Subject: Help with finding a good clue - three and four words rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Will Yum
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
Microbadge: I play with red!
We just played several games in a row and had challenges with some of the last words in our games. We could not come up with a good (obvious) clue for the last three or four words (in two different games).

Anyone have a good idea for a clue?

(Yes, I know this is taken out of context and that you will not be able to use a zero clue, but just seeking out ideas.)

==

Three words left = Bottle, Tag, Club.

We were able to relate any two of the three words. But could not come up with a good one for all three.

==

Four words left = Back, Tick, Stock, Ketchup.

These last four words were beyond tough.

==

Thanks!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
Microbadge: I'm part of the best board gaming group on Facebook Microbadge: slickerdrips fanMicrobadge: Mage Knight Board Game fanMicrobadge: Love Spreader of the WeekMicrobadge: Geek of the Week
I struggle to link more than two words. Linking two is normally ok, unless the other team are good.

"Kitchen" might be a clue for Ketchup and Stock.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
Microbadge: Mage Knight Board Game fanMicrobadge: Creative Commons fanMicrobadge: Invisible Pink UnicornMicrobadge: Innovation fanMicrobadge: Twilight Struggle fan
willyum wrote:
We just played several games in a row and had challenges with some of the last words in our games. We could not come up with a good (obvious) clue for the last three or four words (in two different games).

(Yes, I know this is taken out of context and that you will not be able to use a zero clue, but just seeking out ideas.)

==

We were able to relate any two of the three words. But could not come up with a good one for all three.

==

==

Thanks!!!

Three words: "Impact?" Something to do with contact? All three are verbs that involve hitting/touching someone.

Four words: I got nothing. "Gambling" might be OK for the first three, but something that includes ketchup...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B-G
United Kingdom
Leeds
W Yorks
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Dixit fanMicrobadge: Agricola fanMicrobadge: The Resistance: Avalon fanMicrobadge: Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization fanMicrobadge: Neanderthal fan
"Check" links Stock (Stock Check), Tick (Check mark) and Back (Check back). The last one is pretty tenuous though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rundle
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
Microbadge: I go to London on BoardMicrobadge: Tichu fanMicrobadge: Legion of Super-Heroes fanMicrobadge: The Resistance: Avalon fanMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek Veteran
willyum wrote:
I might try 'leather'. Some bottles used to be made of leather, a luggage tag may be made of leather, and one can attend a leather club if one is into that sort of thing.

Whether your team-mates would actually guess this is another matter!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ali Cali
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Mage Knight Board Game fanMicrobadge: Innovation fanMicrobadge: Vladimir Chvátil fanMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Through the Ages: A New Story of Civilization fan
DAAAN wrote:
"Check" links Stock (Stock Check), Tick (Check mark) and Back (Check back). The last one is pretty tenuous though.
Back check is a hockey term, so that's pretty good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deb Wentworth
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Microbadge: University of MinnesotaMicrobadge: What the heck was I doing again?Microbadge: Cooperative Games fanMicrobadge: Dog loverMicrobadge: I'm a Pandemic Iberia fan!
Game?

Tag is a game, spin the bottle is a game, you play games at a club

Maybe?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Level 13 BGG posterMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Geek RegularMicrobadge: Golden MeepleMicrobadge: Tichu fan
NERVOUS - 3 , just 'might' get 3 of the last group. 'might'

nerves-spine-back
nervous tic(k) (homophone)
nervous Stock Market (yeah, I know....)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Suitland
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: 2018 RPG Geek Play-by-Forum Initiative participantMicrobadge: Level 20 RPGG posterMicrobadge: I have 100000 thumbsMicrobadge: BeardedGameGeek Golden Beard winnerMicrobadge: I play obfuscate on my phone!
Bludgeon for bottle, tag, and club.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
Microbadge: Mage Knight Board Game fanMicrobadge: Creative Commons fanMicrobadge: Invisible Pink UnicornMicrobadge: Innovation fanMicrobadge: Twilight Struggle fan
downeymb wrote:
Bludgeon for bottle, tag, and club.
I think we're thinking on the same lines (see my "impact", above), but how does bludgeon lead to tag? I thought tag > bullet impact (or at least a hard touch in a kids' game), but I can't make the connection with bludgeon. Having said that I do think bludgeon would lead much more surely to bottle and club than impact would.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
willyum wrote:
Valet 3 (valet receipt tag and bottle service for the VIP at the club)
Gang 3 ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
My words literally betray me.
Microbadge: Antiquity fanMicrobadge: I've got a theory... it could be bunnies!Microbadge: Platinum Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: Level 20 BGG posterMicrobadge: I play with red!
willyum wrote:

==

==

==

Thanks!!!

a better discussion would be showing us all 8 or 9 words. Sometimes the trick to getting your words in less rounds is grouping them differently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Suitland
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: 2018 RPG Geek Play-by-Forum Initiative participantMicrobadge: Level 20 RPGG posterMicrobadge: I have 100000 thumbsMicrobadge: BeardedGameGeek Golden Beard winnerMicrobadge: I play obfuscate on my phone!
Benkyo wrote:
I think we're thinking on the same lines (see my "impact", above), but how does bludgeon lead to tag? I thought tag > bullet impact (or at least a hard touch in a kids' game), but I can't make the connection with bludgeon. Having said that I do think bludgeon would lead much more surely to bottle and club than impact would.
Meant to say "Bludgeoned" - trying to reference a tag on a body at a morgue (who may have been bludgeoned to death).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Taylor
United Kingdom
FARINGDON
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Golden MeepleMicrobadge: Silver Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: DellCon fanMicrobadge: I'm part of the best board gaming group on Facebook Microbadge: Liverpool fan
willyum wrote:
I can get a risky 4 with choice

Choice Stock
Choice of condiment (Ketchup)
Choice on a form (tick box)
Choice of direction (back)

What other opponent words were out could strengthen or weaken it though (as choice is pretty broad) and it's already pretty weak.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moose Detective
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
Than Sense
badge
Is it a moose that became a detective ? Or a detective who searches for moose?
Microbadge: Gloomhaven fanMicrobadge: Gloomhaven fanMicrobadge: Gloomhaven fanMicrobadge: Gloomhaven fanMicrobadge: Important announcement about BGG communication!
willyum wrote:

It just doesn't work this way. Sure, sometimes you can link words by just having words (like a previous example of war and fish - linked by sword, or monger) but most times the links for words 3/4/5 will be a bit of a stretch. And the clues only become feasible by RULING OUT the other words.

For the first three, I might say BRAWL. because you might tag someone with a punch, club them with something, or break a bottle over their head.
But that really only works if there's no other fight-related or smash brothers related words on the table.

For the second set I might say SPOON. the Tick says SPOON as his catchphrase, "spoon" is a position where you hug someones back, you can stir soup stock with a spoon, and ...you could put ketchup on something with a spoon? Ketchup is a stretch, and depending on players they might not know who the Tick is. But again, if fork or knife or round on the table, spoon will be a failure and they will never get to make the leap to some other words.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Suitland
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Spoooooooooooooooooooooooooon!

I almost said that earlier, but couldn't see Stock and Back. Nice match!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
Microbadge: Terraforming Mars fanMicrobadge: Terraforming Mars fanMicrobadge: Terraforming Mars fanMicrobadge: Terraforming Mars fanMicrobadge: Terraforming Mars fan
willyum wrote:

A stretch, but how about Game 3? (Spin the Bottle, Tag, ...any game you play with a club or at a club)

My girlfriend came up with Chaser 3. I like it!

Quote:
Order 3 might get them to at least three of those. Eh, that's hard.

GF says Campfire 4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moose Detective
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
Than Sense
badge
Is it a moose that became a detective ? Or a detective who searches for moose?
Microbadge: Gloomhaven fanMicrobadge: Gloomhaven fanMicrobadge: Gloomhaven fanMicrobadge: Gloomhaven fanMicrobadge: Important announcement about BGG communication!
willyum wrote:

GF came home and suggested

SODA

Soda bottle, club soda, and ..price tag? or tag as a tab substitute (for either the brand name or the pull-tab on the can.

and

INVENTORY

you perform inventory by tick-ing off your list of your stock, which is usually kept in the back, and might contain ketchup.

I think I might like hers more than mine. Except for the fact that I used the Tick in mine, so I get cool points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Howell                (What's Right?) (What's Wrong?)        
United States
Northridge
California
flag msg tools
Brought to you by Zik Zak
badge
Brought to you by Zik Zak
Microbadge: Extra Life participantMicrobadge: plusMicrobadge: GameNight! fanMicrobadge: equalsMicrobadge: Insomnia
willyum wrote:

Bartender 3.

Bottle = Alcohol in a bar
Club = A type of bar
Tag = Name tag on the Bartender (I know that this is the one that is the stretch).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls