• [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: Golden MeepleMicrobadge: Rules readerMicrobadge: Kingsport Festival fan - CultMicrobadge: GeekModderMicrobadge: Gold game player. At least 5,000 logged game plays!
I use the large quasi-pentagonal location tiles, shuffled face-down (omitting the second one for Crossroads boards). It's a theoretically-ideal solution, but in practice, the backs of the expansion tiles aren't exactly the same color as the base game, so I just don't look too close!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Picon wrote:
rickert wrote:
Is there a randomizer for KB?
To randomize what?
The boards and possibly even the three promos. I don't like shuffling the boards especially with the number of them there are now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: I speak EsperantoMicrobadge: Safe, Sane, ConsensualMicrobadge: Human RightsMicrobadge: MasochistMicrobadge: Vegan
rickert wrote:
Is there a randomizer for KB?
free javascript Kingdom Builder setup randomizer
Board Randomization Without Tech
A pascal program for a random selection of boards and cards
and probably various other threads I didn't find as quickly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Amick
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Carthoris wrote:
I use the large quasi-pentagonal location tiles, shuffled face-down (omitting the second one for Crossroads boards). It's a theoretically-ideal solution, but in practice, the backs of the expansion tiles aren't exactly the same color as the base game, so I just don't look too close!
Out of curiosity, how do you randomize each board's orientation? Spin it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: Golden MeepleMicrobadge: Rules readerMicrobadge: Kingsport Festival fan - CultMicrobadge: GeekModderMicrobadge: Gold game player. At least 5,000 logged game plays!
Eh, I don't bother to randomize orientation beyond going for something that "looks pretty"! There's really no way for me to game the outcome there, and after the randomization of the board selection (with base plus two expansions), the odds of needing to vary orientation from a recent similar game are sub-microscopic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schumann
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's this barely usable one, but it's what I use:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.gstaff.kbr

It picks boards with orientation, goals, and tasks. However, if you rotate your phone, it loses the goals. But it's free, small, and has minimal permissions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: I speak EsperantoMicrobadge: Safe, Sane, ConsensualMicrobadge: Human RightsMicrobadge: MasochistMicrobadge: Vegan
It's perhaps worth noting again that there's no reasons other than personal desire to have all possible setups be equally probable. The rules don't even say to randomize the board setup.

setup rules wrote:
Select any 4 of the 8 game board sections and assemble them to a rectangular game board as shown in the example below.
It's completely legal to assemble them however you want!

The game design intent seems surely to be simply variety, not strict uniform probability.

(PS: If one really cares about strict uniform probability, one had better do some careful formal analysis of the random number generation in the various software solutions... I would be surprised if any of the software solutions, including my own little javascript one, truly provide strict uniform probability.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Payne
United States
Goodlettsville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Tzolk'in: The Mayan Calendar fanMicrobadge: Break From Reality Games "Uptown Espresso" Contest participantMicrobadge: Artipia Games "Kitchen Rush" Contest participantMicrobadge: Quined Games "Vanuatu" Contest participantMicrobadge: Tasty Minstrel Games "Orleans" Contest participant
I randomize the boards by putting one of the summary cards for the location tiles from each board into a cloth bag that I made and pull them out randomly to set up the board. Sometimes I vary the orientation of the boards, but not always. If so, I generally just decide which orientation I will use (two right-side up and two upside down) before pulling them out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tylor Lilley
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If anyone is interested, I created an Android App that should make randomizing the setup of the base game plus any number of expansions and promos a breeze! Let me know if you check it out. You can find the thread I created for it here: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1587911/new-randomizer-andr... whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls