Magallian
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As with many roleplaying games and similar like cooperative boardgames friends and I enjoy using maps as a utility to visualise the world, the campaign, the surroundings where our adventures take place. In my opinion maps can really add to the atmosphere as long as it is useful to make use of maps in these types of games we're playing. Since the world of Kingdom Death is darker than dark and the survivors start with basically nothing except a wrap around the waist and a sharp piece of stone, it is obvious that the world is unknown besides hostile to them. However as lantern years pass by and a few settlements may survive the on-slaught and continue to develop, mapmaking could be a future candidate (custom) innovation, having a stunning-looking world map available would be a great addition.

I assume there is no world map of Kingdom Death available besides the question if it is even possible to map out Kingdom Death with all the randomness of the encounters and such. A more important question might be if a game like Kingdom Death: Monster would actually benefit from having a map since the unknown and dark world keep Kingdom Death: Monster mysterious and alien as it is.

Now I haven't played KDM yet (since I am busy painting the miniatures and await the arrival of my ordered gear sleeves from Mage Company), before I surprise friends with an out-of-the-blue KDM introduction session. Perhaps some veterans can weigh in their thoughts about the benefit of the presence or absence of a world map.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Lawton
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game doesn't lend itself to a map at all. The hunts you go on and showdowns you face are simply away from the settlement. The random encounters have people turn up from or leave to the darkness without any sense of direction so I don't think it would even be possible without some serious home ruling.

The thing that you need to focus on this game is the settlement not the heroes. That settlement isn't going anywhere so it doesn't matter what is around it. As long as there are resources to be gathered then you can keep going.

Hope this helps and makes sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tenskwa Tawa
Spain
Alicante
Alicante
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In fact, there is a reason for the absence of a map, Adam said (I don't remember exactly when) that there is some kind of powerful monster that hunts and eats maps. So I would guess that those who have tried mapping the KD world have all met terrible and grotesque fates.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G K
Australia
flag msg tools
From all the flavour text and art of the game, it feels like the setting of the game world exists in some sort of hellish interconnected labyrinth.

Some parts of the labyrinth are illuminated, other parts are not. Some parts are very open, field like... while other parts are twisted like mazes. There's no natural sky to provide survivors with a bearing.

The ground is littered with the stone faces... which represent the faces of all previous survivors that have come and gone.

Intriguing world. Very dark and mysterious...

And if we had a map of it, it'd feel less mysterious. I think there's something to having you feel as spatially unaware as each new settlment that arises in the KD:M world.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Trewartha
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmb
There have been some mentions of other types of landscapes in the KDM world mostly through the resin descriptions on the store and some of the expansion descriptions. There is a great city somewhere that the game hunters come from, and swamps (possibly in a not yet done expansion), plains of grass from either the flower knight or lion god, twisted forests from the flower witch, some kind of labyrinth with the ram expansion. But nothing is really pieced together yet. I suspect it will develop over time. Probably a looong time though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jam Warrior
msg tools
Those other things are out there somewhere. But to the survivors, their world is a small point of light at the settlement, and then a whole infinite universe of black surrounding them in every direction forever.

Mapping the world would severely reduce that sense of isolation in the darkness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phoenix Bird
Antarctica
msg tools
mbmbmb
No. Definitely no.

I love maps and handouts but Kingdom Death in my mind takes place in a world that constantly moves and shifts and can’t be mapped. It is a nightmare where certainty and order have been subverted by chaos. It is the non-Euclidian ‘geography’ of Lovecraft.

Having said that the hunts do yield descriptions of recognisable places such as rivers, grasslands, and fields of teeth & boils. You could make a radial map of the hunts that took place around your settlement if you assumed that each new hunt took a different path from any of the previous. I think it would be quite neat to see each settlement’s different explored areas. Did they reach the Portcullis? The Tomb of Excellence? The Lantern Tree? I see it in etched brass hanging on the wall but that is just me.

Here are a couple of quotes that Adam has divulged about the gameworld and his thoughts on it.

“There are monsters in the world that eat maps, specifically. You would run the risk of inviting such a thing to your home, which would be bad”

“Most of what humans see and perceive is false.”

“The reasons for the stone faced floor and the perpetual darkness might be revealed thru the game or in an expansion. I love stories, and to show glimpses of this odd world. but I am afraid when it comes to "tell", I am very cautious”

The lack of map and unpredictability helps me enjoy this game. I don’t need to know where the Lantern City or the Crystal Lake is to be terrified of them.

Phoenix
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kiyoshi
United States
California
flag msg tools
Oh man, the map eater expansion would be awesome.

Includes Map Eater Monster, AI deck, Resource deck, Hit Locations, ect.
New innovations like cartography, maybe it could lead to trade with other settlements.

New Settlement Location and gear cards.

Basically this would create a new nemesis monster that comes every x amount of years while you have the cartography innovation. If you win, you get to keep any spoils from killing the monster and you get to keep your cartography and all linked innovations. If you lose, everything associated with the cartography innovation is immediately lost to the darkness, insanity increases and get some brain disorders, etc.

Maybe there can be an included sealed pouch with a "map" of Kingdom death that you can open once you survive the 25 year campaign and beat all three levels of the Map Eater.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hellena Handbasket
United States
State College
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 on the idea of a Map Eater expansion with a radial mapping gameplay element. That would be the best manner to incorporate a map into Kingdom Death, as it would allow players to gain an understanding of a defined space while not invalidating the horror element of the nightmare landscape being essentially impossible to pin down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam D
msg tools
mbmb
There could possible be a large map of the world, showing where the different realms of Kingdom death are relative to each other.

KD:M is set in the realm of the scribe.

Other realms include
The holy lands
The abysmal forest
The cities of man
The swamps of the ring tailed fox God
Where the dragon king lives
Where the sun stalker lives

Exactly what is where in each realm isn't important, as the survivors settlement is a small hamlet, they won't know that much of the world around them, maybe a few 10s of miles from where they live.

Though if you ask my settlement the world is very small, as half of the hunts reach the bottom of the world.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fuki Fino
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Slaaneth wrote:
Though if you ask my settlement the world is very small, as half of the hunts reach the bottom of the world.
Haha, poor guys. That hunt event is one of my favorite just for how absurd it is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls