Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)» Forums » Variants

Subject: Hate the miss? Use it as blank, it works! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gandalf the Greyjoy
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Last game we decided to use miss result on the blue die as blank result. It worked pretty well. The attacks are more safe, but the tension is still there. Blank result is still pretty weak, but it doesn't ruin the fun.

Regarding cards and abilities refering to "miss" - this result still counts as "miss" in terms of naming and all possible consequences apply.

Try this out!


PS. Our other homerule we can't play without anymore are LOS rules from Imperial Assault. It's a must have.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Morehouse
United States
Redlands
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
Have you worked this into Act 2 yet? Seems like it would make less of an impact in Act 2. You could still do a LOT of damage without the blue die.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vende Vendetta
Spain
santiago de compostela
A CORUñA
flag msg tools
mb
Misses are fun and the LOS system is fine.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Lindblom
msg tools
That changes the balance of the game pretty hard. Take the Rat Swarm for instance, that doesn't roll a blue dice. It's balanced around the fact that it doesn't roll a blue die, and has the advantage of not being able to miss.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gandalf the Greyjoy
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm I think you are right. Balance is disturbed here. And Kobolds - they roll only blue die.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonia
Germany
Wolfsburg
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
vendettarock wrote:
LOS system is fine.
You are either joking or not aware how complicated those rules get
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Muad Dib wrote:
vendettarock wrote:
LOS system is fine.
You are either joking or not aware how complicated those rules get
Not to make this a LOS thread, but the LOS rules are actually incredibly simple. Literally "incredibly," as the simple rules result in situations where you can't believe you actually have LOS.

Regarding the blue blank, there are items and skills whose whole poont is to turn the miss into a blank. The kobolds are a great example of this because blank +surge:swarm can still be 4 or 5 damage easily. The miss is frustrating when it happens, but the game is built around its existence.

If you really hate to miss, play as Tarha, or as the prophet with "battle vision" for rerolls, or as the skirmisher with "unstoppable", or buy the golden mask, a cheap item that does exactly what you propose.

The OL can remove the problem of missing effectively by using groups of small monsters- a miss even every round won't cripple your damage output if you are making 5 attacks- especially with a dark fortune or two.

5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Another alternative is to treat the miss like a -1 instead of just a blank. Less frustrating than a flat-out miss, but could still cause a miss.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
GCPDblue wrote:
Another alternative is to treat the miss like a -1 instead of just a blank. Less frustrating than a flat-out miss, but could still cause a miss.
Do you mean -1 range? If so, that would be really confusing for melee attacks, as you could actually roll fewer than 0 range. If you mean -1 damage
, remember that damage<shields =\= miss.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This variant favors Melee weapons/monsters as well, since most of the range for an attack comes from the blue die. Rolling the X as a Ranged attacker would often equal a miss anyway, unless you're firing from a range of 1.

That's not to say the idea is broken, just something to consider. Maybe even useful if you would rather Melee be emphasized over Ranged.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
zaltyre wrote:
GCPDblue wrote:
Another alternative is to treat the miss like a -1 instead of just a blank. Less frustrating than a flat-out miss, but could still cause a miss.
Do you mean -1 range? If so, that would be really confusing for melee attacks, as you could actually roll fewer than 0 range. If you mean -1 damage
, remember that damage<shields =\= miss.
I mean -1 damage. So say you roll a red and a blue. Red come up with 3 Hearts, blue comes up with an X. Your total damage is 2 Hearts (3 minus 1). The defender rolls a gray die and gets 2 Shields. Everything is blocked.

That's not a "miss", but it has the same net effect. And it still gives the X a negative effect that doesn't feel totally underwhelming. No idea if that's balanced at all, but I think it would be a fun variant to try.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I always think of a true miss as different than a "no damage" because of how it inpacts whether you can spend surges.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charmy 004
Canada
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
I'd be very wary of this change. This upsets the balance of many items, overlord cards, plot cards and hero abilities and skills.

To name just a few:

The Golden Mask from Act II is useless, as it lets you treat X as a blank.

Laurel of Bloodwood's heroic feat is useless, as it lets you treat the X as a blank.

Skirmisher's Unstoppable skill is less useful, as it lets you reroll an X.

Reynhart the Worthy's feat and ability are less useful, as they let you reroll the X.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Y.
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GCPDblue wrote:
zaltyre wrote:
GCPDblue wrote:
Another alternative is to treat the miss like a -1 instead of just a blank. Less frustrating than a flat-out miss, but could still cause a miss.
Do you mean -1 range? If so, that would be really confusing for melee attacks, as you could actually roll fewer than 0 range. If you mean -1 damage
, remember that damage<shields =\= miss.
I mean -1 damage. So say you roll a red and a blue. Red come up with 3 Hearts, blue comes up with an X. Your total damage is 2 Hearts (3 minus 1). The defender rolls a gray die and gets 2 Shields. Everything is blocked.

That's not a "miss", but it has the same net effect. And it still gives the X a negative effect that doesn't feel totally underwhelming. No idea if that's balanced at all, but I think it would be a fun variant to try.
I think I may try this version of the variant out. We rolled 7 misses for the heroes and only 1 for the enemies (using the app). Really tired of prolonging the game with this nonsense.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
junio partne
msg tools
either you play the game as people thought or you dont play it. Because everything else is just cheating. IF you start changin game rules then you can also take another red dice for every attack...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls