Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Watson
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
mbmb
It pretty much stands on it's own. You get the backstory for each character and the powers help build out the characters. You don't need SotM to play, and while you'll miss out some of the Easter eggs, you won't miss anything essential. Or at least I don't think so but I'm deep in SotM so may not be the best person to comment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M King
United States
Wilder
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played SoTM only once before getting ST and I never felt like my ignorance of the Sentinels backstory hurt my appreciation of it. The heroes and villains are pretty iconic, so if you know a little Marvel or DC, you'll be fine. I hope you like it. It's a very fun game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Arenson
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think you need to know anything about the card game to enjoy Tactics.

If you _do_ know the story in the card game, then your appreciation of the story in Tactics would likely be deeper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd McCorkle
United States
Anderson
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My understanding is that the events of Sentinel Tactics take place around 5 years after the card game ends. Somewhat ironic since the card game still has an expansion or 2 left to go.

Anyway, the few times I've played tactics, something would come up that makes me think "when did that happen?" While not hitting a giant reset button, tactic did create a new starting point to jump into things.

If all else fails, I'm sure the backstories/bios from the card game are on GtG website.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Arenson
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sentinels character info available from GtG website:

http://sentinelsofthemultiverse.com/multiverse

http://sentineltactics.com/multiverse

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had never played SotM until after several games of ST. I still have only played the iPad version of SotM a couple of times AND ST is a lot of fun as a game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Miller
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also really love how the official scenarios are laid out in a comic book form so you know the story of each scenario- makes it way more interesting!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Thurston
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Saint Sinner wrote:
Do you think the "high learning curve" that some associate with this game comes simply from getting into the groove of the line-of-sight system, the different characters abilities, or something else that I'm not seeing clearly?
It is fun! I'm not sure what people mean about the "high learning curve", but I suspect it has to do with the different abilities. It takes a little bit to get used to all the possible powers of a single character, and then if you're really going to be competitive you should know about all the other characters on the board as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff B.
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Having some miniature gaming experience I found no learning curve at all, but I have friends that still have trouble planning their turn with line of sight and elevation movement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Arenson
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Phantaskippy wrote:
Having some miniature gaming experience I found no learning curve at all, but I have friends that still have trouble planning their turn with line of sight and elevation movement.
Yeah. If you have miniatures experience, this game is light. If not, it can be heavy.

If you're playing with someone who knows all the details and can remind you of things like whether auto-misses come before or after checking range, then it's a lot easier to get started and/or feel comfortable that you're getting the rules correct. Otherwise, it can get a bit hairy keeping track of exactly how Attack +1/-1, Defense +1/-1, Aim/Dodge, auto-misses, range checking, line of sight, etc. all work and interact.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls