Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
20 Posts

Operation Dauntless: The Battles for Fontenay and Rauray, France, June 1944» Forums » General

Subject: Box Art ... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Bosmans
Belgium
Mechelen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this game will be a certain buy for me when it launches.

I have been reading a lot about the battles and the system already and it appeals to have a grand tactical wargame on a battle this detailed (without having to spend 250 bucks on an untried system like some other Normandy games ...).

The previous Russian Finish fight was not holding my attention, but this one did.

------

The only thing I don't like is the BOX...

Great map, Great counters, but a black and white map ? When WW2 movies are remastered to have full color ?

The box will hardly pull players in is my guess. Not that it is needed for a wargame ... but still...

Even after 30 years I am still attracted to some games by their epic boxes...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Conroy
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Normally I'm one of the people complaining about box art but in this case I like it! Some of those 1980s painted box covers were pretty awful in my view..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcin Rewucki
Poland
Szczecin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The box art is IMO rather ugly but it`s the content that matters. And the content is awesome. When I saw this gorgeous map with large hexes i knew it was going to be a must buy for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rumpelstilskin
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a matter of personal taste.

IMHO this is a really fine box cover, it has the taste of "original" if you know what I mean. It is just like looking in history books about WW2, where you will find lots of pictures like this.

As I said - a matter of personal taste.

For me it's an AA+ in rating terms

edited for orthography
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mokszycki
United States
Snohomish
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the box art but thanks for your honesty. I asked Rodger MacGowan to use those particular images and arrange them into a collage with a similar layout to the one on the Red Winter box front, only using green instead of white as the dominant color. I even created some mock-ups for him. I got exactly what I asked for and I'm happy with the result. The idea to make the individual images appear as old photographs was entirely Rodger's, but I think it's a nice touch and adds some period flavor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Dano
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
brommi wrote:
This is a matter of personal taste.

IMHO this is a really fine box cover, it has the taste of "original" if you know what I mean. It is just like looking in history books about WW2, where you will find lots of pictures like this.

As I said - a matter of personal taste.

For me it's an AA+ in rating terms

My thoughts exactly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manu
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
I am not a cyborg!
mbmbmbmbmb
Quite love the box art myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martyn Smith
England
Bourne
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
badge
"We don't see things as they are, but as we are." Anais Nin
mbmbmbmbmb
For me the box is stark, simple and very evocative - understated but classy...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Normandeau
Canada
Quebec
QUEBEC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I quite like the style and layout of the photographs. Very gritty and attractive.

There are two things I don't like as much about the cover (and this is purely kvetching)

The first is the plain green around the images. It makes the box look a bit less professional and doesn't complement the images as well as it could.

The second is that the treatment of the three images seems unequal. The contrast and sharpness of the top one seems much higher than the two on the bottom. Also, the tint of the top one is much more blue.

Again, this is all pretty minor but since we can't complain about much regarding the design of this game (or Red Winter), we have to try harder to find things to talk about
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mokszycki
United States
Snohomish
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
There are two things I don't like as much about the cover (and this is purely kvetching)

The first is the plain green around the images. It makes the box look a bit less professional and doesn't complement the images as well as it could.

While it is, again, a matter of personal taste, I don't find anything "off" about the plain green. Most of the GMT boxes on my shelf use plain, solid colors as their background, so I guess I'm used to it. It's the "GMT look." The green I sent Rodger as a sample was a much more vivid, emerald green --probably too vivid -- and I think the lower-saturation grayish green he chose is a good fit. It sits well with the theme of aging photos imo and helps with the gritty look. My emerald green would have been overkill and Rodger had the artistic good taste to know that.

Quote:
The second is that the treatment of the three images seems unequal. The contrast and sharpness of the top one seems much higher than the two on the bottom. Also, the tint of the top one is much more blue.

I'm guessing that was intentional and he was going for sepia tone photo look with the bottom two. Not all old photos are made of the same material or age the same way. The top one almost looks more like aging celluloid to me.

I also think the box front art looks better in context, when viewed along with the side and back art. I'll post those now...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Normandeau
Canada
Quebec
QUEBEC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
duckweed wrote:
I also think the box front art looks better in context, when viewed along with the side and back art. I'll post those now...

Cool, can't wait to see!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manu
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
I am not a cyborg!
mbmbmbmbmb
I gotta say Mark that there simply is no other wargame on my horizon that I am more excited to play than this one. I kinda feel that this will be THE ONE for me, for this kind of scale and theatre of operation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martyn Smith
England
Bourne
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
supamanu wrote:
I gotta say Mark that there simply is no other wargame on my horizon that I am more excited to play than this one. I kinda feel that this will be THE ONE for me, for this kind of scale and theatre of operation.

My thoughts exactly...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mokszycki
United States
Snohomish
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

Glad to hear! I hope you'll be satisfied with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martyn Smith
England
Bourne
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The only very slight fear that I have is that the game might be a little bit overwhelming for me in comparison to RW.

It's very exciting and intriguing to see so many rules and playbooks, etc - but a small part of me wonders whether they might put the game out of reach for me in some way in terms of accessibility and ease of play.

There is no doubt that RW is one tricky act to follow and yet I realise that designers want to 'crank it up a notch'. The truth is that I too always want more - I just hope this won't prove 'too much'...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Conroy
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm also slightly apprehensive about the complexity. RW seemed a fairly accessible game but looking at the rulebook for this it seems to have more moving parts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mokszycki
United States
Snohomish
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are indeed a few more subsystems this time (there was no way around it for a Normandy game) but they are, individually, as simple as the systems used in Red Winter. Rest assured, I'll check the forums daily and answer any questions you guys might have as they come up. I also plan on creating some detailed, play-by-play examples of complete game turns once the vassal module is updated.

Oh, and let's not forget two Getting Started cards plus eleven short tutorial scenarios. Those will walk you through the rules incrementally, adding a layer at a time while keeping the learning curve very manageable.

Seriously, if you have experience with Red Winter and you're comfortable with that game, you should have nothing to worry about. The main additions are concealment, AT Fire, and the chit draw procedure for determining order and number of AT Fire attacks in Assaults (only used if there are vehicles on one or both sides). Those add some additional rules not found in the former game. But, on the other hand, I've stripped away the rules for night raids, sub-zero losses, ski movement, and a few others. So the overall increase in complexity isn't huge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mokszycki
United States
Snohomish
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fyi the box back is now posted, as a comparison: https://boardgamegeek.com/image/2741679/operation-dauntless-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bosmans
Belgium
Mechelen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
duckweed wrote:
There are indeed a few more subsystems this time (there was no way around it for a Normandy game) but they are, individually, as simple as the systems used in Red Winter. Rest assured, I'll check the forums daily and answer any questions you guys might have as they come up. I also plan on creating some detailed, play-by-play examples of complete game turns once the vassal module is updated.

Oh, and let's not forget two Getting Started cards plus eleven short tutorial scenarios. Those will walk you through the rules incrementally, adding a layer at a time while keeping the learning curve very manageable.

Seriously, if you have experience with Red Winter and you're comfortable with that game, you should have nothing to worry about. The main additions are concealment, AT Fire, and the chit draw procedure for determining order and number of AT Fire attacks in Assaults (only used if there are vehicles on one or both sides). Those add some additional rules not found in the former game. But, on the other hand, I've stripped away the rules for night raids, sub-zero losses, ski movement, and a few others. So the overall increase in complexity isn't huge.

I like your comment about the starter scenarios and the walk through rules adding layers.

I was impressed by the way GMT handled this in Wing Leader too. It eased you into a game with 40 pages of rules with exciting small scenarios that wanted you to go further until the complete orcherstre was in full swing.

I hope this game gets this incremental learning system too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mokszycki
United States
Snohomish
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The tutorials and Getting Started cards were a late addition to the game but they have been thoroughly playtested. The whole idea was to ease the players into the game with incremental rules--much more so than with Red Winter which had only one tutorial to introduce all of the main game concepts.

If you're curious, check out the eleven tutorials. Download the Scenario Book plus the two Getting Started cards (Infantry + Armor).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.