Lenz Poh
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I was browsing through the updated BGG store when I suddenly thought that those cubes might just be what this game needs to resolve the color similarity problem.

Any thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Stevenson
United States
Columbus
Ga
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The previously made suggestion of putting a cube of the correct color on problem locations worked pretty well for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernhard W
Australia
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The cube colours cause problems as they are too similar:
1) natural and white cubes are the biggest problem. I go by the wood pattern on the natural ones to tell them apart if lighting isn't superb
2) black and grey cubes can be a slight problem again in suboptimal lighting. However, the biggest problem here is the colors on the cards (and one spot on the board). If you don't have both, black and grey on a card, it's hard to say for sure what color it is. Nothing to change that unless you want to use a marker.

The only good fix by changing components is probably exchanging the natural coloured cubes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Cresswell
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
My issue with these resources cubes is that they are cubes. While I can live with this, I have noticed that bringing games with wooden cubes to the table is always less desirable (to plenty of other game fans) than bringing more shapely tokens.

Has anyone managed to "pimp" their set, in a similar sense to Lords of Waterdeep, to allow shaped resources to be played with instead of these plain cubes?

One of the issues in doing is presumably that the colours used in Archon differ/conflict with established resource types used previously in more popular games.

Regards,

Stu

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
But I don’t want to go among mad people
badge
Oh, you can’t help that, we’re all mad here.
mbmbmbmbmb
werekin wrote:
My issue with these resources cubes is that they are cubes. While I can live with this, I have noticed that bringing games with wooden cubes to the table is always less desirable (to plenty of other game fans) than bringing more shapely tokens.

Has anyone managed to "pimp" their set, in a similar sense to Lords of Waterdeep, to allow shaped resources to be played with instead of these plain cubes?

One of the issues in doing is presumably that the colours used in Archon differ/conflict with established resource types used previously in more popular games.

Regards,

Stu
Item for Geeklist "Treasure Chest by Stonemaier games"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Cresswell
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
Thanks but no thanks, I don't collect dollhouse furniture.

If anyone has any suggestions for components from board games which might be compatible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Dunn
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
You toast the waffle.
badge
In a syrupy voice, the awful waffle walker tries to butter you up.
mbmbmbmbmb
So, for my group the challenge wasn't so much the color of the cubes, but rather interpreting which cube the card or action space required. If there was a card that had the similar colors right next to each other no problem, but if something had several of the same troublesome color next to each other without the darker or lighter one for contrast, then we started making mistakes. That's a little more troublesome than just finding replacement resource tokens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls