Popular Tags: [View All]
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: Golden MeepleMicrobadge: Rules readerMicrobadge: Arkham Horror: The Card Game fanMicrobadge: GeekModderMicrobadge: Gold game player. At least 5,000 logged game plays!
This is the tiniest of variants to the standard rules. This game is one that I typically want to play in situations where table space is at a premium. I like to play with my "hand" in my hand, and the draw pile on the table, and I've done away with the discard pile.

When I discard due to a door penalty, I discard directly into that turn of the delve, rather than into a separate pile. Ditto for discarding a skill card to resolve an encounter.

This change should have no effect on game play whatsoever, but it reduces the size of the spread. Other, even less substantial changes include playing the burnt-out torches (Aces) horizontally overlapping each other across the top left of the spread (which seems thematically appropriate), and placing the hit point piles in the upper right corner of the spread.

One possible play change that could stem from eliminating the discard would be to have the Disarm Trap card (Jd) permit the player to collect the trap as treasure if no other cards had been played in the turn, since the Jd would remain to mark that turn of the delve. I think that's a non-problematic change, because the advantage that it supplies (at most) is a single non-hoard treasure (max 10 points, without contributing to a win). But at the same time, it may supply an extra incentive for the player to "waste" the Disarm Trap skill on a lower-value trap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Jessup
Canada
Langley
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Carthoris wrote:
This is the tiniest of variants to the standard rules. This game is one that I typically want to play in situations where table space is at a premium. I like to play with my "hand" in my hand, and the draw pile on the table, and I've done away with the discard pile.

When I discard due to a door penalty, I discard directly into that turn of the delve, rather than into a separate pile. Ditto for discarding a skill card to resolve an encounter.

This change should have no effect on game play whatsoever, but it reduces the size of the spread. Other, even less substantial changes include playing the burnt-out torches (Aces) horizontally overlapping each other across the top left of the spread (which seems thematically appropriate), and placing the hit point piles in the upper right corner of the spread.

One possible play change that could stem from eliminating the discard would be to have the Disarm Trap card (Jd) permit the player to collect the trap as treasure if no other cards had been played in the turn, since the Jd would remain to mark that turn of the delve. I think that's a non-problematic change, because the advantage that it supplies (at most) is a single non-hoard treasure (max 10 points, without contributing to a win). But at the same time, it may supply an extra incentive for the player to "waste" the Disarm Trap skill on a lower-value trap.
I like this idea. I now play this way all the time. One point about the (Jd). I always thought the Jacks were supposed to be played in the turn pile, not the discard pile. Otherwise playing the Jd would usually not get you any treasure. Doesn't seem very nice or thematic. I always take the treasure and leave the Jd in turn pile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Lowes
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
Hi, Matt here, the game designer. Cool variant for limited space. And as Brad says here, Jd and other Jacks are usually played on the turn anyway, so there no change there. Jh is the exception in that it's played on the lost hit points pile. Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald
Germany
Dresden
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
matthewlowes wrote:
Jh is the exception in that it's played on the lost hit points pile. Cheers!
I wonder why is that exception needed. I always play it in the delve because i feel it does not make a difference. Am i missing something here?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls