Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eirik Johnsbråten
Norway
Notodden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are many things I love about War of the Ring, but there is one thing in particular that drew me in and still fascinates me. That's all the different "what if" stories you can create. You have the setup identical to a point in the story, but from there you create your own. And the stories you create can become epic and feel just as epic as the one made by Tolkien.

I don't know what's in store for us in Rebellion, but I really hope that we will be able to create our own story. There seems to be many ways to do so, as you can move your leaders around as you wish, and they even speak of rebel leaders turning to the dark side. Spoiler alert, but as we know, in the movies noone did.

If they make a card that says you can blow up Alderaan, I will cry. But if they make a card/ability that says that you can blow up the planet in the system where the Death Star is located, I'll be happy, because we can then create our own epic stories. You see the difference?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Schwarz
Germany
Siegen
NRW
flag msg tools
Support Fridays for Future!
badge
maybe on the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one....
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think you should worry too much.

The card on their showcase page, where Boba Fett can Carbon Freeze Han just says something like "attempt on a rebel leader" and I don't see anything that wouldn't allow most if not all events to use general targets like that. So, many things will likely be quite open ended.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zoran
United Kingdom
London
Middlesex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Neva Kee wrote:

The card on their showcase page, where Boba Fett can Carbon Freeze Han just says something like "attempt on a rebel leader" and I don't see anything that wouldn't allow most if not all events to use general targets like that. So, many things will likely be quite open ended.
Well spotted, but didn't you just start a thread hoping for direct story elements in the game?!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Henry
United Kingdom
Wellington
West Midlands
flag msg tools
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/star-wars-reb...

Third image when you hit Read More on the product page shows a planet that is not Alderaan (Bothawui, The Bothan homeworld? That's what you get for spying) that has been destroyed, so I think there will be good possibilities for What Ifs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Schwarz
Germany
Siegen
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zemus wrote:
Neva Kee wrote:

Well spotted, but didn't you just start a thread hoping for direct story elements in the game?!
Story elements, yes, but I also hope for more freeform elements like mentioned above, too, where possible.

I guess elements like "Destroy a planet" or "Destroy the Death Star" or "Turn Luke" will be tied to certain personas like the Death Star, Luke, Vader or the Emperor, since there just are no other people like these, but where possible, I hope this is more open, so that I can freeze Leia, destroy Endor, make a hidden base on Alderaan, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Clements
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
Turns out Esseb did touch the flag. Don't tell him I said so though.
mbmbmbmbmb
I am sure we can just blow up Hoth with the Death Star. who cares about a shield generator?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Schwarz
Germany
Siegen
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
But what if the Death Star was just blown up and the second one isn't quite finished, yet? The Emperor expects results afterall!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eirik Johnsbråten
Norway
Notodden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, thanks for pointing me to more pages about this game. I had only read the press release, which was pretty extensive, but I didn't see the showcase or the "read more" section on the products page. Indeed there seems to be few requirements between characters and story moments, so this looks very good in this respect.

It doesn't seem like we can train Leia to become a Jedi, though, which is a shame.

Actually, so far the only way we've seen for Luke to become a Jedi is to go to Dagobah, as Yoda seems to be represented by an event card and at status ring thingy, not as a leader. Couldn't the Empire just start the game by going to Dagobah with the Death Star and blow it up? There, no light side Jedi in this game...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Clements
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am sure Dagobah is too distant a target to be a good demonstration
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Clements
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It looks like you can train Leia, but only Luke changes to a different version of himself. Any character would get the benefit of Yoda and gain the "Yoda ring" though (seems to be a reroll special ability)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Schwarz
Germany
Siegen
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kamakaze wrote:
It looks like you can train Leia, but only Luke changes to a different version of himself. Any character would get the benefit of Yoda and gain the "Yoda ring" though (seems to be a reroll special ability)
"Succeed or not succeed, there is no reroll!!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eirik Johnsbråten
Norway
Notodden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't see the Yoda-ring and being a Jedi as the same thing. But maybe it is. I don't know. I guess we'll be able to make up our minds when we see how much more powerful Luke becomes as a Jedi and what abilities that will give him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Beckler
United States
Unspecified
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I heavily played the PC game "Star Wars Rebellion", which this game seems to draw a lot of inspiration from...

I'm just speculating and have not read into this board game very deeply, but in the old PC game, the story events essentially were lightweight and ran on a timer of sorts.

At a certain point, Luke would head off to Dagobah and would not be playable for a number of turns, and upon his return, he would then be an active Force user and could begin training other Force sensitives, like Leia. Luke would then begin confronting the Emperor and Darth Vader whenever they were in the same planetary system.

A separate story timer involved Han Solo and the bounty hunters - after a while, Han would get captured and Luke, Leia, Chewbacca (along with Han) would be unusable for a while as they went off to rescue Han.

Even if the designers end up not using a similar mechanism, I'm sure they at least reviewed and considered these events and related timers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Jones
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kamakaze wrote:
The "Yoda Ring"?! You mean to tell me the Schwartz is strong with this one?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tjohei wrote:

Couldn't the Empire just start the game by going to Dagobah with the Death Star and blow it up? There, no light side Jedi in this game...
This certainly is a possibility but would require a lot of effort by the empire to prevent something that happened in another galaxy far far away, while your far away galaxy might never even see a character named Luke Skywalker

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls