Blood Rage» Forums » Rules

Subject: Dwarf Chieftain & Friggas Domain rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Colin Sibo
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Had these two in play for the dominating Serpent Clan today. Does this mean that the Dwarf invades from Valhalla for free?

I'm thinking it does but just wanting to confirm. The Dwarf is a very valuable little piece.

Also Eternal Dragons (ship upgrade) with Sea Serpent is a very lucrative Glory producer. Providing your ships die of course.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaelung Koala
msg tools
I'd say it doesn't. The 1 rage cost is for the whole effect of Frigga's Domain (which includes the ability to invade from Valhalla). Invade costs are not taken into account at all, whether they're the usual (strength of the figure) or just plain free (leaders, mystics, Dwarf Chieftain...) the whole thing is just 1 rage for everyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Sombrero
msg tools
mb
I have seen Thiago's reply but to me the way this card works at the moment is ridiculous. You are not only able to invade from Valhalla but also always for 1 rage. We have always played it's 1 for the option to play the figure and then it's the usual cost.

I hope the guys in CMON reconsider this ruling. I am all for powerful combos (a lot of fun) but this card has awesome synergy with half of other upgrades.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Prior
United Kingdom
Littleport
Cambs
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my first game a player had this card and he read it that he could take something from Valhalla and invade for 1 rage. I did not question it at the time as he had planned with this theory in mind and as it was a Frost Giant he did not have the rest of the rage to pay the full cost, it would have soured the game and he would have done things differently had he not misunderstood.

I feel that Frigga's Domain allows you to initiate an invade with a model in Valhalla, it does not alter everything you would have to do regarding an invade, including paying the usual rage due
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Sibo
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
So it's 1 rage to enact the card and then normal card costs to invade ? So for the Dwarf its still 1 rage. Still cheap for a 2 point unit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Prior
United Kingdom
Littleport
Cambs
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
that is how i read it. If I remember rightly it says that you can pay 1 rage to perform and invade action with a model in Valhalla, part of the invade action is paying the strength (few exceptions) of that model so I see no reason to assume that it bypasses that aspect of the invade action

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmie Andersson
Sweden
Malmö
Skåne
flag msg tools
badge
Uuurrh! I let him in, uuuhh, was that not cool? Arrrarrh...
mbmbmb
We have played it just the 1 point to play any figure regardless of cost, it has been powerful but the 4 games where people have had it the winner has never had it (not saying that proves anything but for us it hasn't been TOO powerful).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Prior
United Kingdom
Littleport
Cambs
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ilgoga wrote:
We have played it just the 1 point to play any figure regardless of cost, it has been powerful but the 4 games where people have had it the winner has never had it (not saying that proves anything but for us it hasn't been TOO powerful).
That is true for my first game. The player that had it and did it the incorrect way (as I perceive it) was winning but I came through and won pretty efficiently in the last age, admittedly he only did it once and it had a mediocre effect in the grand scheme of things

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaelung Koala
msg tools
Lukewild1982 wrote:
that is how i read it. If I remember rightly it says that you can pay 1 rage to perform and invade action with a model in Valhalla, part of the invade action is paying the strength (few exceptions) of that model so I see no reason to assume that it bypasses that aspect of the invade action
Already answered by Thiago (therefore official answer) :

"With Frigga's Domain, you pay 1 Rage to invade with a unit from Valhalla. No extra Rage is needed."

In this thread :

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1418214/friggas-domain

So 1 rage fits all .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Prior
United Kingdom
Littleport
Cambs
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bloody hell that is a good card then

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Avelar
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you pillage quickly the last round will be used up before the rage matters. Try not to fight his enemies so he can get them in Valhalla.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus MacTaggart
Netherlands
Almere
flag msg tools
badge
Blood Rage fan - Raven Clan - FOR THE GLORY!
mbmbmbmbmb
Lukewild1982 wrote:
There's more very good cards or combos that can be rather overwhelming.

Sometimes it's also pretty useless, if you win all battles or only lose warriors. And/or when you have quests "have at least 4 figures in Valhalla" or "you get 1 glory for each figure you release from Valhalla".

In other cases it's even stronger, for instance combined with the "receive 12 glory when you lose a ship".
Especially if you have the Sea Serpent as well (which counts as a ship for all purposes) ..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Prior
United Kingdom
Littleport
Cambs
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Teowulff wrote:
Lukewild1982 wrote:
There's more very good cards or combos that can be rather overwhelming.

Sometimes it's also pretty useless, if you win all battles or only lose warriors. And/or when you have quests "have at least 4 figures in Valhalla" or "you get 1 glory for each figure you release from Valhalla".

In other cases it's even stronger, for instance combined with the "receive 12 glory when you lose a ship".
Especially if you have the Sea Serpent as well (which counts as a ship for all purposes) ..
yet more reasons that show why this game is AWESOME!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Linus Höglund
Sweden
flag msg tools
We played with 5 players and i noticed we got an extra Dwarf Chieftain card (+5) so now we where 2 with Chieftain cards. But only one figure. Really?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Rush
msg tools
Ascotlinus wrote:
We played with 5 players and i noticed we got an extra Dwarf Chieftain card (+5) so now we where 2 with Chieftain cards. But only one figure. Really?
The extra Dwarf Chieftain (5+) card comes from the "5 Player Extras" from the kickstarter which also has the extra figure. You should only have 2 cards for the Dwarf Chieftain if you backed the kickstarter and bought the expansion at that time.

The same applies to the Dark Elf and Soldier of Hel cards and miniatures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Linus Höglund
Sweden
flag msg tools
Krushhhhh wrote:
Ascotlinus wrote:
The extra Dwarf Chieftain (5+) card comes from the "5 Player Extras" from the kickstarter which also has the extra figure. You should only have 2 cards for the Dwarf Chieftain if you backed the kickstarter and bought the expansion at that time.

The same applies to the Dark Elf and Soldier of Hel cards and miniatures.
Ugh, then i wonder where that second little sneaky Chieftain is. Because i have all expansions. Thanks for reply

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michail Giannis
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

I don't own the game but i played it and a question came up regarding the monster upgrade Dwarf Chietain.
It says that it cost no rage to upgrade or invade.

Does this NO cost refers to Dwarf Chieftain only?

I was told (and that is how we played it) that it takes effect for EVERY upgrade the owner plays from now on and also the is no INVADE cost for all the miniatures he has.
So in our game since the first age when this card was played that player paid no upgrade and no invasion cost for the whole game.

Is this correct? Is this card really so powerful?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Parker
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not correct. Clan upgrades give a general bonus to an area. All other upgrades refer specifically to that monster (or that type of unit)

Dwarf cheiftain card is free to play, and that monster is free to invade later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matheus Affonso
Brazil
Porto Alegre
RS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MountainRoot wrote:
Hello,

I don't own the game but i played it and a question came up regarding the monster upgrade Dwarf Chietain.
It says that it cost no rage to upgrade or invade.

Does this NO cost refers to Dwarf Chieftain only?

I was told (and that is how we played it) that it takes effect for EVERY upgrade the owner plays from now on and also the is no INVADE cost for all the miniatures he has.
So in our game since the first age when this card was played that player paid no upgrade and no invasion cost for the whole game.

Is this correct? Is this card really so powerful?
That would make Dwarf Chieftain the single most powerful (and perhaps broken) card in the game, especially since it is an age 1 upgrade. It would also render Frigga's Charm completely obsolete.

What the Chieftain is, is essentially a free unit, as Todd pointed out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michail Giannis
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you very much for your answers.

So the only thing that this card give you is what?

1. You still have to pay the 2 cost the first time to put the upgrade cost on your board and then take if you like the free invasion.

2. If this unit die then you can get it back on the board, with the invasion action for free.

So what does the do not pay for the upgrade cost means then?
The only thing i can think is either you don't have to pay for this unit even the first time before it hits the board or that you can play a second monster upgrade for free.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Parker
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MountainRoot wrote:
Thank you very much for your answers.
So what does the do not pay for the upgrade cost means then?
The only thing i can think is either you don't have to pay for this unit even the first time before it hits the board or that you can play a second monster upgrade for free.
Yes. Free to play the card. Free to invade later. Never any costs associated with this monster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flavio Santos
Brazil
Brasilia
Distrito Federal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What I don' get is why anyone would think that a MONSTER upgrade would affect the entire clan...

The card is crystal clear. It's a free upgrade. You never have to pay to use it. It does not affect other figures.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls