Feras H
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys!

I'm new here on BGG! Been coming here for over a year.
Signed up only a few days ago.

I do need a little bit of advice on miniatures.

My gaming group are not that into full on hard-core games (But i want to get into some).
So we play games like Dead of Winter: A Crossroads Game, Small World, Kingsburg, etc. We have been gaming for over a year, I do have a tiny collection (compared to other people on BGG)

But i've always had an interest in miniatures.

Could anyone please advise on the best "easy-to-learn" miniature game?

The game must be playable with a minimum of 3-4 players.

P.S. I might get a bit of slack for this. But i'm not the biggest fan of star wars. Haven't really tried watching it (just watched the 1st one only), I was more into Star Trek. That being said, i'm not against "Star wars board games" but a different theme might appeal more to myself and my group.

Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keelan James
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
X-Wing is a great entry point. It's easy to learn, quite scalable, and you don't have to worry about painting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keelan James
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
And I just noticed your PS. Lol. Maybe Golem Arcana. It's pretty fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
/|\ Roland /|\
United States
Satellite
Low Earth Orbit
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think a great entry point from a cost, appearance, and game mechanism perspective is the Dungeon Command series.

Each box is a complete army with thematic interlocking maps. It uses simple line of sight rules on a grid map. The rules are super easy to learn, but there is great tacticle depth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Feras H
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pete belli wrote:
Welcome to BGG!
Thank you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Feras H
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ath3ist wrote:
I think a great entry point from a cost, appearance, and game mechanism perspective is the Dungeon Command series.

Each box is a complete army with thematic interlocking maps. It uses simple line of sight rules on a grid map. The rules are super easy to learn, but there is great tacticle depth.

Which one would you start off with? There are a few i can see.
Thank you;

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
"Hey, That's My Fish" is easy-to-learn, but I suspect you're looking for more than a filler that uses mini's as game pieces. But if you like to paint.. laugh

Cthulhu Wars is an asymmetrical area control game with direct confrontation. The game's easy to learn, but each faction's abilities are part of the strategy to master. Plus mini's -- and a $150 price tag. KS going on right now. goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Feras H
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam and Max wrote:
"Hey, That's My Fish" is easy-to-learn, but I suspect you're looking for more than a filler that uses mini's as game pieces. But if you like to paint.. laugh

Cthulhu Wars is an asymmetrical area control game with direct confrontation. The game's easy to learn, but each faction's abilities are part of the strategy to master. Plus mini's -- and a $150 price tag. KS going on right now. goo

$150 USD is too much for me! Lol.
Im in Australia, and our currency at the moment is CRAP!
I got Scythe from kickstarter. So that should be coming close to end of next year. It has kind of miniatures? Not not miniature based.
I'd rather not a kickstarter game. Something i can go to the shops and just buy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nexus Ops is great Ameritrash fun. Scales well. easy to learn. And looks awesome.

Cyclades is more Euro-y.

Fortress America more Ameritrash. Perfect for 4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S P
United States
Zionsville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Blood Rage!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Feras H
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cyclades looks good. and Nexus Ops looks good too.
I would need to look at some videos on how its played and all before i make any rash decisions Euro-y works well with my group.

And to the below, Blood Rage looks good too

Thanks for your advise guys!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ROGER DEAL
United States
Oak Ridge
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Kenneth Deal WW 2 Europe 1944/45
mbmbmbmbmb
I got started with these two...
Melee
Wizard

Both games designed by Steve Jackson (Ogre) and are made to work together. You can use any medieval/fantasy miniatures.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Gobe
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
Not the avatar you're looking for
mbmbmbmbmb
Heroscape Master Set: Rise of the Valkyrie or any of the other base sets if you can find it cheap.

Blood Rage, Krosmaster: Arena, Specter Ops, and Mice and Mystics would also be good.

Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game is great, but as a Star Trek fan Star Trek: Attack Wing might be good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chun Ping
Singapore
Portland
OREGON
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
most of the recommendations are not miniature games. OP do take note.
Magic: The Gathering – Arena of the Planeswalkers is likely a good and cheap place to start
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Gobe
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
Not the avatar you're looking for
mbmbmbmbmb
cpf86 wrote:
Magic: The Gathering – Arena of the Planeswalkers is likely a good and cheap place to start
Totally forgot about this! Also, a reimplementation of sorts to Heroscape.

I'm also not sure if he meant "miniature games" or "games with miniatures", so I recommended a little bit of column-A, a little bit of column-B.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Feras H
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks all for your suggestions. meeple
Yeah i'm looking at all games mentioned, i have noticed some are not miniatures

Some look good for my gaming group.
Some look a little complex for the group i game with.

I do need to look at videos (dice tower probably) on the games before i buy any.

Should be buying more early next year.
(i have limited my self in buying games. I set myself a goal of 1 game a month. (not including expansions) )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toni Metchenov
Bulgaria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi!

I've been playing and collecting Warhammer 40k miniatures for a while now, but like you, I have very few friends that will actually play such a heavy miniatures game with me.

Recently I found a page called OnePageRules (you can check him out Here.) He basically simplifies games like Warhammer Fantasy, Warhammer 40k, etc. to have simple rules that fit on one page and require nothing else but miniatures.

A few of the rule sets also allow you to use any miniatures you currently own if you don't want to spend that extra cash. I've used those rules to play with the miniatures from my D&D and Gears of War board games and they're fun and fairly well balanced.

That's the way I get my 40k minis on the table more often. Hope this helps you too!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Bettzieche
Germany
Ladenburg
Baden Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi and welcome to the 'Geek

Easy to learn, hm?
I'd recommend Song of Blades and Heroes: Not only is it easy to learn, but also available for low costs AND it can be played with basically any miniature out there.

If you are more into other genres (sci fi, or whatelse), then there are more "song of..." games around - just use the search here to find them

Kind regards,
Kai
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
/|\ Roland /|\
United States
Satellite
Low Earth Orbit
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
feraswheel wrote:
ath3ist wrote:

Thank you;
Ignore the promo cards in that list. There are 5 boxes of 5 different armies (all cost around 25 bucks US). Each one has everything you need to play the game, so it a matter of taste if you like, orcs, undead, etc to which one you buy. The rules inside are all the same and they all work with each other, so you can buy any two boxes and pit them against each other in a balanced way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Little different from what you've been playing, but if you want a (generally) co-op dungeon crawler. The D&D Adventure System games are pretty easy to learn. I've taught my nephews ages 8-15 how to play.
Castle Ravenloft
Wrath of Ashardalon
The Legend of Drizzt
Temple of Elemental Evil

Someone else mentioned Mice and Mystics, which I haven't played, but my understanding is it's even easier rules than D&D.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cpf86 wrote:
What is your definition of a Miniatures game?

Actually, and more importantly, what is the OP's definition?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Feras H
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My definition of miniature is something with detailed miniatures that are the main characters/enemies in the game (And maybe something i can start to learn how to paint).

Not like RoboRally.

And Mice and Mystics i've seen, it looks good. But its story based. i don't see much replay-ability in that game. Yes i like a game with a good theme and story (Dead of Winter: A Crossroads Game) but it has to have a lot of replay-ability

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Feras H
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ath3ist wrote:
feraswheel wrote:
ath3ist wrote:

Thank you;
Ignore the promo cards in that list. There are 5 boxes of 5 different armies (all cost around 25 bucks US). Each one has everything you need to play the game, so it a matter of taste if you like, orcs, undead, etc to which one you buy. The rules inside are all the same and they all work with each other, so you can buy any two boxes and pit them against each other in a balanced way.

Thanks, Now that game looks pretty good! But i mainly play a game with 4 players, sometimes 3. as good as that seems, its only a 2 player game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
if you could be anything you wanted...
badge
i bet you'd be disappointed.
mb
I was going to recommend BattleLore (Second Edition), but I don't know if there's any way to play with 3-4 (it's normally just 2).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Feras H
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
emodiu5 wrote:
I was going to recommend BattleLore (Second Edition), but I don't know if there's any way to play with 3-4 (it's normally just 2).
Yeah, 4+ players is mainly what i'm after, as i always play with my partner and other people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |