United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
flying
badge
dutchman
mbmbmbmbmb
I wanted to see a model on its base so I started to cut Legendary Riordan free. I cut one foot loose, then went to cut the other loose. About 1/2 way through the whole thing gave way. The result was the sprue went flying, my X-Acto knife blade broke, and the first foot broke off and went flying, not to be seen again.

I've never seen sprues like these before, they're flat and tall with no obvious place to start cutting - so much so I'm afraid trying to use diagonal cutters will take a piece of the model with the sprue.

Anyone with prior experience with Mantic resin models care to give some advice?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Advance for removing the sprue from resin models
Dang.

Dunno if it will help, but when I cut pieces off a sprue, I cut the sprue first. Once you get to the point where you could twist off a piece of sprue from the piece of the miniature it attaches to, then you can use an x-acto to cut it off from the sprue.

Got a pic?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Stewart
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ampoliros wrote:
Anyone with prior experience with Mantic resin models care to give some advice?
I don't have much experience except to say that I would never use a knife on figs because the odds of accident and injury are too great.

I dunno what you mean by "diagonal" cutters but I'd want to try "flush" cutters instead.
https://www.google.ca/search?q=flush+cutters&tbm=isch

The only other thing I can think of right now is maybe softening the plastic/resin in hot water before cutting? That way it should cut more than snap?

TBH, the resin pieces I've seen have me VERY scared. There's some BIG chunks attached to some tiny pieces that I just know are gonna snap. I've wondered if maybe a dremel is needed to work on those pieces?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Shadow

Byram
New Jersey
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Same thing happened to me. I went to cut the middle of the sprue to get a better angle at the foot and the foot snapped off. I managed to you it back together but frustrating none the less.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Vinyard
United States
Las Cruces
NM
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I used these. I'm pretty sure I picked them up at Harbor Freight.

There is a pedestal under the foot. I put the flush part against the sprue, and slowly closed the cutters.

Then, turn them around and take the pedestal off at the point you want to, depending on how you're going to base it.

If the basing material is thick I'll leave 1/4" of the pedestal then file it down to the height you want. I try and leave them a little raised so that if I use a thicker basing material they don't look like they're sinking in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teskal Flink
Germany
flag msg tools
I use also a very fine modelling saw. But normally a scalpel and cutter as in last pledge and few small files should be enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Stewart
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam and Max wrote:
Dunno if it will help, but when I cut pieces off a sprue, I cut the sprue first. Once you get to the point where you could twist off a piece of sprue from the piece of the miniature it attaches to, then you can use an x-acto to cut it off from the sprue.
This doesn't work with the resin casts. I really don't get it. With the plastic figs, the injection points seem to be very fine points. I guess because the power of the injection molding process? But resin just relies on gravity or something? So the connection points (like the bottom of the feet?) have HUGE stumps that are like the thickness of the model's head or something. Clipping through that isn't possible without damaging something. I like idea of slowly squeezing through until you can get *most * o fit off, but there's still gonna be some stumpy bits left. If you are gonna rebase then this works. But if it's part of some thinner part of the model (an arm maybe) then it's pretty much a total loss. I know we paid a lot more for resin models, but really, I don't see the point if there's gonna be a buncha mold bits all over it that completely obscure details.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C B
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
flying
badge
dutchman
mbmbmbmbmb
Turns out I shouldn't have been afraid to use my Xuron flush cutter. I cut another resin figure from its sprue and the feet are fine. However, the spiders have a touch smaller legs than they should.

Now I have to figure out how to fashion a peg leg for poor old Riordan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfgang Kunz
Germany
Netphen
flag msg tools
badge
I'm German. That's what we do...
mbmbmbmbmb
EverywhereGames wrote:
, I don't see the point if there's gonna be a buncha mold bits all over it that completely obscure details.

If one has ordered the "Trap" - expansions you see big stumps protruding from the side of some traps. I still have to try if I can use the usual pincers I use for plastic minis since this material is much harder. Given the small detail I see here on the pictures I'm glad that I can't damage much with the traps.

BTW: I have one special figure - grey material (I assume it is Keldan), one leg, arm, weapon is on a sprue - is it right that this mini came without a base? Have checked the whole box last evening (and beside damaged figures and some missing parts) this was something I could not find in other posts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Stewart
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alphawolf wrote:
If one has ordered the "Trap" - expansions you see big stumps protruding from the side of some traps. I still have to try if I can use the usual pincers I use for plastic minis since this material is much harder. Given the small detail I see here on the pictures I'm glad that I can't damage much with the traps.
Let us know how it goes. I need to trim the traps too and some of those have BIG stumps on them. There's gonna be a LOT of detail lost. I guess I'll take my own advice and boil 'em up a bit and hack away at them and see if I can give the sprues some texture. I'm pretty much resigned to never bothering with resin figs ever again.

Alphawolf wrote:
BTW: I have one special figure - grey material (I assume it is Keldan), one leg, arm, weapon is on a sprue - is it right that this mini came without a base? Have checked the whole box last evening (and beside damaged figures and some missing parts) this was something I could not find in other posts.
Yes, you are right, this is Keldan. Dunno why they rate resin instead of plastic. In *my* cardboard box of extras, along with all the various (sealed) bags of monsters and heroes, I *did* in fact find a spare base. I thought it had fallen out of one of the bags (there are some figs not attached in the bags) but then I realized that it must be Keldan's base. So re-check your box and especially check under the bottom flaps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loig Roumois
Switzerland
Baden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
same ehre. I also found Keldan's base under the cardboard flaps. I nearly threw it away *shudder*

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy Bradford
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, just found out that my base is underneath the flaps of the box.

Some sharing on cutting the sprue. I will usually use a nail clipper to cut it close to the model, follow by slicing the tiny bit of extra off the model. Doing it that way will be easier as the tiny bit will be "softer" and easier to cut. Cutting the sprue without leaving any space may damage the model, especially if cut at certain angle or force.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.