Dan Cristelli
United States
Milton
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Living up here in a very rural state as I do, I'm faced with a dilemma. Apart from Toys R Us, Wal-Mart or something of that nature (which won't have the GOOD games), there's only one place for me to buy games locally. Now, it's a nice game store, but they mostly cater to the M:TG or Warhammer 40K crowd. There's lots of cards and a ton of miniatures with all the accessories (paint, etc.).

The board game selection isn't too bad and they seem to charge full retail, but not over which I can't really complain about. I am always looking to support the local economy whenever I can. However, the only time I will buy from there is if there's an OOP game that they have (which is the case when I got there today to buy Railroad Tycoon) or if it's not that much cheaper to buy it online.

What I've found is this: If I purchase something online, at least if it's only one thing, usually the shipping costs will drive the total to only a couple of dollars less than what I would pay here. Now if I'm buying more than one thing, there's really no contest. Between the discount that online retailers offer on items and the combined shipping being relatively cheap (in most cases) I usually save in excess of ten dollars or more.

So what's my problem? I feel a little guilty about this. I feel like I should do more to support the local store. They have been around forever though and seem to be doing just fine. Yet still I can't tear myself away from saving money.

I guess I'm just looking for some thoughts from people to see if they have felt the same or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Online vs FLGS is a grand running debate to which there are no clear cut answers that serve everyone.

You really have to go with what works for you personally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Roach
Canada
Brandon
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have always tried to by local even if it meant paying few extra dollars. I would linit it to a ten dollar mark. If there was more than ten difference i would buy online. This worked for me as i did not buy lots of games over the course of a year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris May
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Feeling lucky punk? Well, do ya?
mbmbmbmbmb
For me personally, I buy a few of the things I buy locally. Others I have to save the money on and buy them online. I think you are right about the one item versus multiple items. If I am buying just one game then it is usually just as cheap to buy at the LGS. If I am buying several games, I go with online. The LGS in my area (Fort Worth, Tx) cater to CCGs, comic books, heroclix, etc. They have very little selection of board games. So, usually I check with them first, but they very rarely have a game in stock that I am looking for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Roach
Canada
Brandon
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also somthing you may consider, is asking about a member discount for a group of gamers or a discount on numerous purchases at once. I have found most good LGS will accept one or the other, if it means more business for them. It cost nothing to ask.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Slobotski
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmb
I love going to stores to buy my hobby merchandise, to see what other hobbies might catch my eye, to help the guy working there make his mortgage payment. The only time I buy online is around Christmas time when I am buying inordinate amounts of needless junk for others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pakpreo
United States
Cambridge
MA - Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do both! I support my local game shops with both my CCG and board game purchases, but their selection is small. So I buy my larger board game purchases online for things I know I can't get there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Skinner
United States
Concord
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Bible says that if you know what you ought to do and do not do it, it is sin. And I certainly wouldn't advocate sinning. Don't move against your own conscience.

I'm by no means saying that you're right, btw. I personally don't purchase games from FLGS because I always feel like I'm getting taken. I payed 50 bucks for Caylus visiting my parents over Christmas and that's a mistake I will try desperately not to repeat. I try not to make my purchases any more expensive than I have to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Pulles
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The only games that I order by mail are games that my local game stores don't carry... and that usually means games that have never been published (or won't be published) in English. For example, a recent order included: Die Säulen von Venedig, Pecunia Non Olet, Factory Fun, John Silver, Frische Luft für die Gruft, Die Sieben Seigel, the Verflixxt expansion, plus a few other titles.

We have a couple of decent stores in the city and they are quite competitive in their pricing, so it really doesn't pay to shop online. Why order online if I can buy a game like Thurn & Taxis locally for $26? And if either store is out of stock, or a special order has to be made, it's usually only a week to wait. One store even gives a Club member discount on top of their already low prices.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
See any/all of the threads tagged by http://www.boardgamegeek.com/tagutils.php?action=viewtag&tag... as this thread is just going to be the same arguments going both way over and over...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike zebrowski
United States
Unspecified
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
I lived for over a decade without a local store and would often order stuff online. Since moving to a larger city, I have re-discovered the joy of having a local store and I now purchase all of my items from them.

Yes, it is more expensive and I sometimes have to special order stuff as their selection isn't huge. However, it is also the place where I go to play games or to just hang out and talk to other gamers. So, it is well worth the couple of extra dollars that I spend.

Mike Z
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Dan ~ if you're more comfortable buying locally then why not go chat with the owner/manager and see if he might work out some different ways to lighten your cost.

Example ~ when I had a store and there were special orders that were outside of the scope of my normal products, I always gave a nice discount for pre-payment, as much as 20% depending on the cost and ease of getting the game.

Or, perhaps if you buy several games at once he'll do a similar deal. Anytime you can work with a local merchant, get some savings and also expose them to another aspect of gaming, then you've done a lot more than just save a few bucks. You might end up showing the owner another way to make a profit. That ought to be worth something to him.

Locally, I get 20% from a newer game store and they somewhat rely on me to steer them towards hot board games that are upcoming. The owner doesn't have to spend the time doing the research because I do it. Then I just give him the data and he decides his order levels beyond what I order and my gaming buddies order. Nice deal for all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
james napoli
United States
Westwood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:
Dan ~ if you're more comfortable buying locally then why not go chat with the owner/manager and see if he might work out some different ways to lighten your cost.

Example ~ when I had a store and there were special orders that were outside of the scope of my normal products, I always gave a nice discount for pre-payment, as much as 20% depending on the cost and ease of getting the game.

Or, perhaps if you buy several games at once he'll do a similar deal. Anytime you can work with a local merchant, get some savings and also expose them to another aspect of gaming, then you've done a lot more than just save a few bucks. You might end up showing the owner another way to make a profit. That ought to be worth something to him.

Locally, I get 20% from a newer game store and they somewhat rely on me to steer them towards hot board games that are upcoming. The owner doesn't have to spend the time doing the research because I do it. Then I just give him the data and he decides his order levels beyond what I order and my gaming buddies order. Nice deal for all.

i was going to suggest the same. Many game stores will offer a customer loyality discount, especially if you game there regularly...so u might look into arranging a group to meet there once a month.

Most store owners realize you have other options, and would likely work with you and likely can order what ever game you may want.

Personally, i dont have a store that's really local to my home, the one store i visit monthly for a gamegroup is about 30 minutes away and unfortunately charges nearly double for most games. However, i always at least buy snacks/beverages from them while i'm there. I think if you can support your local store you should, but at the same time most online retailers are likely little guys as well...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall P.
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
"Nothing in Biology Makes Sense Except in the Light of Evolution" - Theodosius Dobzhansky
badge
There is grandeur in this view of life, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved.
mbmbmbmbmb
Buy from where you get the most value for your money. If the local game store provides playing space, demos, or some other service that you value then it may actually represent the most value for your money. Even if it costs more money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Lawrence
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
If I'm buying one game, I buy local. If I'm buying more that one game, I buy online. But, I never buy just one game because it's so much cheaper buying online.

I would love to support a local store, but our local store isn't that great. Not for boardgames anyway. And really the only time I have ever had any problems when ordering a game has been at that local store. I buy from a couple places online and from my experience, both have excellent service.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Sisk
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
mdp4828 wrote:
Buy from where you get the most value for your money. If the local game store provides playing space, demos, or some other service that you value then it may actually represent the most value for your money. Even if it costs more money.

I agree wholeheartedly with this sentiment.

I don't like that my local FLGS charges full retail, but I still buy games there when I can because they provide a large amount of floorspace for the localy boardgaming society at no extra cost to me. That to me is a huge plus that I want to support. If I can do so every few weeks or so by paying a little more for a game, then I'll do it.

That being said, I'll still shop online if I'm going to get more than one game or possibly two. Like was mentioned before, the combined shipping makes the deal a little too nice to pass up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
I do both also.

I use to be a die hard FLGS buyer. But, all the FLGS I felt were worth supporting closed down. So, I started buying on-line. But, even then I would buy from a FLGS I didn't like if it was just one game. At one game you might as well just buy locally (IMO).

Now, another openned that provides A LOT of gaming space. But, I'm somewhat addicted to steep discounts now. I do want to a)keep my money local and b)keep a place around that provides gaming space. So, I try to buy my one off games there. Also, I negotiated a large order discount of 15%. I thought that was very generous still (for them), but would at least give me the feeling of saving some money. So, now I buy about every other large order from him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Haberman
United States
Painesville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
adam.skinner wrote:
The Bible says that if you know what you ought to do and do not do it, it is sin. And I certainly wouldn't advocate sinning. Don't move against your own conscience.

I'm by no means saying that you're right, btw. I personally don't purchase games from FLGS because I always feel like I'm getting taken. I payed 50 bucks for Caylus visiting my parents over Christmas and that's a mistake I will try desperately not to repeat. I try not to make my purchases any more expensive than I have to.

Unless your conscience tells you to kill people. Then no, don't do that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Goewert
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What? You mean you can buy games through the intertubes now?

FLGS's don't owe you anything, so don't fret over not giving them your business. Though, this issues is a four way street with no stopsigns or stoplights. Craziness.

My advice on the subject as always is "Pay where you Play." Do you game only at home and only find info on the game via the internet. Buy it there. You like the local scene and game at a store and spend time reading over the boxes or asking someone about it there, but it at the store.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
United States
San Diego area
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This issue isn't exactly Walmart vs. the local craft store. Many online retailers also have storefronts; some, like GamesSurplus, come to conventions and get to know gamers as well as an FLGS owner would.

There's also the argument that publishers get the same fee no matter what, so for people who have gotten to know Jay, Zev, etc. is it better to buy games in greater quantity online so that more of your game money goes straight to them?

It really just comes down to your local store. If you feel like they're making an effort to serve your gaming needs, go ahead and pick up a couple of things. It doesn't have to be all or nothing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph
United States
Ankeny
Iowa
flag msg tools
because it's all I ever wanted to be..
badge
Cloning gamers since 2003
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm digging up this thread.

My Question is this: How has your views on this topic changed since 2007?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damo
Australia
Hobart
Tasmania
flag msg tools
Look Up! Stay Alive!
badge
http://australianmuseum.net.au/Drop-Bear
mbmbmbmbmb
jcaraway wrote:
I'm digging up this thread.

My Question is this: How has your views on this topic changed since 2007?

Nice Thread-Necro robot

My views haven't changed. Supporting local when possible, but I keep the bottom line in mind and us online sources when it's significantly cheaper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.