Popular Tags: [View All]
mark taylor
Scotland
Dunstable
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

I used to own For the People by GMT but sold it a number of months ago via e-bay as I just never got it onto the table enough, not because I disliked it.

Now I look at this and think it's the same game with hex movement rather than point to point but am unsure whether it is different enough to pull the trigger?

Could I have your opinions if you are owners please?

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Wehrle
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
"Work as if you live in the early days of a better nation"
mbmbmbmbmb
Ask yourself why For the People never got to the table, it will likely be the same reason why the US Civil War may struggle to get table time as well.

They are very different games. The US Civil war is on the "grand operational" side of the war. You will spend a lot of time planning maneuvers and querying supply problems. That said, the gameplay is brisk and the rules aren't that overwhelming (this isn't DAK 2).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete McNamara
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this game has more in common with Victory Games The Civil War (VGCW) than FTP.

There are elements of both and some new things too.

This is not a CDG so that is a huge difference from FTP.

I think this game is fun and easy to get your arms around. Easier in fact than VGCW.

I am sure reviews will be out shortly. I'm hoping to deliver one this weekend!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Reschreiter
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, Nuff said - no question :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Snyder
United States
Cockeysville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I did not like We the People, because I'm not overly fond of Card-driven games, since they can not be soloed easily. I LOVE Victory Games' Civil War though, and since this game is far more similar to the latter than the former, I would say...

YES. If you liked the Victory Games one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Oberly
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't 'played' this one yet, just have had it set up and messing around with some activations, trying to get the rules down, etc. i think it's a must buy if you are interested in an ACW strategic game. It's different from FtP, but you are still going to be faced with a lot of the same general decisions. I do think that since it's not a CDG, it's not quite as bewildering to get into right away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Fletcher
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
I completely agree--much more like VG's Civil War: hex-based rather than point to point, and cards but not card-driven. FtP never did much for me but this is a keeper. I'd say get it unless you are perfectly happy with VG's old Civil War!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dawson
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This not being a CDG makes it soloable, which means it's much more likely to get played by me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark taylor
Scotland
Dunstable
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Folks,

thanks very much for all your points of view and advice they were very helpful.

Cole, I know exactly what you are saying but I don't really know why it didn't do it for me. I possess games such as Napoleonic Wars, Napoleon Against Europe and Supreme Commander and others that never hit the table near enough but I don't feel I could let them go..........peoples tastes eh? whistle

Ultimately, I will go for this one and see for myself. I believe I need a slightly more complex ACW game in my collection rather than my copy of A House Divided.

Again, thanks all and take care
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert "Smitty" Smith
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mark:

I find this game to be a must have. It certainly fills in gaps in the ACW collection and a gap for a more complex game that simply feels right. The way Generals alone are handled makes sense - it has the right degree of proportionality (an Army term I generally loathe). It's one where you like to look at the map, and ponder both sides issues. I also think it is very easy for solitaire.
Smitty

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls