The U.S. Civil War» Forums » General

Subject: Solitaire Suitability rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Wright

Alpharetta
Georgia
msg tools
How well does this puppy play solo? I noticed that the game has some cards involved; what impediment, if any, to solo play do these pose? I'd rather not concuss myself every time I change sides to forget what cards are being held.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mick Mickelsen
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Guitar playerMicrobadge: Copper ReviewerMicrobadge: GrognardMicrobadge: LawyerMicrobadge: Level 04 BGG poster
I am playing it solitaire in order to learn the system before I start a face to face epic campaign game Saturday. I've had a blast playing it solo, and I generally don't like to play any game solo. The cards are really no big deal, they influence one's turn but are not overpowering.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos molina
msg tools
Microbadge: Advanced Civilization fanMicrobadge: Axis & Allies fanMicrobadge: ASL fanMicrobadge: Macross / Robotech fanMicrobadge: Civil Wargamer
I am playing solo also to learn the rules. It plays well solo, the cards give you bonuses but don't hamper solo play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Snyder
United States
Cockeysville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The variable initiative, randomness of card draws, lack of hidden information and variability of who goes when in any given action phase makes this HIGHLY solo-able, imo. By way of example, Price had pushed into Missouri on action phase one, fought Lyons to a draw, was counter-attacked the next action phase and demoralized. In the fourth action phase, initiative was crucial: if the Union won initiative, Lyons would pounce on Price and likely drive him out of Missouri, whereas if the Confederacy won Price would be able to clear the demoralized status or back up into Arkansas. That's the kind of tension I live for when I'm soloing, which I tend to do far more often than not.

Oh, and the Union won initiative. Missouri is firmly in the Union, and I doubt the Confederates will be back in strength anytime soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patiently waiting for the zombie apocalypse...
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with above posters. The game will play well solo.

It's a good one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Stimpson
United States
Westminster
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed. Point to make about the Action Cards: unlike actual CDGs, there isn't that much variation between the cards, so if the 'Confederate' half of your brain in a solo game knows that the 'Union' player has 4 or 5 cards in his hand, the contents of those cards wouldn't be a huge surprise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Blank
United States
Unspecified
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am having a great time with the game solo, for all of the points raised above. I recommend it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Johnson
United States
Londonderry
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm playing solo for my first game to learn the rules. I don't have the memory I used too so every time I switch sides I tend to forget most of what the other side was planning. So it's working out pretty well!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chuck reaume
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Going to reiterate what everyone else has said. I play most of my games solo anyway but TUSCW plays very nicely solo without having to make many - if any - real concessions. There may be some "fog of war" lost by knowing the other side's cards but since you can't play them as a defender anyway (that I know of, still learning the game) they don't have a lot of impact on your action decisions.

So, to make a short story longer than it should be, great solo experience and HIGHLY recommended.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giorgio Clavelli
Australia
Toowoomba QLD
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
applecorey wrote:
I'm playing solo for my first game to learn the rules. I don't have the memory I used too so every time I switch sides I tend to forget most of what the other side was planning. So it's working out pretty well!!!
Ha ha, I'm not the only one then!! laugh
Pity this "benefit" of aging affects also the hardly learnt rules...whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan van der Laan
Netherlands
Leeuwarden
Friesland
flag msg tools
badge
Als u begrijpt wat ik bedoel.
mbmbmbmbmb
Cranioduro wrote:
applecorey wrote:
Ha ha, I'm not the only one then!! laugh
Pity this "benefit" of aging affects also the hardly learnt rules...whistle
+ 1 thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Smith
United States
Bel Air
MD - Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm late to the party but will echo what has already been said. Thus game is very solitaire friendly. The randomized initiative and number of actions means you can never really know if you will be able to execute your plans. The cards are never used in response, so only the side you are currently playing has access to the cards. I only look at the cards when it is a given side's turn.

The trickiest aspect is interception and avoiding battle, when suddenly you must make decisions for the other side in the midst of your turn. But this can be easily managed by a fair evaluation of the situation. And when in doubt, a simple die roll can settle the issue. Also, both interception and avoidance are dependent upon a dice roll anyway, so there is always the chance such an action will fail even if selected.

Bottom line is I find it to be a great solo experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zrobin
Italy
rome
flag msg tools
mb
are there some rules for solo play?

or for soloing do you mean one player plays both sides?
is there a sort of AI?

thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich James
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Up Front fanMicrobadge: High Frontier fan - Your trip starts here!Microbadge: ComancherĂ­a: The Rise and Fall of the Comanche Empire fanMicrobadge: Linux userMicrobadge: Soccer fan
No solo rules, no AI. You play both sides.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zrobin
Italy
rome
flag msg tools
mb
oh my god... is there any personality disorder risk ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Stimpson
United States
Westminster
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, but nothing Benedict Arnold couldn't have handled.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Morgan
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know I'm drumming up a fairly old discussion here, but I was considering this game because of the subject matter. I also know that if I'm going to play it, it will most likely be solo.

The comments on here make it pretty clear that it works well in that manner, but I have a nagging question that maybe some of you can answer. When you play both sides of a game without AI, how do you not find yourself "steering" the game in one side's favor or the other, either due to some preconceived plan, or simply subconsciously picking a side?

Aren't there numerous decision points that become muddled strategically? If for instance, you know that you were moving your union forces to take a city or rail junction, doesn't the lack of fog of war at that point automatically force you to "choose a side" based on how you respond to that move with your Confederate persona?

Are the mechanics in place so reactions to events / movement remain consistent?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffen Beck
Germany
Passau
flag msg tools
designer
mb
I can only speak for myself, but i find it fairly easy (not just this game). I just make the most optimal move in any given situation. The cards are the only hidden piece of information, but as there are only five variaties of them you just take it into consideration that the "opponent" might have the card "he" needs, just as you would regularily.

I find myself rooting for one side, but once taking over the other faction, I just change hats and fight off those pesky rebels/yanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Morgan
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. That makes sense. I'm sure I'll give this a try and guess I'll find out if my brain is smarter north or south of the Mason/Dixon line.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls