Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Timothy Yordy
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
For those that have played the game, do you feel that there are tough decisions to make sometimes?

I watched through the play through video on the kickstarter page and liked the game but often it felt like there was an obvious best choice to make from the dice results.

Have players found that to be the case or is there more to it that I couldn't get a feel for just from watching a video?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Clarke
msg tools
Grasshopper walks into a bar. Bartender says "hey, you know we have a drink named after you?"
badge
Grasshopper looks surprised and says "You have a drink named Stan?"
mb
From my playthroughs, the first ship has more decisions to make than the second.

The commander powers depend on you to decide are you going to be offensive or defense, fire or repair?

With the science officer, is it best to use the stasis on a particular threat, or rebuild all of you shields?

Does the medic pull your dice back from the infirmary or stave off the threat track a bit longer?

If the decisions seem to get too easy, remove the Don't Panic cards from the deck. The pressure of an oncoming onslaught with the decisions above make this game, for me at least, a blast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Clarke
msg tools
Grasshopper walks into a bar. Bartender says "hey, you know we have a drink named after you?"
badge
Grasshopper looks surprised and says "You have a drink named Stan?"
mb
livevyne wrote:
The commander powers depend on you to decide are you going to be offensive or defense, fire or repair?
Oh, and I should add here, with the commander, you have to decide which die face you are going to sacrifice to get the one you need.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lawson
United Kingdom
Yateley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
substandardtim wrote:
For those that have played the game, do you feel that there are tough decisions to make sometimes?

I watched through the play through video on the kickstarter page and liked the game but often it felt like there was an obvious best choice to make from the dice results.

Have players found that to be the case or is there more to it that I couldn't get a feel for just from watching a video?

Thanks
Tough decisions? There are decisions to be made but I found that almost none of them could be described as tough.

Most of the times the choices are pretty obvious. There are times they are not oblivious but in most of those cases you simply don't have enough information to make an informed choice because, well, you are rolling dice and turning over a random Threat card.

I wouldn't say the game plays you but it's not as if you can make grand strategic choices. Each turn you make small tactical choices which in most cases are straight forward.

The game does have a frustration factor, in as much that during the game you will invariably roll bad dice and invariably a bad sequence of cards turn up. Personally, I find that when this happens they is little you can really do and there would have been little you could have done previously to mitigate the bad luck. Often this seems to be the main reason you lose a game and that for me is my main complaint.

Rolling Commanders give you flexibility but then it would be better to just roll what you wanted in the first place. The disadvantage with Commanders is that they require two dice to do something (the Commander and another die to change into the Crew you want). I find that I rarely use the alternate ability of the Commander (of re-rolling the other dice).

Tactical are great, this is how you win the game in many ways. Of course you need targets to use them Deciding which Threats to target is one of the choices you have but again, the choices aren't really tough, most of the time it's obvious or it doesn't really matter if you target Threat A or Threat B.

Medical can very often be useless because you have nothing to use them on. their main function seems to be resetting a Threat. If you have one die locked in the Scanners and one die in the Infirmary, then you should invariably select the die in the Scanners. Medical rolls seems to give little choice.

Science gives a small choice but most of the time it's clear. Using the Statis Beam can sometimes be a better choice than recharging the shields. So this one gives a nice choice under the right circumstances.

Engineering are totally boring. If you roll them and you need them then you use them. Otherwise they are deadwood.

Threat are a hindrance, at least they seem to offer more choice than Engineering

You sometimes have a choice with Internal Threats or with the use of Away Teams. Again, they give a choice but they don't seem to be game making or breaking.

I've only played with the PnP ship. Different ships will mean you might play a game differently but I can't see that it makes the choices any tougher.

At a guess, I would say I've won about 50% of the games, maybe a bit more. The times I lose seem to be something of an anti-climax, mostly it's due to a bad run of Threat cards or a sequence of bad rolls. The game is short, under 30 minutes so that is good, it certainly doesn't wear out its welcome.

Given the nature of the game, I think it does what it sets out to do. If I wanted tough choices I would play something like Elder Sign but that is a much more complex and longer game. As a solo game I certainly prefer Deep Space D-6 over something like Tiny Epic Defenders (which I backed).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are concerned about luck mitigation, you can try my variant rules which allow you to use 2 unused dice to do any 1 action, but puts one of the used dice into the infirmary (thematically, the two crewmen team up to do an unfamiliar task, resulting in them succeeding but injuring one of them in the process). Makes the game ever so slightly easier, but not by much, and it gives me a feeling of being able to do *something* when I roll say all medical and have no dice to return from the infirmary/scanners.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lawson
United Kingdom
Yateley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
njshaw2 wrote:
If you are concerned about luck mitigation, you can try my variant rules which allow you to use 2 unused dice to do any 1 action, but puts one of the used dice into the infirmary (thematically, the two crewmen team up to do an unfamiliar task, resulting in them succeeding but injuring one of them in the process). Makes the game ever so slightly easier, but not by much, and it gives me a feeling of being able to do *something* when I roll say all medical and have no dice to return from the infirmary/scanners.
Sorry, off-topic...

You should post this as a new thread in the Variants forum. It's a bit off-topic here (as well as being hidden) so I don't want to derail the thread anymore by saying it sounds like the makings of a good idea.

You should also create a new thread for your USS Enterprise variant as well. Once you do, I'll post a comment about it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
xris wrote:
njshaw2 wrote:
Sorry, off-topic...

You should post this as a new thread in the Variants forum. It's a bit off-topic here (as well as being hidden) so I don't want to derail the thread anymore by saying it sounds like the makings of a good idea.

You should also create a new thread for your USS Enterprise variant as well. Once you do, I'll post a comment about it
Good plan. I'd mentioned the variant in the WIP thread a while back, before the game had its own page. Will add the variant as its own thread.

The USS Enterprise ship is still "in development", so didn't want to post that in a thread of its own until I manage to balance the actions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls