Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

BGG» Forums » Gaming Related » Do It Yourself

Subject: After some kind of removable Laminate "style" cover for a game board. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Cruickshank
United Kingdom
Epsom
Surrey
flag msg tools
mb
Hi all, please feel free to yell at me if this has been mentioned before.

I'm after some kind of removable Laminate "style" cover for a game board.

I'm currently building a prototype for a game I have designed and wanted something that I could use to hold cut-outs of spaces and locations that will eventually comprise the final printed version of the game board, in place. My idea is to keep the board flexible while I test with different groups of friends and hopefully determine the optimum layout.

I know there are products out there similar to what I'm looking for as I'm sure I have seen artists or architects use such things in the past. Unfortunately my Google-Fu is too week.

Any ideas?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PJ Cunningham
United States
Greenfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just tape things together and put them under a big piece of clear acrylic (i.e. plexiglass).

But if you're looking for something that holds everything together and is somewhat transportable, a poster frame might do the trick. If that's too rigid or bulky, maybe transparent shelf liner or clear vinyl cling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
endeavor
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Could you go into more detail with the pieces and how changeable you need and such?
Right now I'm just picturing layers of that clear projection paper, I doubt that's what your looking for but now I can't shake it. Perhaps just using tack-board and interchange layers of paper you draw on or cut out on the fly?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Yellowbeard
United States
Winston-Salem
NC
flag msg tools
You're either born a pirate or not! It's in the blood...
mbmbmbmbmb
IDK where you would get the material in the size you may require but what about a vinyl cling material, similar to the old school "Colorforms"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Cruickshank
United Kingdom
Epsom
Surrey
flag msg tools
mb
mafman6 wrote:
Could you go into more detail with the pieces and how changeable you need and such?
Right now I'm just picturing layers of that clear projection paper, I doubt that's what your looking for but now I can't shake it. Perhaps just using tack-board and interchange layers of paper you draw on or cut out on the fly?
So the game board itself will be made up of special locations and the individual movement spaces, all of which I wish to be interchangeable so i can chop it up and move it all around without having to create brand new iterations of it.

A bit like old school 2D cell animations only i guess using bits of card or paper instead of plastic for the pieces.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Cruickshank
United Kingdom
Epsom
Surrey
flag msg tools
mb
CapnYB wrote:
IDK where you would get the material in the size you may require but what about a vinyl cling material, similar to the old school "Colorforms"?
That's a great idea although i have no idea where i would get that from or how to make it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PJ Cunningham
United States
Greenfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gyle wrote:
So the game board itself will be made up of special locations and the individual movement spaces, all of which I wish to be interchangeable so i can chop it up and move it all around without having to create brand new iterations of it.
If you want to be able to make changes on the fly, I'd suggest a Post-It style tacky board, such as this. (I've seen cheaper versions around.) The adhesive holds paper in place during the game, but allows endless repositioning of the pieces whenever you want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
me myself
msg tools
mb
My sugesstion is clear adhesive book covers:
http://www.amazon.com/Con-Tact-Brand-Self-Adhesive-Protectiv...

You might be able to find them in dollar stores or department stores for cheap.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Saunders
United States
Syracuse
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about pages from a "magic" photo album. You know, the ones where you peal back the clear plastic, place the photo then re-cover with the clear plastic sheet. Instead of photos, use your game parts and just tape a bunch of pages together to make the board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls