9 Posts

Shadows of Brimstone: City of the Ancients» Forums » Rules

Subject: U.S. Marshall abilities rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Lundy
msg tools
mb
So I recently started a campaign with a U.S. Marshall and was having a look through his abilities, 2 in particular: "I don't think so" and "look out! ".

Can I activate "look out" to save a friend who just took 3 hours from a monster, get 30XP, and THEN activate "I don't think so and make him reroll one of those hits, which could now potentially miss even thought I've just earned 10XP for it?

Thanks

Zaineph

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adria D
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Microbadge: I love CanadaMicrobadge: Microbrewery beer loverMicrobadge: PhysicistMicrobadge: AtheistMicrobadge: I Pay it Forward First
I don't have the book handy to see the specifics, but I would say no. You need to deal with all re-rolls before you start applying the hits/damage.

So once you've reacted to a hit, you can't cancel (or attempt to cancel via re-roll) that hit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jee Fu
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah we need the specific wording. Pending that, I'm inclined to disagree with Adria, because FFP tends to be extremely lenient on the timing of what you can activate items/abilities.

- Jee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Bocketti
United States
Clifton Park
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Look Out wrote:
Use 1 Grit to transfer all Hits just taken by an adjacent Hero to yourself (before defense rolls). Gain 10 XP for each Hit transferred
I Don't Think So! wrote:
Once per turn, you may take 1 Corruption Hit to force an Enemy on your Map Tile to Re-roll a single die just rolled
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Furnivall
United States
Warsaw
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the wording. I would say yes you can. Look Out is essentially changing the target, and is applied before defense rolls. Therefore, we don't know if they'll end up being hits or will be dodged with defense. As long as we have uncertainty, I believe the potential hit is still eligible for reroll regardless of the intended target changing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adria D
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Microbadge: I love CanadaMicrobadge: Microbrewery beer loverMicrobadge: PhysicistMicrobadge: AtheistMicrobadge: I Pay it Forward First
To me, the die is no longer "just rolled" once the hits have been transferred to another hero, and therefore not available to be re-rolled.

I would not allow I Don't Think So! to be used after Look Out in the situation described. Neither would my husband (who happens to be a big fan of the Marshal class).

But we could be mistaken. It's been known to happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin N
Canada
Victoria
British columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Adria wrote:
(who happens to be a big fan of the Marshal class)
Quoted for emphasis.

I have both of these abilities on a marshal.

The way that "Look Out!" works is that you take the hits foran ally. This means that you actually have to take the hits. it also implies that the hits are happening, and thus cannot be stopped outside of defense / armor / amulet of kotak / cigar.

even if "I Don't Think So!" could be used after the fact, once you're taking the hits, you wouldn't gain any XP for the roll that "I Don't Think So!" stopped. Because you didn't take the hit. it was no longer a hit that you needed to take from your ally, ergo, no XP gained from it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jee Fu
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Adria wrote:
To me, the die is no longer "just rolled" once the hits have been transferred to another hero, and therefore not available to be re-rolled.

I would not allow I Don't Think So! to be used after Look Out in the situation described. Neither would my husband (who happens to be a big fan of the Marshal class).

But we could be mistaken. It's been known to happen.
Agree with Adria. However, you could use them in the opposite order. Since the number of Hits your friend is taking isn't set until all re-rolls have been settled, you could use I Don't Think So! first, and then use Look Out! to take whatever is left.

- Jee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Harrison
United States
Riverton
NJ
flag msg tools
I also agree.

Look Out specifically affects Hits, and I don't think so specifically affects rolls.

As Jee mentioned, they can be used together if I don't think so is used first, but not second.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls