Among the Stars» Forums » Rules

Subject: Focused and Fully Operational Objectives rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Neff

Alaska
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Is the objective 'Focused' scored for locations that are in a row or columns, or only for locations that are adjacent within that row or column.

For example: if you had a grid of:
B B A
D P R
R M A
D P A

Would you score Focused for two (the 2 Business locations) or for three for the 3 Admin locations?

Also - for 'Fully Operational' how do you scale this to the new 2 player rules that use only 10 basic locations?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack S
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Focused - I'd say adjacency + row OR column (whichever is higher number)
Fully operational - Scale it down to 10 (too easy) or just reshuffle for a new one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've also considered Focused to mean "consecutively adjacent" without the single row/column restriction (taking "in a row" to just mean "consecutive" rather than referring to a literal row or column). To provide an illustration...

D A A
D A R
R A A
D X B
D M M

This could be:
5 (A, consecutive adjacent)
3 (A, consecutive adjacent single row/column)
4 (D, non-adjacent single row/column)

----

Well, Fully Operational is tricky. It's an ETA card, which means you might be playing with 18 basic locations (Base + ETA), 15 basic locations (Base + Ambassadors + ETA, 2-4 players), or more (Base + Ambassadors + ETA + 5 or 6 players).

The hardest case is 15 basic locations. 12 of these is 80%, so I would scale Fully Operational down to 8.

Having just played with BOTH of these goals in the same game last week (we ruled for "non-adjacent single row/column"), with Revival's spaceships providing aggressive blocking, it was a very interesting game. I focused on getting the different basic locations (actually getting 13!) and wound up losing by 2 to the person who had managed to win Fully Operational.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vangelis Bagiartakis
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First of all let me apologize for any confusion the "Focused" Objective creates. It was actually hard (at least to me since I'm not a native speaker) to find a way to write the text without it being ambiguous.

The correct way to play it is if you take "in a row" to mean consecutive adjacent locations. So, in the example of Carl above, it would be the first option (5 Administrative locations).

Now, as far as the Fully Operational is concerned, when it was made the game had 18 Basic Locations in the card pool. With the reduced number of cards now in the new 2-player rules, I would suggest going for 9 out of the 10 cards. Percentage-wise it is higher (as Carl calculated above) but on the other hand, with the cards appearing face-up and only 1 other player trying to stop you, I think 8 would be too easy for 7 points. Winning that Objective could easily swing the whole game so it should be hard to achieve.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hm, so the original intent of Fully Operational was 12/18 = 2/3 = 66.7%.

So if you're playing non-drafting, with base + Ambassadors or base + Revival (or both)

3/4 players = 15 basics, target would be 10
5 players = 20 basics, target would be 13.333 (round to 13)?
6 players = 24 basics, target would be 16

On the other hand, just because there are 24 basics in a 6-player game, having to spend 16 of your 24 actions building them doesn't leave much room for getting specials, power, or credits. And 13 in the 5-player is close enough to the printed 12 that I'd just leave it alone.

Probably I'd just change it to 10 for the 3/4 player game with 15 basic locations, because it already takes a lot of effort to pull this off. (I don't like playing 5-6 player anyway.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls