Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

BGG» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: Wire taps and the right to privacy rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
"Captain, although your abilities intrigue me, you are quite honestly inferior"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Here in Ohio there is a news story about a recent corrupt politician who has been tried, convicted and sent to jail (for those keeping score, you know who you are, he is a Democrat). There is no denying the guy is a scumbag and a stereotypical corrupt government official. Since being in jail for a couple years, the government has decided to release records of wiretaps that were used to convict him. He is fighting it on privacy grounds.

I'm thinking he is right. If they were already used for evidence and he is already paying the penalty, what value is there to release these things to the public? From an academic POV, it would be interesting to see how these things actually go down, but on the other hand these were private conversations and I would think that the warrant used to negate his privacy rights to record them were limited in scope to actually prosecuting him.

Is there any good reason for this to be allowed?

http://www.wistv.com/story/30304417/dimora-objects-to-releas...

(I like his handmade legal document, doing everything he can not to get ignored on a technicality)
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The trouble with government agencies releasing wiretaps is it is likely to be done very selectively - where the released records will support the government agency's position. Since I don't think releasing ALL wiretaps is a smart idea, I would tend to go with a very restricted approach, absent a compelling reason.

In this specific case, I agree with the convict.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:
The trouble with government agencies releasing wiretaps is it is likely to be done very selectively - where the released records will support the government agency's position. Since I don't think releasing ALL wiretaps is a smart idea, I would tend to go with a very restricted approach, absent a compelling reason.

In this specific case, I agree with the convict.
Why would they release any that are not relevant to what he was accused of?

I lean towards stuff him solely because I can see another "I am going to claim it was all a fit up" so the authorities are going to go "well here is the evidence, what do you say to that".
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
wifwendell wrote:
The trouble with government agencies releasing wiretaps is it is likely to be done very selectively - where the released records will support the government agency's position. Since I don't think releasing ALL wiretaps is a smart idea, I would tend to go with a very restricted approach, absent a compelling reason.

In this specific case, I agree with the convict.
Why would they release any that are not relevant to what he was accused of?

I lean towards stuff him solely because I can see another "I am going to claim it was all a fit up" so the authorities are going to go "well here is the evidence, what do you say to that".
The reason I oppose it is because I can easily imagine another case where the wiretaps include communications that tend to exonerate the suspect. And of course, those would be the wiretaps NOT released.

Secondly, though I don't have any sympathy for the convict, there are still the privacy rights of the people on the other end of the wiretaps.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
"Captain, although your abilities intrigue me, you are quite honestly inferior"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:

Secondly, though I don't have any sympathy for the convict, there are still the privacy rights of the people on the other end of the wiretaps.
Well, the convict does deserve some consideration. This is almost like double jeopardy. If the recordings/text had been released during the trial, or publicized from trial testimony that is one thing, but post conviction this is like an additional punishment after sentencing. Especially since they allegedly have racist pejoratives in it, he will now be condemned for things he would have never said in public totally unrelated to his crime. I'm all for holding racists accountable for their speech... in public. If someone chooses to make controversial comments in private, it seems like this is a violation of that privacy.

Even scumbags enjoy rights.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
TheChin! wrote:
Even scumbags enjoy rights.
Ah, well, that's where you're going wrong, right there...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
casey r lowe
United States
butte
Montana
flag msg tools
mb
TheChin! wrote:
Here in Ohio there is a news story about a recent corrupt politician who has been tried, convicted and sent to jail (for those keeping score, you know who you are, he is a Democrat).
thanks for pointing that out - in this case im all for wiretapping the shit out of libtards (who are a threat to society) but if it were a conservative (who are a boon to society) it would be a breach of freedom liberty and the constitution by filthy big government
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
"Captain, although your abilities intrigue me, you are quite honestly inferior"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
single sentences wrote:
TheChin! wrote:
Here in Ohio there is a news story about a recent corrupt politician who has been tried, convicted and sent to jail (for those keeping score, you know who you are, he is a Democrat).
thanks for pointing that out - in this case im all for wiretapping the shit out of libtards (who are a threat to society) but if it were a conservative (who are a boon to society) it would be a breach of freedom liberty and the constitution by filthy big government
I felt I had to head off people throwing around partisan accusations because I didn't mention it and I allegedly would have if they were a Republican. I don't think it's important to the issue at hand, but I decided to be proactive to avoid the obvious fallacies that would follow.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mutton Chops
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
Yes, this is my face. Part of it, anyway.
Avatar
Microbadge: You've been CakedMicrobadge: MusicianMicrobadge: AtheistMicrobadge: ComposerMicrobadge: 200 yahoo boots f*** yahoo messenger how's want boots
I had wire taps once. They were useless: the water went everywhere.

I'll get me coat...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls