Subject: For those who really, really like the R in RSP rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon Badolato
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Report Analyzes Political Affiliation and Public Policy Views of Various U.S. Religious Groups

The Pew Research Center yesterday released a new 265-page report (full text) with an appropriately long title: U.S. Public Becoming Less Religious-- Modest Drop in Overall Rates of Belief and Practice, but Religiously Affiliated Americans Are as Observant as Before. The Report analyzes findings from Pew's 2014 Religious Landscape Study. Chapter 4 of the Report analyzes the views of various U.S. religious groups on a wide variety of social and political topics. These include political party affiliation, the role of the government, government aid to the poor, environmental regulation, homosexuality, same-sex marriage, abortion, women in the workforce, childbearing out of wedlock, immigration and evolution.

Among the interesting findings is that the religiously unaffiliated (the "nones") is now the largest single religious group among those who self-identify as Democrats or as Democratic-leaning. 28% of Democrats are unaffiliated; while only 14% of Republicans are unaffiliated. The largest religious group among Republicans is Evangelical Protestants. They comprise 38% of Republicans, but only 16% of Democrats.

http://www.pewforum.org/files/2015/11/201.11.03_RLS_II_full_...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Preisach
United States
East McKeesport
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank God (as it were)!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Professor of Pain
United States
St. Joseph
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Born in 1970
Interesting. Does this suggest that the USA is becoming not only more politically polarized but may also become more religiously polarized?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Elfbane wrote:
Interesting. Does this suggest that the USA is becoming not only more politically polarized but may also become more religiously polarized?
What's the difference?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
"Captain, although your abilities intrigue me, you are quite honestly inferior"
mbmbmbmbmb
quozl wrote:
Elfbane wrote:
What's the difference?
It can have a huge effect on many policy dialogues going forward. Since many religious viewpoints are not open for debate, if you put religious people all one pole, they become hard to compromise with. When the religious are interspersed through out the political spectrum, I think there is a better balance. It becomes less about government versus religion and more about policy versus policy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Professor of Pain
United States
St. Joseph
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Born in 1970
Based on this poll, that difference does seem to be waning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:
quozl wrote:
Elfbane wrote:
What's the difference?
It can have a huge effect on many policy dialogues going forward. Since many religious viewpoints are not open for debate, if you put religious people all one pole, they become hard to compromise with. When the religious are interspersed through out the political spectrum, I think there is a better balance. It becomes less about government versus religion and more about policy versus policy.
Not what I meant. I meant what is the difference between religion and politics?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mutton Chops
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
Yes, this is my face. Part of it, anyway.
Microbadge: You've been CakedMicrobadge: MusicianMicrobadge: AtheistMicrobadge: ComposerMicrobadge: 200 yahoo boots f*** yahoo messenger how's want boots
quozl wrote:
TheChin! wrote:
quozl wrote:
Elfbane wrote:
What's the difference?
"Politics is the art of the possible" - Otto von Bismarck

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
quozl wrote:
TheChin! wrote:
quozl wrote:
Elfbane wrote:
What's the difference?

I like this one too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: Terra Mystica fanMicrobadge: Risk Legacy fanMicrobadge: Empyreal: Spells & Steam fanMicrobadge: Yomi fanMicrobadge: Christian and LGBTQ or ally
maxo-texas wrote:
quozl wrote:
TheChin! wrote:
quozl wrote:
Elfbane wrote:
What's the difference?

I like this one too.

So of the Republicans that can actually win the nomination, Bush is the LEAST scary?

WHY???

/sigh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The title of the report confirms what I've suspected for years: the casually faithful are being weeded out. This is becoming less and less of a world where the show-up-on-Sunday crowd will be able to make it. If you don't let your faith change who you are, your faith (such as it is) will get swallowed up.

But hey, you had faith for a moment once, so you're good. Right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GameCrossing wrote:
The title of the report confirms what I've suspected for years: the casually faithful are being weeded out. This is becoming less and less of a world where the show-up-on-Sunday crowd will be able to make it. If you don't let your faith change who you are, your faith (such as it is) will get swallowed up.

Are the casually faithful that much different from the non-faithful on the righteousness scale? Shouldn't it be refreshing to know all the front-runners are getting out the way and not confusing the conversation of the devout with their wishy-washy adherence to cherry picked dogma?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:

Are the casually faithful that much different from the non-faithful on the righteousness scale? Shouldn't it be refreshing to know all the front-runners are getting out the way and not confusing the conversation of the devout with their wishy-washy adherence to cherry picked dogma?
I'm not talking about righteousness. I'm talking about faith. Faith must be fed. And before when this country was treated by default as a Christian nation, people could go through feeling faithful without really being fed. Society would help delude them into thinking they were accomplishing something with their faith on account of their social club accepted them. But now, with the Christianity of this nation being challenged/questioned/threatened/whatevered, there are far more ways for a person's lack of soul-changing faith to highlight how shallow it truly is.

My honest hope is that in the next decade or two, the casually faithful get weeded out and those who actually -live- Christian lives come to the forefront and become the models of what Christianity stands for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bat Profile
United States
Sandworms USA
Plateau of Leng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shampoo4you wrote:

So of the Republicans that can actually win the nomination, Bush is the LEAST scary?

WHY???

/sigh
Actually Christie because I know I can out run him if he tries to eat me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the decline has a lot to do with the loss in faith of institutions such as government. "they all lie and cheat and I get screwed"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Preisach
United States
East McKeesport
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GameCrossing wrote:
TheChin! wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:

I'm not talking about righteousness. I'm talking about faith. Faith must be fed. And before when this country was treated by default as a Christian nation, people could go through feeling faithful without really being fed. Society would help delude them into thinking they were accomplishing something with their faith on account of their social club accepted them. But now, with the Christianity of this nation being challenged/questioned/threatened/whatevered, there are far more ways for a person's lack of soul-changing faith to highlight how shallow it truly is.

My honest hope is that in the next decade or two, the casually faithful get weeded out and those who actually -live- Christian lives come to the forefront and become the models of what Christianity stands for.
More likely is that they'll just slowly die off leaving behind a small dense core of believers that few will notice or care about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GameCrossing wrote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls