Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chad Egbert
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Level 18 BGG posterMicrobadge: Warhammer Quest forever!Microbadge: "TCAT" - Member of the Twin Cities Ameritrash GroupMicrobadge: Space Hulk fanMicrobadge: Con of the North attendee
This is not the only co-op game that is labeled as a 2+ game. I'm always curious why they aren't labeled as solo also, but maybe there is a reason.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
They call me Mister...
Ireland
Donegal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pekin2121 wrote:
This is not the only co-op game that is labeled as a 2+ game. I'm always curious why they aren't labeled as solo also, but maybe there is a reason.
I think the main reason is where you have to control more than one "character" so they don't put 1-4 on the box but 2+.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic B
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Right. You need to control 2 characters when playing solo. I sometimes read complaints about other games which said they are solo playable but only offer the option to control two characters at the same time. Some people think that it is misleading to call such a game a solo-game and mabye they wanted to avoid that.

But in the newest update they said that they are working on a pure solo scenario as a stretchgoal Update #2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vesuvius Media
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
We are working Campaigns for solo version and at the same time game play that will open solo option to all campaigns if possible (apart the online beta version that we unleashed). Since the nature of the game is co-op this is more challenging than someone would expect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Kaplan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They just announced a beta solo version that will allow you to control 1 armada, or you can always control 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron James
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
I think any co-op game that has a "programmed" opposition could easily be run solo while playing *all* available positions, if you don't mind the extra bookkeeping effort. However it might make the game slightly easier to win, because you can integrate the actions of all the factions more tightly than you could with other human players. Heck, as a kid I sometimes played Risk solo with all 6 colors. OK, it was more of a "role-playing" war, with 3 good-guy colors allied against the 3 evil colors, but still...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Kaplan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They now have official solo rules, so the game is now officially for 1-4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Corbally
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
a follow up question. For those playing this solo with more than 1 character... Is 2 the preferred number? Is it better to play with 4 (or is that too complicated, etc?).
I've just gotten the game so I've not tried it yet (but will likely not play the "official" solo rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Castree
Japan
Osaka
Osaka
flag msg tools
ACGalaga.com
badge
What da heck?!
mbmbmbmbmb
russonc wrote:
a follow up question. For those playing this solo with more than 1 character... Is 2 the preferred number? Is it better to play with 4 (or is that too complicated, etc?).
I've just gotten the game so I've not tried it yet (but will likely not play the "official" solo rules.
I guess you could, you're just playing a 4 player game by yourself. The official solo is you use one commander, one player board, and control two armada ships. They have a shared cargo, and you'll have two sets of activation tokens (one for each ship) so you can use power-up actions twice (once for each armada ship).

Having shared cargo can actually be incredibly useful, for example, you can relay XMPs from far off sectors to the jumpgate by "passing" it between the two ships. However, it now cost 4 Astarium to upgrade and events that affect each player will affect you twice (once for each armada ship), so if you fail those skill checks your HP is depleted very quickly.

I'd say attempt the official solo rules for sure. If it's more interesting to do a solo 2p game, then go with that. 3-4 player solo seems a bit tedious though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls