what was a hit, a miss, and a "meh".

HITS:
Castles of Burgundy, 5 Tribes, Stone Age, Jaipur, Takenoko, Ticket to Ride,Camel Up, Pandemic, Sushi Go

MEH:
Dungeon Petz, Brew Crafters, Survive! Escape from Atlantis, San Juan, Alhambra

MISSES:
Manhatten Project, Agricola, Mr. Jack, Asante, King of Tokyo

The games I have been considering include:
Roll for the galaxy (never played Race)
Last Will
Trajan
Bora Bora
Tzolkin

Any recommendations for above is very apprecited, as well as any additional you may have! Thanks to all!

Also I should mention that we are awaiting the release of Viticulture Essential Edition and The Voyages of Marco Polo, but I have an itch that needs scratched, which I am sure most of you understand.

my real advice would be to play what you already have instead of amassing ever larger stacks of games that aren't hitting the table. thats with the benefit of hindsight from when my wife and i first got into the hobby also i was going to say get Voyages Of Marco Polo but you beat me to it!

but from your list i would highly recommend Trajan (similar to COB+Five Tribes, as others have said), Roll For The Galaxy, and Tzolkin (the gears are really fun). and play more Dungeon Petz!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.