BattleLore» Forums » General

Subject: Minimum age? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Have faith
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The official publisher age is 10, but what minimum age would you recommend for this game?

Is this a game kids can enjoy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
The game is pretty reading intensive. Sure, I guess you could memorize the cards...

I would say, once the kid can comfortably read.

8ish, depending on the kid. My guy is 7, and I haven't put him into BattleLore just due to the amount of cards and reading. But he does play 40K - no active reading during play. Over the summer, maybe we'll play. Hard to tell.

IF they get taught the rules. I wouldn't expect them to handle the rulebook at that age.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Rosewater
Switzerland
Zürich
Switzerland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If this game should be played according to the rules then I would say even 12 years.
Of course younger kids enjoy the minis and can play some kind of their own but when it goes to grasping the rules and playing seriously then 10 years seems to be too optimistic.
If you have younger kids go with Heroscape. Just my 2 cents.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
goodsound wrote:
If this game should be played according to the rules then I would say even 12 years.

You are severely underestimating the intelligence of today's youth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Rourke
United Kingdom
Chesterfield
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
my 10 year old son is playing with the war council at the moment

My advice is to take it slowly from scenario 1 and when they start to struggle with new rules go back to where they are comfortable

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
????
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played it with my 8 1/2 year old son. We haven't used lore cards yet. He sometimes needs help with the tactics cards since there is a lot of text on those. The sections cards are no problem for him. His biggest issue is he gets fixated with a few units such as archers and tends to ingore the rest of the battlefield. He and I have a great deal of fun with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Buckle
United Kingdom
Thornton Heath
Croydon
flag msg tools
designer
NSKN are publishing my next game :)
badge
Imperium - coming sometime
mbmbmbmbmb
My son is 7 and plays BattleLore - but we've been playing Memoir'44 for a while (since he was 6).

I started out with Memoir without the tactics cards and just using infantry with no terrain, then added terrain, then tanks, then artillery. Then the tactics cards.

Battle Lore we leapt in and started playing from the first scenario. We're now at the first scenario using Lore cards - and replaying the battle trying the different decks to get a feel for each.

Trick is to introduce the game in bits, make sure they're happy with what they've been shown before adding the next layer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Rosewater
Switzerland
Zürich
Switzerland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
goodsound wrote:

You are severely underestimating the intelligence of today's youth.

The bottleneck is not intelligence but concentration and the will or power to do so for an hour.
However I am sure that kids from boardgamers are more intelligent than others and therefore miniumum age of 10 years is ok.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Have faith
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replies.
I've added this game to my kid games website, http://www.kidgameratings.com/game.aspx?GameID=411

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Carlton
United States
Shawnee
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My 7 year-old son enjoys playing it. We play with open Lore Cards. (But not open Command Cards - there are only a couple that need to be memorized.)

To be honest, he was a little bored with the first scenario, sans magic. But ever since I've introduced the War Council, he can't get enough.

For the record, he has an uncommonly long attention span. Far, far longer than my wife, actually.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Avtges
United States
Bridgewater
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
CONCEALED -3
badge
It's not easy being green.
mbmbmbmbmb
bucklen_uk wrote:
My son is 7 and plays BattleLore - but we've been playing Memoir'44 for a while (since he was 6).

I started out with Memoir without the tactics cards and just using infantry with no terrain, then added terrain, then tanks, then artillery. Then the tactics cards.

Battle Lore we leapt in and started playing from the first scenario. We're now at the first scenario using Lore cards - and replaying the battle trying the different decks to get a feel for each.

Trick is to introduce the game in bits, make sure they're happy with what they've been shown before adding the next layer.

I've gone a similar route with my 7yo and have had great success. We started with Memoir minus the tactics cards last year and quickly moved up to all the rules in Memoir. With BattleLore we played the scenarios in order (skipping #2) adding the new stuff as they were introduced by the scenarios. This really helped keep his interest as there was always something new to try in the next scenario. We are now playing full war council scenarios using all the rules. I recently submitted a session report of our last game playing the new scenario 13A, which really has everything...and, oh, he beat me in that game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Buckle
United Kingdom
Thornton Heath
Croydon
flag msg tools
designer
NSKN are publishing my next game :)
badge
Imperium - coming sometime
mbmbmbmbmb
nix342 wrote:
I've gone a similar route with my 7yo and have had great success. We started with Memoir minus the tactics cards last year and quickly moved up to all the rules in Memoir. With BattleLore we played the scenarios in order (skipping #2) adding the new stuff as they were introduced by the scenarios. This really helped keep his interest as there was always something new to try in the next scenario. We are now playing full war council scenarios using all the rules. I recently submitted a session report of our last game playing the new scenario 13A, which really has everything...and, oh, he beat me in that game.

My son is now keen to design his own battles - his first attempts weren't exactly fair. We now have an agreement that if one of us designs a battle, the other one gets to pick which side they play - this has made a big difference

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael W.
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whew thanks, was gonna try this with my Nephew but him being 8 years old and having the typical video gamer attention span, I think I'll go Heroscape for a "shared" minis game!

ArrOOoo!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.