Popular Tags: [View All]
Dennis Schwarz
Germany
Siegen
NRW
flag msg tools
Support Fridays for Future!
badge
maybe on the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one....
mbmbmbmbmb
As I am quite excited about the prospect of this game, I am already planning my Armada
So I would be really interested in the number of Star Destroyers...uuuh - individual minis that come with the game.

When looking at these images, I counted at least the following:

1 Death Star
1 Incomplete Death Star
1 Super Star-Destroyer
4 Imperial Class Star-Destroyer
4 Small Imperial Cruiser
3 AT-AT
6 AT-ST
17 TIE-Fighter
13 Stormtrooper
-------

1 Ion Laser Cannon
1 Planetary Shield Generator
1 Mon Calamari Cruiser
1 Corellian Corvette
1 Medium Transport
3 T-47 Speeder
3 X-Wing
2 Y-Wing
7 Rebel Trooper
---------------------

So what are the speculations about the other 100 minis that are NOT in the images, yet? I am guessing that there will be more of everything except the unique minis like the Death Stars and the Super Class Star Destroyer (and maybe the Ion Laser Cannon and the Shield Generator).

Also, now that I have looked really close at the board of the game, I cannot help but wonder if there will be a "hidden base" mechanic for the rebels - it seems like that, because in the top left corner of the map is a space for rebel troops and starships obviously and there is a card hidden under board that could indicate where these troops and thus the hidden base is located.

I really hope for something like this!

Also the indication of story moments like capturing Han with Boba Fett really whets my appetite for more of those and small missions like "free Han from the Hutts", "Find the Hidden Base", "Interrogate Prisoners", "Destroy the Death Star", "Destroy the Shield Generator", "Capture Luke and try to turn him to the Dark side", "Hide in an Asteroid Field", "Destroying a planet with the Death Star", etc., etc. - lots of stuff that seems like it could be easily included via event cards and mission cards.

This image also seems to indicate that you get points (victory points?) for fulfilling certain objective cards like that. So including "story based" objective cards like the ones mentioned above that players try to fulfill looks like it will probably be a mechanic in the game.
This could nicely integrate character based story objectives with military or political objectives.

I am already so much sold on this game right now
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you are right about the hidden base mechanic. It was already mentioned that the Imperials will have an objective to locate the Rebel base, so your speculations might prove right. I could see that you'd be able to deploy ships from your hidden base to locations on the board by a certain special mechanism (that will preserve secrecy of your base).

Also, the red points on those cards seem to be popularity (among those who oppose the Empire). Those points will probably helpful to win over planets to your cause.

Just guessing, by the way :-).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Clements
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
Turns out Esseb did touch the flag. Don't tell him I said so though.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you read the various pages about the game, it is clear that the Imperials have to find the base which is secret information.

One of the cards was a Homing Beacon which said you could basically "release" a captured leader, and the Rebel has to place that leader in the same region as the rebel base. So much like when they let Leia escape which led them to Yavin.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Schwarz
Germany
Siegen
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very cool - I missed that somehow

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eirik Johnsbråten
Norway
Notodden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe, and hope, that your speculations about the hidden rebel base mechanic is correct. It sounds really awesome!

Regarding the points from the objective cards, I interpret them as victory points, but I'm not sure. This is a quote from the "read more" section on the products page about Rebel victory:
Quote:
To win as the Rebel player, you need to draw attention to your cause, earning a reputation for success, and inspiring the people of many worlds to join the fight for freedom. Simply surviving is a key component of your victory plan, but that will not be enough. You will also need to make a number of precise strikes, some of which will necessitate military action.

Mechanically, you have a number of objective cards, each of which is worth a set number of reputation points, and these points push you closer and closer toward tilting the Galactic Civil War in your favor. Interestingly, you do not necessarily need to win your engagements to score these points; many of them reward you just for eliminating specific Imperial forces or a certain number of Imperial forces
My emphasis.

Alternatively, these points could be spent to make planets loyal to the rebels, and that the number of loyal planets is the victory condition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Schwarz
Germany
Siegen
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow - I somehow completely missed the "read more" section of their product page....it's like they have hidden it in plain sight
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very interesting discussion going on here.

I also hope there will be a way (not an easy one, though) to re-locate/evacuate the Rebel base, just as it happened with Echo base on Hoth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eirik Johnsbråten
Norway
Notodden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Neva Kee wrote:
Wow - I somehow completely missed the "read more" section of their product page....it's like they have hidden it in plain sight
Haha, yeah, me too. blush Happy I found it, though.

Jamiri wrote:
I also hope there will be a way (not an easy one, though) to re-locate/evacuate the Rebel base, just as it happened with Echo base on Hoth.
Yes please!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Schwarz
Germany
Siegen
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jamiri wrote:
Very interesting discussion going on here.

This sounds more like expansion material to me - but I would love this nonetheless!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Hanson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We also know that the Empire has a "probe droid" deck that they can draw cards from, presumably to help them locate the Rebel base. It appears to be visible in the bottom left corner.

And I agree that the sort of "off-map" zone with Rebel troops and ships is almost certainly the board location for the Rebel player to place units and ships at the Rebel base. Notice that it also has some production capability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dawson
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Speaking of minis, and without knowing anything about the scale, I wonder if you could use Imperial Assault minis for some of the leaders.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
concord
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
and more...

I'm looking at the map and wondering about many different things.

Like ship movement throughout the galaxy.
I see sometimes 4 planets surrounded by a green border and sometimes surrounded by a red border.

Are there benefits for movement or resources for controlling all planets within these borders?

Also I see some enlarged red spaces between some systems.
Are they impassable? (through normal means)?

The board is said to be in two pieces but I cant see the seam.
Straight down the middle? Follows some system borders like puzzle pieces?

Lastly, for now, the board size seems somewhat small\thin\short from top to bottom (only a half circle of the galaxy but from left to right seems proportional.

Do you see maybe an expansion board for the lower half making the galaxy more circular in the works?

Its all just fun speculation lol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Impeachment time
mbmbmbmbmb
More information on the games page:

FFG wrote:
Meanwhile, the galaxy in Star Wars™: Rebellion has an actual, physical shape that demands you give thought to your movement through the stars. Adjacent systems are separated by narrow borders, while thicker, orange borders hold together those systems clustered within one of the game’s eight regions. Still, the lack of serviceable hyperspace lanes prohibits direct travel between some systems that would appear to be adjacent, and the red areas between those systems indicate that no direct space travel is possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PC ichigo
Thailand
Bangbuathong
Nonthaburi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dawson_osu wrote:
Speaking of minis, and without knowing anything about the scale, I wonder if you could use Imperial Assault minis for some of the leaders.
Assume that TIE-Fighter and X-Wing is the same size as in Star Wars: Armada (which I think it is the same model). The normal unit from the Star Wars: Imperial Assault would be the same size as Death Star here.... laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eirik Johnsbråten
Norway
Notodden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hansolo88 wrote:
We also know that the Empire has a "probe droid" deck that they can draw cards from, presumably to help them locate the Rebel base. It appears to be visible in the bottom left corner.
My theory is that the probe deck consists of 32 cards, one for each location on the board. At the start of the game the rebel player(s) pick one card from that deck to mark the location of the rebel base and stick that card under the board right next to where those units in the rebel base are. When the imperial player probes during the game, he or she draws a card from the probe deck showing a location where the rebel base is not located, eliminating that location and narrowing down the search.

Remember, the text somewhere states that the rebel player(s) must reveal the location of the rebel base if there are imperial ground troops on that location. So if my speculations are correct, the imperials must move ground troops from location to location, but eliminating locations by drawing from the probe deck will help narrow down the locations you need to "visit".

I wonder if there are other mechanisms that can hint at the location of the rebel base. Like ship and leader movement in and out of the base.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tjohei wrote:
Hansolo88 wrote:
My theory is that the probe deck consists of 32 cards, one for each location on the board. At the start of the game the rebel player(s) pick one card from that deck to mark the location of the rebel base and stick that card under the board right next to where those units in the rebel base are. When the imperial player probes during the game, he or she draws a card from the probe deck showing a location where the rebel base is not located, eliminating that location and narrowing down the search.

Remember, the text somewhere states that the rebel player(s) must reveal the location of the rebel base if there are imperial ground troops on that location. So if my speculations are correct, the imperials must move ground troops from location to location, but eliminating locations by drawing from the probe deck will help narrow down the locations you need to "visit".

I wonder if there are other mechanisms that can hint at the location of the rebel base. Like ship and leader movement in and out of the base.
That sounds like a wonderful, deductive mechanism to me. There is also the card "Homing Beacon" that let's you narrow down the location to one sector.

If the above is right, the probe deck might become useless once you have narrowed it down to a few planets, as you would draw a lot of cards that you already know of to not be the rebel base location. I wonder how they handle that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hansolo88 wrote:

And I agree that the sort of "off-map" zone with Rebel troops and ships is almost certainly the board location for the Rebel player to place units and ships at the Rebel base. Notice that it also has some production capability.
But it does not have a separate production queue. Would one have to place also those ships onto the general queue on the right?

Also, if it is a secret base, why are the ships and troops on it public?
Shouldn't that be hidden, too?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Clements
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If the rebels can move the base, it might be that they can only move to a location that is "left" in the probe deck, if that is the case. Maybe if the base is attacked, they might have a card to try to escape similar to Hoth and set up somewhere else.

If they do move, no doubt loyal empire planets are not a good location, so it may be there choice of locations to move to also dwindle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eirik Johnsbråten
Norway
Notodden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jamiri wrote:
But it does not have a separate production queue. Would one have to place also those ships onto the general queue on the right?
Yes, the track on the right... There has been said very little about production and resources. The only mention of the build track I've found is the caption of the image of the board and Mon Calamari in the press release, where they say:
Quote:
... and the "3" in the green circle to their left, which indicates where any ships that you build using its resources would be placed on the build track.
How does this work? Can we assume that in one of the three phases each round we will move units from the "3" space to the "2" space and so on? Where would the units be placed when they are removed from the "1" space, I wonder...?

Jamiri wrote:
Also, if it is a secret base, why are the ships and troops on it public?
Shouldn't that be hidden, too?
I think that would be a design challenge, because then the production must be hidden too. Maybe that would be hard to pull off, and maybe there would be too much hidden stuff going on, making mistakes more probable. I don't know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree, it would be challenge. But why not be able to move items that are finished from the production queue to a location behind a screen or something. Of course, the opponent could keep track of that somehow (by writing it down as Intel), but you could add another mechanisms that would add some ambiguity to that. Perhaps by playing cards face down that could modify the number/type of units in the hidden base.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Clements
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well the planet at the side of the board is clearly the "rebel base", so the rebel can stockpile defenses for his base, but only he knows where that is. I presume the rebels have a bit more freedom about where their units appear. (just imagine a fleet suddenly dropping out of hyperspace somewhere)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luka Sremić
Croatia
Zagreb
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Did anyone notice how on the picture where all components are shown, imperial player(s) has 2 different control tokens? One with stormtrooper and one with imperial sign (or I guess it is 2 sided)? It could be maybe used in team game (but different mark is not visible on any rebel token in the picture) to differentiate the planets own by each imperial players and thus implement them both in decision making process during building of the units. Or maybe it is used to differentiate subjugated from controlled by influence planet.

Also, there is a little deck next to the each player sheet, it has a sign on it which can be found on non-starting heroes - I guess this is where you draw your new heroes from.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the dual-sided tokens really are to differentiate loyal vs. subjugated planets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Hanson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We know that the Empire can subjugate and gain the resources from even Rebel-loyal systems. But presumably there must be a downside to subjugating systems, likely tied to the missions system that we know very little about. We also don't know what is required to subjugate a system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett Potvin
United States
Brooklyn Park
MN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What about the Falcon.....I am hoping for a Falcon mini.....this game looks awesome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |