The Gallerist» Forums » Rules

Subject: Question about 'choose any vistor from bag' and another. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
JaeSung Choi
South Korea
flag msg tools
mb
1. Can people check how many visitors in the bag? i think numbers of visitors in the bag is calculated. even how many vip, investor, collector.

2. bouns action 'choose any visitor from bag take to your gallery' is 'choose' meeple? or just pick randomly, and get that?

P.S : i played this game 3 times, now completely fascinated. Kanban was great. but this is just masterpiece

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1: we know how many are in the bag when the game starts and their presence on the board is never hidden. Since you can math how many of each are in the bag, there's no reason not to be able to count what's in there to skip the math.

2: it means look in the bag (another reason you should be able to count them) and select one. Choose means "pick one", "take" or "draw" would mean to take one at random.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lee
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
Andy, you Goonie!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
kelann08 wrote:
1: we know how many are in the bag when the game starts and their presence on the board is never hidden. Since you can math how many of each are in the bag, there's no reason not to be able to count what's in there to skip the math.

Indeed. Another reason the count really shouldn't be hidden, or at least a surprise, is that the other two end game conditions are completely transparent as well: you can simply see the stacks of tickets run out and the 2 or more artists who have reached celebrity status.

You get a good sense for the end-game-ish time of the game: you know it's coming, and you plan accordingly, but not exactly when, adding to the tension. Of course, there will reach a point when somebody just decides to take the last ticket after the bag has run out or the two celebrities have been promoted (or any permutation thereof). In my first game, so including teaching time and everybody learning the ropes, the end came too soon--and that was after almost 3.5 hours of play! I imagine now that we know it, it will come much closer to the playtime stated on the box.

I really enjoyed the experience, and I continued to talk about it the next day with one of the two other friends with whom I played it. May even play again tomorrow night!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph H. Anderson
United States
Prospect
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Totally agreed! We quickly determined that displaying the contents of the bag is valid and a great time saver!

I played my 1st 4-player game last night (after playing two 2-player games). I was happy to note that in going through the rules explanation last night I discovered only 1 rule oversight in my previous games, which was corrected last night.

I am also having the unfortunate experience that the more I play and experiment the worse I am doing!blush

Next game I am just going to relax and enjoy it! cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Goodridge
United States
Windsor Locks
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Currently at 1:2 ratio, getting better every week
badge
I don't want it, I don't need it, but I can't stop myself. - Stabbing Westward
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a question similar to this.

If a tile or action space says to take any meeple from the plaza into your gallery, or a pink/brown from the plaza into your gallery, and there aren't any of those colors, or even more specifically, not of the color you want, are you allowed to take from the bag?

(I'm sure this may have been asked before, but this thread seemed like a likely landing place)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Geller
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cardboardjunkie wrote:

If a tile or action space says to take any meeple from the plaza into your gallery, or a pink/brown from the plaza into your gallery, and there aren't any of those colors, or even more specifically, not of the color you want, are you allowed to take from the bag?

(I'm sure this may have been asked before, but this thread seemed like a likely landing place)

The Players Aid directly addresses this. It says you get to choose it from the bag.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Castree
Japan
Osaka
Osaka
flag msg tools
ACGalaga.com
badge
What da heck?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Shmello50 wrote:
Cardboardjunkie wrote:

The Players Aid directly addresses this. It says you get to choose it from the bag.

One says "Move any visitor" and "if the plaza is empty, choose one from the bag."

The other says "Move a VIP or Investor" and "if there are no VIPs or Investors, choose one from the bag."

I read it as "If you want a Investor and there are only VIPs and collectors in the Plaza, you have to choose one of those instead." In the first situation, the plaza needs to be empty before you can choose one from the bag. In the second situation, there must be no VIPs OR Investors before you can take one from the bag.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Goodridge
United States
Windsor Locks
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Currently at 1:2 ratio, getting better every week
badge
I don't want it, I don't need it, but I can't stop myself. - Stabbing Westward
mbmbmbmbmb
ACGalaga wrote:
Shmello50 wrote:
Cardboardjunkie wrote:

One says "Move any visitor" and "if the plaza is empty, choose one from the bag."

The other says "Move a VIP or Investor" and "if there are no VIPs or Investors, choose one from the bag."

I read it as "If you want a Investor and there are only VIPs and collectors in the Plaza, you have to choose one of those instead." In the first situation, the plaza needs to be empty before you can choose one from the bag. In the second situation, there must be no VIPs OR Investors before you can take one from the bag.

Yes, after having read the player's aid as suggested above, I came to the same conclusion. It reads as though the plaza has to have none of the available options to draw from the bag. So we did play it correctly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike K
United States
Fairless Hills
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cardboardjunkie wrote:
ACGalaga wrote:
Shmello50 wrote:
Cardboardjunkie wrote:

Yes, after having read the player's aid as suggested above, I came to the same conclusion. It reads as though the plaza has to have none of the available options to draw from the bag. So we did play it correctly.

What if the only Plaza visitors are Collectors, and you're already at your gallery limit? What then?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vital Lacerda
Portugal
Oeiras
flag msg tools
designer
badge
2010 - Vinhos, 2012 - CO2, 2014 - kanban, 2015 - The Gallerist, 2016 - Vinhos Deluxe, 2017 - Lisboa, 2018 - Escape Plan, CO2 Second Chance and Dragon Keepers - Maybe: 2019 - ROTW Portugal and On Mars, 2020 - Kanban Deluxe Edition
mbmbmbmbmb
Bad timing?

Edit: corrected.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike K
United States
Fairless Hills
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
newrev wrote:
Bad timming?

I take it the official ruling would be that the player in question is 'sh** outta luck'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Incao
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Buy Stronghold Games
mbmbmbmbmb
Coyotek4 wrote:
newrev wrote:
Bad timming?

I take it the official ruling would be that the player in question is 'sh** outta luck'.

YES
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Kelly
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
newrev wrote:
Bad timming?

There is absolutely NO SUCH THING as bad "Timming".
TK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maurinho
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
another quick question that came up in our latest game. If the bag is empty what happen if you use the power to take one from the bag? it's just wasted and cannot do it or you take it from the plaza?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It becomes a useless action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.