1914: Offensive à outrance» Forums » Rules

Subject: Combat resolving related to Asset units rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Stedt
Sweden
flag msg tools
Microbadge: 5 Year Geek Veteran
Would like to ask for some input to better understand.

The situation is the following:
The French attack with one formation (13/21) from hex 59.61 into 60.60, and with one Asset unit (57.60.61 CH) from hex 59.60 into 60.60.

The Germans defend with two asset units (Ipfelkofer and rlR.99).

The attack was prepared (shift right). The odds change from 3:1 to 4:1.

Die roll give White 1 and Black 4. Proficeincy DRM -1 give line 0 in the CRT with subline 4 (- / +3). No intense battle.

So now for the PCEC. AV can max be 2 per force. I understand that Asset units have no AV? So the French pass without any worries. The French AV is 4 but lowered to 2 due to terrain. On the artillery table the Germans would get an artiller DRM of 0. Die roll gives 9 +3(CRT) = 12.

The Ipfelkofer has a CE of 10 and the rlR.99 has a CE of 11. In normal circumstances, if they were formations, they would get a CE -1 individualy. Now they are Asset units, so,I flip the counters over and give them both an SR of -2. Is that correct?

That would give them AS of -1.

Please give any comments

Kr Mark

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Stedt
Sweden
flag msg tools
A comment on my comment

An earlier thread verifies that you only flip the asset unit over.

So the only open question would be to verify that the asset unit does not have any AV.

Of course, feel free to comment anyway!

Kr / Mark

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Mark I can look at the actual counter later but if the asset does not have an AV on it it does not have an AV lol. What makes you ask?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Stedt
Sweden
flag msg tools
Just got confused. Sometimes one take things for granted and then there is this small rule somewhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Roger. I was wondering if I misunderstood something you were asking. There are a few small rules around lol.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Smith
United States
Capitola
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Theduckhound wrote:
Would like to ask for some input to better understand.

The situation is the following:
The French attack with one formation (13/21) from hex 59.61 into 60.60, and with one Asset unit (57.60.61 CH) from hex 59.60 into 60.60.

The Germans defend with two asset units (Ipfelkofer and rlR.99).

The attack was prepared (shift right). The odds change from 3:1 to 4:1.

Die roll give White 1 and Black 4. Proficeincy DRM -1 give line 0 in the CRT with subline 4 (- / +3). No intense battle.

So now for the PCEC. AV can max be 2 per force. I understand that Asset units have no AV? So the French pass without any worries. The French AV is 4 but lowered to 2 due to terrain. On the artillery table the Germans would get an artiller DRM of 0. Die roll gives 9 +3(CRT) = 12.

The Ipfelkofer has a CE of 10 and the rlR.99 has a CE of 11. In normal circumstances, if they were formations, they would get a CE -1 individualy. Now they are Asset units, so,I flip the counters over and give them both an SR of -2. Is that correct?
You're almost correct. In general, a SR marker is never placed on an asset unit (exception: reduced Belgian brigade 24.2). If the asset unit has a reverse side, the strength reduction is recorded when it is flipped over. If it is already on its reverse side or does not have a reverse side (i.e. it's blank) it is permanently eliminated. Both of the units in your example have reduced strength backsides. Also, in your example the strength reduction would only be applied to one of the two units.

The relevant passage from the rule book is quoted below.

Quote:
5.5.2 Combat Effectiveness: An Asset Unit’s Base Combat Effectiveness number is printed (encircled) left of the unit type symbol. The CEL of an Asset Unit is constant and cannot be reduced. If an unassigned Asset Unit is required to reduce its CEL, the unit suffers a Strength Reduction and is either flipped over to its reduced strength side or, if it is already on its reduced strength side or has no reduced strength side, it is eliminated.
Eliminated Asset Units are permanently eliminated.
PLAY NOTE: If a Force consisting of two Asset Units suffers a CEL reduction, only one SR per CEL reduction is applied.
EXAMPLE: A Force consisting of two Asset Units suffers a reduction of two CELs. This is transformed into two SRs to be distributed between the two Asset Units.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Stedt
Sweden
flag msg tools
Thanks,

Another question related to asset units; Belgian units with a number of SR's are reduced to asset units. This is done by removing their corresponding Attachment marker. Ok. But then the units have no CE value, or does a Belgian asset unit inherent the former CE value?

Kr Mark

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Smith
United States
Capitola
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Only the two Belgian brigades (X) 14 bd and 15 bd are replaced with asset units. Like any other asset unit, the secondary counters used to replace these brigades after two strength reductions have their CEL given on the counter as a circled number.

The secondary counters for the six Belgian divisions (XX) are independent divisions. They are not asset units. So continue using the attachment markers to record CELs.

Here's the relevant passage from the rules.

Quote:
24.2 Lack of Belgian Replacements
Belgian units can never recover Strength Reductions.
24.2.1 Two Unit Counters: Each Belgian Formation is represented by two unit counters, a primary counter with higher strength numbers, and a secondary counter with lower strength numbers. When a Belgian strength reduced unit suffers a Strength Reduction, exchange the secondary counter for the primary counter. Place the secondary counter on its full strength side.

• A reduced strength Belgian brigade that suffers a Strength Reduction is transformed into a regiment-sized Asset Unit (remove its corresponding Attachment marker).

• If a reduced strength secondary counter suffers a SR place a –2 Strength Reduction marker on it. If it suffers another SR flip the marker to its –4 side. If it suffers a third SR the unit is eliminated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Stedt
Sweden
flag msg tools
Many thanks!
Mark
 Thumb up
 tip