13 Posts

Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Major Rhymer and Advanced Homing Missiles rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick Gardner
msg tools
mb
I like the idea of AHM but the static range turned me off. Then glancing through pilot cards I came across Rhymer (I dont play Imperial at all so I never thought of him) and just to be silly I came up with this:

Major Rhymer - 26
Advanced Homing Missile - 3
Advanced Homing Missile - 3
Extra Munitions - 2
Munitions Failsafe - 1
Push The Limit - 3
Total - 38

Now I'm guessing that's steep for a Bomber but it has 4 AHM that can be shot at any range and stay until they hit. Is there a way to tighten this up to make it competitive? I have a tournament coming up and showing up with Imperials would throw everyone off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Krüger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you can drop the Munitions Failsafe. It seems unlikely that he will be alive long enough to fire five missiles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Olivier
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd also say try to avoid PTL, since the stress will make it harder to fire off the next missile, maybe predator instead? Or a buff from a friendly ship? ( which can get gimmicky)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Krüger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps fly him with intimidating Oicunn. Normally, Oicunn dies very quickly because he is predictable, but Rhymer may be the more important target.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Gardner
msg tools
mb
I never bought a Decimator since I normally avoid Imperial and it only comes with Imperial only cards. I could take push the limit off and then run the shuttle that can share target locks. I came up with a shuttle list that uses Flechette Cannon, Tactician, and Rebel Captive. I can just upgrade from the generic to the named. That way there's also another threat on the table because if you leave him alone he can double stress your ships in 1 shot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Derksen
Canada
Toronto
ON
flag msg tools
designer
armoredgear7.net
badge
Heroes of the Aturi Cluster dockingbay416.com/campaign
mbmbmbmbmb
Swapping Munitions Failsafe for Twin Ion Engine MK2 (from the TIE Punisher pack), will give Rhymer speed 1-3 banks and turns all green. That's pretty decent for a Push the Limit platform.

Otherwise yes, he is very expensive. How long he will survive will depend on what else is in his list (and how scary it is).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Gardner
msg tools
mb
Completely forgot about the TIE mod

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Gardner
msg tools
mb
What about pairing him with 2 Royal Guard TIE Interceptors with Push the Limit, Interceptor Title, Autothrusters, and Stealth Device?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus Musstermann
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe the new TIE/fo pilot Scourge. He gets more attack dice on targets with crits, which is what AHM on Rhymer is dishing out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Gardner
msg tools
mb
But he's not out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus Musstermann
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
He also isn't a TIE/fo pilot or reliant on critical damage. Not sure what I was thinking...there's somebody who gets a buff for shooting guys with crits on them right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Lieffring
United States
Athens
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SuperKlaus wrote:
He also isn't a TIE/fo pilot or reliant on critical damage. Not sure what I was thinking...there's somebody who gets a buff for shooting guys with crits on them right?
Scourge may not care about crits, but Advanced Homing Missiles do allow him to get his bonus die against ships while their shields are up. That's pretty cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerome Kentz
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I love playing Major Rhymer! Unfortunately in competitive play, he is such a juicy target he tends to get focus fired to death quite quickly.

I would drop PTL in favor of Deadeye. Then with a [focus] you can use [target lock] missiles and torpedoes. The Deadeye [focus] also allows you to choose any target in range rather than the TL target.

I would also diversify your ordnance with maybe a splash damage weapon like Assault Missiles for swarms or APT for those pesky agile ships.

if you spend squad points on any ordnance based ship, don't expect it to get more than two shots off before it dies.

Jerome
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls