Coup: Rebellion G54» Forums » General

Subject: Why are all the communications actions called Propaganda? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lou Lessing
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All the other actions seem to have unique names... Is this a printing error? Does anyone know?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maldus Alver

Washington
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The actions names are sort of funny. I find it odd that the action names are printed on the influence card but not to role card. Still I heard of some people come up with some pretty good bluffs with that knowledge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
Marinealver wrote:
The actions names are sort of funny. I find it odd that the action names are printed on the influence card but not to role card. Still I heard of some people come up with some pretty good bluffs with that knowledge.
This actually bugs me a lot. It's like describing what your character looks like in The Resistance or Werewolf. Memorizing the specific aesthetics of the cards shouldn't be helpful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rikki Tahta
United States
new york
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
To be honest the names all come from Guatemala edition and i just couldn't come up with different action words for the communications without really sounding lame - sorry

In Guatemala if you look closely each icon box holding the icons is a 1950s punchcard with a different punch-hole layout for each character ( so that sort of mollified me for having the same name) One of my gaming buddies is obsessed with the history of computer systems and actually wanted to come up with a logic for where the punch holes were - but that was a little too much for me

of course I then went and misspelled Propaganda on all the cards so shot myself in the foot totally

Asmor wrote:
It's like describing what your character looks like in The Resistance or Werewolf. Memorizing the specific aesthetics of the cards shouldn't be helpful.
yes I agree - doing that's sort of a cheat

In guatemala they are on both role and influence (i guess you could describe the little bit missing in the image)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lou Lessing
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rikki wrote:
To be honest the names all come from Guatemala edition and i just couldn't come up with different action words for the communications without really sounding lame - sorry

In Guatemala if you look closely each icon box holding the icons is a 1950s punchcard with a different punch-hole layout for each character ( so that sort of mollified me for having the same name) One of my gaming buddies is obsessed with the history of computer systems and actually wanted to come up with a logic for where the punch holes were - but that was a little too much for me

of course I then went and misspelled Propaganda on all the cards so shot myself in the foot totally :(

Asmor wrote:
It's like describing what your character looks like in The Resistance or Werewolf. Memorizing the specific aesthetics of the cards shouldn't be helpful. :(
yes I agree - doing that's sort of a cheat

In guatemala they are on both role and influence (i guess you could describe the little bit missing in the image)
That makes sense. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Sparrrrow
msg tools
mb
Hey Rikki, it's very interesting that you wanted to add different names for those actions. I like all those names and this uniformity in Communication roles is really unfortunate. Was it actually such problematic? Maybe we can try to come with some propositions which you will like, so there could be some variety at least in following editions of the game?

What could be done for Guatemala 1954:

Press - Colportage, Journalism, News, Bulletin
Radio Stations - Transmission, Radiocast
Television - Broadcast, Tidings, Telecast
Foreign Media - Correspondence
Telegraph Network - Wire, Telegram, Relay

Names of Communication roles between Guatemala and IB&C G54 differ significantly, so there have to be differences also in action names:

Reporter - Information, News, Publication, Forecast, Journalism
Director - Promotion, Program
Newscaster - Propaganda, Broadcast
Producer - Development, Show
Writer - Narration, Storytelling

You are right that there is no reason to simply use synonyms for propaganda or communication as names of action, but I think there is a way to make them unique and appealing at least to some degree. Do not give up with this issue. There certainly could be something better than re-use of Propaganda.
The trouble with new names is that Propaganda sounds neat and you really want to use it somewhere, but then it could not match the others. Perhaps the solution would be using Propaganda as name of role type instead of Communications? We already know that it fits every role in the batch.

Please accept my regards. I'm very thankfull for the Coup and everything related to it. It's astonishing for me that such simple and tiny game with scarce rules can be that engaging.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cadence Alvarez-Cooper
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
There are no strings on me.
Microbadge: I play games with prideMicrobadge: Autism AcceptanceMicrobadge: Copper Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: I play a female Goblin!Microbadge: Peridot: August birthstone
I was about to ask whether that means the Producer (who "Blocks Propaganda") only blocks the Propaganda of other Producers, or whether he blocks all abilities called "Propaganda."

Then I realized I was being silly since you can never have two Communications roles in play at once anyway ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls