Subject: The Hand...lost with colours... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric LAURENT
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yesterday we met The Hand for the first time but we played in black and white

Each survivor has a Polarized Aura card and we noticed that both AI and HP cards refer to the lenses (opend or closed eyes) and the colours (Blue, Red, Green) but we could not find in the rulebook or on the cards how the survivors get coloured tokens on Polarized Aura cards nor how many they can have.

How do you handle it...we are lost (and dead).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phoenix Bird
Antarctica
msg tools
mbmbmb
A survivor’s Aura is determined by the Affinities they have.

The Affinities are the Red, Green and Blue edges on your gear cards that are matched to other identical colours. They are how you activate the special powers on your Luck Token, Monster Necklace, and Zanbato, etc.

If you have more of one colour (i.e. more completed Red squares in your gear grid) then your aura is this colour.

If you have an equal amount of two colours your aura is both of these colours.

If they are all equal or you have none then you have a White Aura.
You put the coloured tokens on your Polarised Aura Survivor Status card to help you and the Monster Controller see what Aura you have when applying the Hand’s combat effects.

Unless your Gear is destroyed during combat you don’t change the tokens.

I hope this helps.

Phoenix
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric LAURENT
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Phoenix.

So if I don't have any affinities on my board could I fight The Hand without triggering the coloured effects of AI and HL cards ?

Other question : in this case the eyes won't open, am I right ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Nudi
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
moavoamoatu wrote:
Thanks Phoenix.

So if I don't have any affinities on my board could I fight The Hand without triggering the coloured effects of AI and HL cards ?

Other question : in this case the eyes won't open, am I right ?
Remember that for KD, "the most" can be 0. So if you have 0 affinities of any color, you have a White Aura. If you have the most Red and Blue (2 each for example), then you have a Red/Blue aura.

When you hit wound the Hand, you open a lens of any color in your aura. If your aura is red/blue, you can choose either red or blue. If your aura is white, you can choose any color, etc.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
The Hand really isn't so bad if you make sure that you're careful to attack just enough to (open and) close all of his lenses before the end of his turn. Certain Hit Location cards will close the Hand's lenses if all of them are already open. Others will allow you to flip any lens of your choice (possibly on crit?). The key is choosing the correct order to flip lenses for your particular build to take advantage of attributes or avoid attributes (one lens makes certain HLs superdense...not good for a Zanbato wielder). A cat's eye circlet helps a lot for this fight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, spoiler territory, I guess first, some suggestions:

We've beaten a level 2 hand without attacking. It's counterintuitive and a little boring, but how we've done it, though I highly doubt a level would allow us to last so long.

And a question on color:
How are people closing the eyes? We've seen a move or two that did it, and maybe on a move or two, but didn't see a reliable way of removing them- is there something obvious we overlooked?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Nudi
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
spiralingcadaver wrote:

We've beaten a level 2 hand without attacking. It's counterintuitive and a little boring, but how we've done it, though I highly doubt a level would allow us to last so long.

And a question on color:
How are people closing the eyes? We've seen a move or two that did it, and maybe on a move or two, but didn't see a reliable way of removing them- is there something obvious we overlooked?
Bring 1-2 cat's eye circlets for reading and reordering the Hand's HLs. Getting a claw head arrow hit at the beginning of the fight (and most any fight) helps to be sure you hit.

Zanbatos are always our weapon of preference as they can take the hand to 12 wound markers in 6 successful hits. Additionally, they're one hit at a time, so you don't run the risk of closing all lenses, then reopening one lens.

Figure out the order you want the lenses opened for both attacking purposes and defensive purposes.

If you start a round with 1 or two misses, stop, take your licks, and then try again next round or you might end up with 1-2 eyes open instead of all eyes closed. Similarly, don't bother using your last attack if you got some damage in and then managed to close the Hand's lenses. Save your survival rather than surging for one more hit that'll reopen a closed eye and wait for next round.

Get lucky. I don't mean the luck stat although that helps too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Nudi
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
spiralingcadaver wrote:

And a question on color:
Nick, I love the concept of your first spoiler and intend to try it for the next Hand we face. Hopefully with a Green savior.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric LAURENT
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys.

We totally messed up this fight and we'll give it another try next time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the tips, joseph, yeah, we always bring the bow/claw whenever we can fit it in, but hadn't tried taking advantage of the rest of that stuff. (have a tip back )

Also, if it wasn't clear, that should have been "level 3", and I'm pretty sure we managed to pull ours off without a savior, though it would certainly help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric LAURENT
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice strategies but once you have wounded (almost killed) the hand with XXX tokens he gains Respect and if you are not lucky with dice rolls (-4 on injury table) you die. Can you avoid it ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Nudi
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Respect is going to happen no matter what (I believe). The Fighting Art that grants +1 to severe rolls helps (Tough?). If you can use fighting arts, I forget about the details of Respect.

We've had 3 hand fights so far. 1 TPK the first time.

The second time we killed him with one death during the fight followed by a death during Respect (at the time we were still rolling more than once on the severe table to discharge the remaining wounds...7 rolls on the severe injury table at -4 didn't work out well or for very long at all).

The final time, we beat him with barely a scratch (he swung once, maybe twice). Respect hit our green savior with full leather, a shield, shrine endeavor, and 4 or 5 green affinities...I forget the details. I only remember that we had 10-12 armor at each location and we finally earned his Respect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam D
msg tools
mbmb
moavoamoatu wrote:
Nice strategies but once you have wounded (almost killed) the hand with XXX tokens he gains Respect and if you are not lucky with dice rolls (-4 on injury table) you die. Can you avoid it ?

Either be a green tooled up saviour, with beacon shield and shrine, for 12 armour. Or take some dried acanthus to ignore the severe injury.

My first fight we gained respect on a green savior. The next two I just used scrubs, lost one per fight. They just ran away and used bandages to stop all of the bleeding

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McGuire
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
My group just faced the Hand for the first time on Monday. We ended up getting his respect with 2 survivors left. One of the remaining survivors was disemboweled so he would only survive if someone else could carry him back to the settlement. We were very happy and surprised to beat him on our first attempt. That is until we rolled for our rewards...
We rolled a 6 (I think) so he kicked a broken lantern at the head of the only survivor without a severe injury but he had to roll on the severe injury table now. Of course he rolled a 1 and his head exploded. This meant that the other survivor would die too since no one could carry him back to the settlement. So even after "beating" the Hand we lost all of our survivors. We all had a good laugh about that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Unless you got really unlucky with who got hit, they should have been alive. It's survivor, not returning survivor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McGuire
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
spiralingcadaver wrote:
Unless you got really unlucky with who got hit, they should have been alive. It's survivor, not returning survivor.
Oh, we played it as returning survivors... I guess we missed that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Nudi
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Mcguirem13 wrote:
My group just faced the Hand for the first time on Monday. We ended up getting his respect with 2 survivors left. One of the remaining survivors was disemboweled so he would only survive if someone else could carry him back to the settlement. We were very happy and surprised to beat him on our first attempt. That is until we rolled for our rewards...
We rolled a 6 (I think) so he kicked a broken lantern at the head of the only survivor without a severe injury but he had to roll on the severe injury table now. Of course he rolled a 1 and his head exploded. This meant that the other survivor would die too since no one could carry him back to the settlement. So even after "beating" the Hand we lost all of our survivors. We all had a good laugh about that.
Had the same result on the table and the same head explosion, but not the misfortune of it hitting a returning survivor (and Nick already pointed out that it is any survivor, returning or otherwise, as you're fighting outside the settlement). Nothing like winning and then having to roll on the Severe Injury Table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric LAURENT
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's funny : we also had a roll of 1 on the head : explosion, a 8 (-4) which gave a 4 : decapitation zombie the last one lost his legs...a single returning survivor who made it.

Now with all the events, misfortune, resources lost in last game, visitors, the king's man, the Butcher and so on we went down to 5 survivors left (we had 16 four years ago) and we start year 14...I think it will be very hard to make it to year 25 but I love this game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeowch, that's rough. If you spend a lot on auguries, you might just make it though. You'll probably want at least 6 more kids over the next several years to have a chance, unless those nemesis fights go well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Downey
United States
Richmond
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's cheesy but the easiest way to defeat the hand is simply to ignore him. We set everyone with 1 of each affinity and then used the phoenix plackart and Feather shield to make sure that we could ignore 2 attacks each round. He only has two attacks that give more than two dice and they don't do much damage and you can still dodge one of the 3 you cannot block. Then simply wait until he draws his last card. On top of that Applause seems much better to me than Respect anyway. Applause has a 10% chance of death but Respect that hits in the head is an 80% chance of death and 60% everywhere else with a bonus fighting art that doesn't help much. While Applause has a 60% chance of good bonuses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Teves II
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
"Try to pretend like you understand what's important."
badge
"Crafted with genius, energized with madness."
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm planning on sending nothing but red saviors up against him the next time I face him. Fuck yo lenses. Get wrecked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Basnet I Mcgregor
msg tools

And a question on color:
[/q]

Still don't know a reliable way of closing the lenses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Nudi
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
BasnetI wrote:

And a question on color:

Still don't know a reliable way of closing the lenses.
You need to close the eyes primarily using hit location reactions. We actually had one fight almost turn disastrous after accidentally critting on one of the HLs that closes all eyes (if memory serves). A cat's eye circlet is almost necessary unless you want to gamble and hope you get one of the locations to pop up at the right time, but our approach was to open all lenses and then time it to get a "close all lenses" HL before the end of the turn.

If that meant we got 3 hits in or 6 hits in we ended our attacks there so as not to go into the Hand's turn with any open lenses. Once or twice we simply missed badly with our hit or wound rolls after two attackers and ended our turns with either 0 damage done or only one/two damage and a single lens open rather than tempt fate with only 1-2 attackers remaining.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls