Yani
Switzerland
Zürich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello, another few questions that arose after a game I played today, which I could not answer by searching the forums. Any reply is highly appreciated.

1. Skeletons have 1 armor per Skeleton in their group. I attack (deal damage and push) a o Skeleton from a group of 3. The Skeleton is pushed to an empty group (was adjacent to terrain). Is his armor, for the purposes of the above attack 3, or 1? In other words, does the push or the enemy special ability take precedence?

2. An ability has the keyword "ranged", and says "hit a character". Can I hit an adjacent character? In other words, is the meaning of the "ranged" keyword according to traditional D&D, or is it just a keyword mainly for the purpose of triggering other cards?

3. The Nervous Sheep has a passive ability that triggers when "a character adjacent to it is damaged".
a. Does "damaged" mean "took at least 1 HP", or got "attacked"?
b. Does the character that gets damaged need to start next to the sheep, or can he be distant from it, but then "attacked and pushed" for the passive ability to trigger?
c. I attack and push an enemy and he dies, but if he didn't die would have been pushed adjacent to the lowest priority terrain which is the Nervous Sheep. Does the passive ability of the sheep gets triggered in this case?

4. I understand the new Trait cards have an ability on their bottom half that is optional (per expansion rules). Is the ability on the top half of the Trait cards optional too, or mandatory when it triggers?

5. Can a terrain effect be activated twice in a round? Eg a hero has 2 moves and does initiative triggering of a terrain hero effect twice in a row.

Thanks in advance
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1. It depends when the push effect takes place. In general the damage takes place after the push effect (page 19 rulebook). But skeletons have a special rule called "All bones". Therefore they also can be pushed after the attack.

2. You know Toms answer: "It generally depends on the keywords of an ability. An ability is a Melee ability if it has a Melee keyword below the illustration. An ability may be both a Melee and Ranged ability if it has both keywords." But there are also attacks that neither have the keyword "melee" nor "ranged".
I personally treat attacks that don't say "adjacent" or "distant" and don't have restictions like "engaged" or "surrounded" as global attacks.

a: damaged = losing hp, attacked = attacked damaged = attacked
b: normally damage is dealt after the push effect (page 19 rulebook)
c: again (page 19 rulebook)

4. The ability on the bottom with the dice symbols is optional. But you have to follow your handicap on the top.

5. Yes you can activate a terrain as long as you can spend dice on your maneuver card.

Ps: Please consider to take a closer look at the rulebook and the cards before asking questions. Most of your answers can easily be found there. Anyway i'm glad to help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yani
Switzerland
Zürich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your help Kha Od Dro, I appreciate it.

I can assure you that I spent plenty of time reviewing the rulebook. All the interactions I am referring above are in my opinion unclear in the rules. I would doubt your use of the adverb "easily", due to the brevity of the rules and the combinatorial complexity of various interactions especially in view of the expansions that introduced many new mechanisms.

A quick example with the Nervous Sheep question above: Is its passive ability triggered by the adjacency of the push, part of the "push effect" so it gets resolved before dealing damage to the pushed character? If so then it should not trigger at all since at the moment of its resolution the adjacent character had not been dealt damage.

Also, simple things like whether the top Trait ability is mandatory or not are nowhere to be found in the rules, at least as far as I could tell.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sure most rules often have room for interpretation. What i maybe meant with the word "easily" is the fact that in most cases it's easy for me to interpret rules in a way it makes sense to me and just play the game how i like. But i'm also fine if someone like you wants to go into detail and asks what the designers intention was . I guess its like reading a book. You could use your own imagination and think about what the writers intention was .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yani
Switzerland
Zürich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great simile, agree. It's not just about the designer's intention per se, it's also about the fact that the game has been playtested according to the rules as intended. Also, when I beat an encounter, I want to make damn sure I beat it fairly.

Hopefully Tom might also jump in and confirm some of the fine points in my questions above. He is quite active in the fora and this is appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Stasiak
Poland
Tuszyn
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
Quote:
1. Skeletons have 1 armor per Skeleton in their group. I attack (deal damage and push) a o Skeleton from a group of 3. The Skeleton is pushed to an empty group (was adjacent to terrain). Is his armor, for the purposes of the above attack 3, or 1? In other words, does the push or the enemy special ability take precedence?
You should add all modifiers, like cover shields or armor before the target becomes pushed and apply the remaining damage afterwards (expansion rule).
The order of modifiers is Cover -> Shield -> Armor.
In other words, count the armor as it was before the push.

Therefore a pushed skeleton will not have his armor reduced, this is how we balanced it. This is well worth mentioning in the errata, thank you.

Note that exception to this are cards that specifically state that the effect pushes before the attack.

Quote:
2. An ability has the keyword "ranged", and says "hit a character". Can I hit an adjacent character? In other words, is the meaning of the "ranged" keyword according to traditional D&D, or is it just a keyword mainly for the purpose of triggering other cards?
'Ranged' is just a keyword that does not imply any rules by itself. No keywords do.
Unless there is no mention of targeting distant characters and if the ability may be used when engaged, there is no problem targeting adjacent characters with it.

Quote:
3. The Nervous Sheep has a passive ability that triggers when "a character adjacent to it is damaged".
a. Does "damaged" mean "took at least 1 HP", or got "attacked"?
b. Does the character that gets damaged need to start next to the sheep, or can he be distant from it, but then "attacked and pushed" for the passive ability to trigger?
c. I attack and push an enemy and he dies, but if he didn't die would have been pushed adjacent to the lowest priority terrain which is the Nervous Sheep. Does the passive ability of the sheep gets triggered in this case?
a. It means to accept 0 or more points of damage. A character is considered to be damaged even if all was absorbed by cover, armor or shields.
b. He may be distant at the start of the attack.
c. Yes.

Quote:
4. I understand the new Trait cards have an ability on their bottom half that is optional (per expansion rules). Is the ability on the top half of the Trait cards optional too, or mandatory when it triggers?
It is not optional. The bottom part is also considered always in play, although you may decide to never use it.
Generally I recommend using the new trait cards. The expansion have been balanced with the new version of traits.

Quote:
5. Can a terrain effect be activated twice in a round? Eg a hero has 2 moves and does initiative triggering of a terrain hero effect twice in a row.
Yes, there is no limit on this.

Good questions, thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yani
Switzerland
Zürich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you Tom. Lovely game, but brutal, just brutal...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quote:
You should add all modifiers, like cover shields or armor before the target becomes pushed and apply the remaining damage afterwards (expansion rule).
The order of modifiers is Cover -> Shield -> Armor.
In other words, count the armor as it was before the push.

Therefore a pushed skeleton will not have his armor reduced, this is how we balanced it. This is well worth mentioning in the errata, thank you.
Thats a different order than the rules in the base game and it is not mentioned in the expansion rulebook. It's a good idea to put it in the errata.

By the way i think i have found a typo on the big Pyromancer encounter card: 2 Players: 12 Hp, 3 armor... ; 3 Players: 15 HP, 2 armor... ; 4 Players: 18 HP, 2 armor...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Stasiak
Poland
Tuszyn
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
Quote:
By the way i think i have found a typo on the big Pyromancer encounter card: 2 Players: 12 Hp, 3 armor... ; 3 Players: 15 HP, 2 armor... ; 4 Players: 18 HP, 2 armor...
No these values are correct.
In 2 player games one hero has more ability cards (and dice), then say a hero in a 4 player game. Therefore in 2p games heroes have a potential to perform a stronger one hit attacks.

Anyway, each player count was tested and balanced separately and these were the values that worked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thank you for the clarification, Tom.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls