bgreal
Hong Kong
TIN SHUI WAI
NT
flag msg tools
The game have many neutral monsters, but it is very expansive to get it(2 doom point) 。
I want high active to play it。

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PJ Cunningham
United States
Greenfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
real_li wrote:
The game have many neutral monsters, but it is very expansive to get it(2 doom point) 。
I want high active to play it。
I think it would be fine for each player to start with a randomly dealt neutral monster, if that's the way you want to play.

As an aside, if you haven't played the game much yet, be sure to do so before making this change. You may find that the gameplay is plenty "active" already without extra monsters at the start.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bgreal
Hong Kong
TIN SHUI WAI
NT
flag msg tools
I say high active is not very high, I think other word will be batter, increase more Opportunity to play them.
I think send 2 Doom point buy them is not attract, because the game end around 5-7 turn, so I want increase their play value. Send 2 Doom point I think no more people to do it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PJ Cunningham
United States
Greenfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
real_li wrote:
...I want increase their play value. Send 2 Doom point I think no more people to do it.
Another option would be to drop the cost to 1 Doom. (Personally I think that's crazy cheap.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Petersen
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
it's your sister Cheryl!
badge
I work for Petersen Games. AMA
mbmbmbmbmb
real_li wrote:
I say high active is not very high, I think other word will be batter, increase more Opportunity to play them.
I think send 2 Doom point buy them is not attract, because the game end around 5-7 turn, so I want increase their play value. Send 2 Doom point I think no more people to do it.
I've playtested dozens of games with the neutral monsters.

When they are available*, at least one of them is selected by a majority of the players EVERY single game. Thus, there's no real reason to start the game with them if your goal is to make sure they see action, since in the very first Doom phase most players begin getting them. Occasionally they are gotten the following Doom Phase, but this is more rare.

Remember, you aren't really going to be summoning a lot of them on the first turn anyway if you started the game with them. Plus, when you get a loyalty card in the first Doom phase, you get one for FREE placed at one of your gates! so in a sense, you begin the second round with a neutral monster. It would not make sense to start the game with their loyalty card AND a free Monster. So, the way it works now is likely actually faster for getting them into the actual Action of the game. It works perfectly. I promise Sandy's 30+ years of game design was thoroughly used in figuring out how neutrals should function

*When neutrals AND indie GOOs are available sometimes less than a majority of players bother to get neutral monsters, but some still do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Andersson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
real_li wrote:
This is a game where it's entirely up to you how active you want to be. I've seen people play with almost no combat and I've seen games where people are invading each other and capturing and attacking from the very first turn.

But you begin getting neutral monsters in the second turn, and a boring first turn usually takes like, 3 minutes. That's still pretty quick to the action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
It's a fearful thing, to fall into the Hands of the Living God!
badge
Tell me, have you found the Yellow Sign?
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd advise against "random distribution" of neutral monsters. There are monsters that work better with one faction, and less so with another. There are monsters you can put to better use with your strategy or style of play, and others less so.

The fact that you can choose neutral monsters helps you tailor what you have to your strategy. It's not about simply "getting a cewl new type of monsters" (although that can be the case when they are new, to try them out - and why not?), but usually about "which monster (if any) can help me enhance/quicken my strategy?"...

If you want to provide players with neutral monsters at the start of the game, I'd recommend letting them choose. That is if you do not aim for a "use what you have to the best of your abilities" approach.

Alas, I would take existoid's advice to heart - getting them in the Doom phase provides the player with a free monster immediately, and that is not nothing! Sure, 2 Doom sound like a lot of points, but if you can potentially rake in more Doom points quickly with the new monster, it is well worth the 2 measly Doom points.

Also, what do GOOs care about calculations of puny humans? More monster means more terror means more chaos means more fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandy Petersen
United States
Rockwall
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
I wrote the first-ever Lovecraft game.
mbmbmbmbmb
You can obviously do whatever you please with your own house rules. I see the neutrals used every game when available - typically every player gets at least one. But if your experience is different, by all means hand them out.

One possible problem is "fairness" in handing them out. Two people might want the same monster, for instance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Mitchell
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you have to perform a Ritual of Annihilation in order to recruit a neutral monster type?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Petersen
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
it's your sister Cheryl!
badge
I work for Petersen Games. AMA
mbmbmbmbmb
Solan wrote:
Do you have to perform a Ritual of Annihilation in order to recruit a neutral monster type?
not at all. But they cost 2 doom, so if you didn't get a second gate in the first round, you can't get one right away. goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Mitchell
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
existoid wrote:
Solan wrote:
not at all. But they cost 2 doom, so if you didn't get a second gate in the first round, you can't get one right away. goo
Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls