Olivier Mc'Art
Belgium
Lillois
flag msg tools
badge
AllYearLong Santa
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi

Yesterday, playing with my wife, we came to a strange situation.

I had completed my moat, she didn't. The available rooms left on buying zone were big rooms, no garden. With the set-up of my inner castle, I could not fit any of the room.

(Sorry for the quality)

So my wife used those turns to either buy moat, complete blue rooms to add only big rooms on the stack or buy corridors and such.
She made a big use of that time and earned an impressive amount of points.

I do not complain as I wrongly picked my tiles (and I'm truly happy when my wife finds ways of winning against me that i didn't see).
What I find strange, is that in a round where nobody bought a tile, there was no change to the tiles available for the next round! (except +1000m to all tiles)
Shouldn't there be like a rule to eliminate the highest or lowest price tile?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Saari
Finland
flag msg tools
http://www.lautapeliopas.fi/ - the best Finnish board game resource!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, that hasn't really been a concern before the moats were added.

I counted 18 rooms from your castle. You got one corridor for free, but that's still quite a few rooms in a two-player game. When the room deck only has 22 cards, your wife shouldn't have had many turns to play without you.

Did you remember to discard cards when buying Moats? Or are you perhaps playing with 33 cards in the deck? Something's off here, and I think if you play with the correct rules and the correct 22-card pack, this shouldn't be an issue. Even if you got blocked like this, you shouldn't have to pass for many turns before the game's over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olivier Mc'Art
Belgium
Lillois
flag msg tools
badge
AllYearLong Santa
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm playing with the 22 deck size.
And yes, we were discarding cards when building moats.

But: Many blue rooms were played, closed and used with full bonus (2 tiles on the stack, which is a lot for a 2p game).
Also, the starting of my wife was not so good and she passed 3 times if I remember correctly. That's why I have more tiles than expected.

In the end, if I remember correctly, I had to pass 5 times because of her strategy to leave only large tiles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Saari
Finland
flag msg tools
http://www.lautapeliopas.fi/ - the best Finnish board game resource!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, in that case I'd say it's a special case, and unlikely to happen again. Passing three times is highly unusual, and I've rarely seen more than one or two blue rooms completed.

I'd say congrats to your wife for her clever strategy, but it's probably not worth the extra overhead to add a ruling for this situation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olivier Mc'Art
Belgium
Lillois
flag msg tools
badge
AllYearLong Santa
mbmbmbmbmb
You're probably right.
I could imagine really screwing up my castle by bying only large tiles in early game... but Hé! That would be my fault.

So I'll pass the word to my wife she made something no expected but very smart

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Crawford
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's worth nothing that such a thing is possible without the expansion, but much more rare. The rules don't allow you to place a room that would fully close off all entrances. But you CAN place a room that makes it so that the only entrance is a small corner with no room to place any room there. If you do this, then you can't place any more rooms for the rest of the game. It's just a lot easier with the moats, if you build all 3 moats.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.