Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Halsey
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I subscribe to a number of OOP games. Mostly hoping to see a reprint.

These games are often found in the recommendation threads. "I would recommend 'Knights of Blah Blah' but good luck finding it." "+1 for KoBB".

Only I'm curious if the fever is because it is OOP or because it really is an awesome game.

Here are some examples:

Carson City. I subscribed, I trolled, I landed a used copy. The result...truly awesome game! I love it and it was totally worth it.

Chinatown. Subscribed. Picked up a copy when it reprinted. The result...meh. Okay game but I would have never bought my own copy if I had played someone else's.

This leads me to Colosseum. Subscribed and actively trolling but I'm reading threads that are saying that this may be over-hyped and not the game I'm looking for.

Fury of Dracula (Second Edition)! Recommendations galore on this one. I once was offered a copy for $100 but shied away from it. Now the reprint is in stock at my FLGS and I haven't seen anyone even touch it.

And today...I stare at the El Grande Big Box. Is it a great game?? I don't know. Should I get it? Is this the grail game of my collection? Or is it the one that is going to cost me $60 and sit on my shelf designated for games that I plan to trade or sell?

Oh what to do...Board Gamer problems. whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a number of games out there where people didn't care much about it until it went oop. Then they became awesome games... (probably because they have it and you don't).

When they are reprinted... people talk about it a lot then when they are actually released, no one talks about them as reality came back and the games go back to their "good but not awesome" perch.

See:
- Tammany Hall
- Pillars of the Earth
- Starcraft: the board game
- Doom: the board game
- Gears of War: the board game
- Fury of Dracula
- Space Hulk
- Endeavor
- Star Wars Queen's Gambit
- Civilization
- Dune
- Gearworld: Borderlands
- Full Metal Planète

... all games that became awesome only after they went oop.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
Microbadge: One does not simply recognize great geeks. Not with 10,000 stars could you do this...Microbadge: Love Spreader of the WeekMicrobadge: Level 20 BGG posterMicrobadge: Chit Chatter of the DayMicrobadge: The Geek Citizenship Recognition Program Rolls On!
Koldfoot wrote:
Get El Grande. But remember it is only a superior game with 5. Four is fine. Three...... eh..... no.

Unless you got a group of 5 willing players, save your money.
Actually BUY IT. And then get four new improved friends!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
Microbadge: One does not simply recognize great geeks. Not with 10,000 stars could you do this...Microbadge: Love Spreader of the WeekMicrobadge: Level 20 BGG posterMicrobadge: Chit Chatter of the DayMicrobadge: The Geek Citizenship Recognition Program Rolls On!
deedob wrote:
There's a number of games out there where people didn't care much about it until it went oop. Then they became awesome games... (probably because they have it and you don't).

When they are reprinted... people talk about it a lot then when they are actually released, no one talks about them as reality came back and the games go back to their "good but not awesome" perch.

See:
- Tammany Hall
- Pillars of the Earth
- Fury of Dracula
- Space Hulk
- Endeavor
- Civilization
- Dune
- Full Metal Planète

I would 'mostly' agree with this as an example of what you (OP) where mentioning.

Although, I think maybe for a few there is a perspective also. Space Hulk was huge when it first came out and for a LONG time. IT was awesome way before it went OOP. Although, 2nd edition was a 'flop' of sorts with the introduction of 'special dice'.

Also, Pillars was very loved when it was first in print. It really was one of the first worker placement and helped 'spawn' a new genre of games. I think it's more that 'many' people prefer 'newer' worker placements that came after it. Although, I thought it was just the expansion that really went OOP grail status (which doesn't really add to the game)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B-G
United Kingdom
Leeds
W Yorks
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All oop rules break down once they pass the splotter horizon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
/|\ Roland /|\
United States
Satellite
Low Earth Orbit
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TWrecks wrote:
I subscribe to a number of OOP games. Mostly hoping to see a reprint.

These games are often found in the recommendation threads. "I would recommend 'Knights of Blah Blah' but good luck finding it." "+1 for KoBB".

Only I'm curious if the fever is because it is OOP or because it really is an awesome game.

Here are some examples:

Carson City. I subscribed, I trolled, I landed a used copy. The result...truly awesome game! I love it and it was totally worth it.

Chinatown. Subscribed. Picked up a copy when it reprinted. The result...meh. Okay game but I would have never bought my own copy if I had played someone else's.

This leads me to Colosseum. Subscribed and actively trolling but I'm reading threads that are saying that this may be over-hyped and not the game I'm looking for.

Fury of Dracula (Second Edition)! Recommendations galore on this one. I once was offered a copy for $100 but shied away from it. Now the reprint is in stock at my FLGS and I haven't seen anyone even touch it.

And today...I stare at the El Grande Big Box. Is it a great game?? I don't know. Should I get it? Is this the grail game of my collection? Or is it the one that is going to cost me $60 and sit on my shelf designated for games that I plan to trade or sell?

Oh what to do...Board Gamer problems. whistle
Maybe try trawling instead of trolling?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dennis bennett
Germany
back in Frankfurt!
flag msg tools
designer
badge
more of my stuff at www.dennisthebadger.com
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a bit like with all the kickstarter hype.

hype hype hype... then the games eventually ship... some people play them... and you mostly never hear much about them ever again...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Thomas
United States
RIVERSIDE
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I personally think El Grande is an all-time great. I don't know that the expansions make it greater, or that it's worth $60 if that's what it costs. But it's a timeless design in my book - highly interactive, plays well in 90 minutes, always something to be thinking about. I've been playing it since it came out and would still gladly have it hit the table.

Colloseum - played once and thought it was quite drab. Haven't understood the expensive copies while it's OOP, and don't understand the excitement of a reprint.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dennis bennett
Germany
back in Frankfurt!
flag msg tools
designer
badge
more of my stuff at www.dennisthebadger.com
mbmbmbmbmb
stlkt wrote:
I personally think El Grande is an all-time great. I don't know that the expansions make it greater, or that it's worth $60 if that's what it costs. But it's a timeless design in my book - highly interactive, plays well in 90 minutes, always something to be thinking about. I've been playing it since it came out and would still gladly have it hit the table.

Colloseum - played once and thought it was quite drab. Haven't understood the expensive copies while it's OOP, and don't understand the excitement of a reprint.
the bog box is 40 Euro on amazon.de and you can usually pick up a copy of the orginal game on german ebay for 10-15 euro...

Probably well worth the money compared to lots of the stuff that has been released recently
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Arias
United States
Sanford
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
deedob wrote:

See:
- Tammany Hall
- Pillars of the Earth
- Fury of Dracula
- Space Hulk
- Endeavor
- Civilization
- Dune
- Full Metal Planète

For most of my OOP games, I never knew about them when they first came out as that was during my RPG and video game years. Space Crusade is what I thought of when I saw your list. Also IMO the 1996 version of Escape from Atlantis is way cooler than the reprint, but that's because I'm a shallow chrome-o-phile
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would recommend buying up newish games now and holding onto them for 5 years. Once they are OOP, sell them at a profit!

In reality, thought, most of us own games to play them. I find a good way to get OOP games is through math trades.

Best OOP score from a math trade: Glory to Rome Black Box. Although, I had to trade away my 1999 Hasbro/AH Acquire for it. I thought GtR was more worth it, as Acquire is still in print in various editions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Kazimierczak
United States
Falmouth
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drakon (third edition) had a stint at being an OOP grail game for a bit, but even before it was reprinted prices on the secondary market were sagging because it wasn't that spectacular.

Generally the really good OOP games haven't been reprinted for a reason (publisher went under or licensing issues) because most good games get a reprint and bah/meh games without an audience don't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another good OOP to add to your list: Container

Really fantastic game - easy to pnp if you want to try before you buy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls