Star Wars: Rebellion» Forums » General

Subject: The game reminds of the old classic Freedom in the Galaxy rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Frank Müller
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmb
I cannot help but the theme of the game is inspired to the old Avalon Hill classic scifi strategy game Freedom in the Galaxy, a monstrous ultra complex 2 player game where one player plays as the empire and the other as the rebels. It has all, a character level where the rebels excel and a military level with focus on the empire.

I played the scenarios of the game several times but the full game only once. 20y ago we played FotG about 50 hours for 1 full week (6-8h per day) till an imperial victory. It was one of the most intensive gaming experiences in my life.

What do you think, is this game SWR inspired by FotG?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Batarlis
United States
Springfield
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow!

I immediately searched it and YEAH Very interesting! I think you may be right/on to something there Frank!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you sure Freedom in the Galaxy didn't remind you of Star Wars?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Beckler
United States
Unspecified
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IIRC, Freedom in the Galaxy was "heavily inspired" by Star Wars. Then, the PC game "Star Wars Rebellion" came out, which was "heavily inspired" by Freedom in the Galaxy. Strange how all that worked out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
United States
Plainfield
ILLINOIS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
enpeze wrote:
I cannot help but the theme of the game is inspired to the old Avalon Hill classic scifi strategy game Freedom in the Galaxy, a monstrous ultra complex 2 player game where one player plays as the empire and the other as the rebels. It has all, a character level where the rebels excel and a military level with focus on the empire.

I played the scenarios of the game several times but the full game only once. 20y ago we played FotG about 50 hours for 1 full week (6-8h per day) till an imperial victory. It was one of the most intensive gaming experiences in my life.

What do you think, is this game SWR inspired by FotG?

Others agree and mentioned in some of the other threads. I remember playing Freedom a long time ago and having a lot of fun. Lets hope this game will be just as fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Sun Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's the fact that the PC game of the same name borrowed some of the mechanics of Freedom in the Galaxy that my first thought was also 'is this game going to be similar?' I suspect not but I'll be buying it just the same as I like the basic concept of Rebels vs. The Established Order type of games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtis Sutherland
United States
Spring
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I find it hard to imagine this game being as cool as freedom is. (I own 2 copies of freedom, one unpunched)

If it does not have groups of characters traveling through the empire in falcon like starships, hiding like criminals from the authorities, fighting 'Irate locals' on every kind of world you can imagine, and performing every kind of mission from political persuasions to sabotage, assassinations, heists etc etc,..then it will only be half as cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gindlesperger
United States
Shaker Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
Are you sure Freedom in the Galaxy didn't remind you of Star Wars?

Which comes first? The chicken...or the chicken that follows him?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gindlesperger
United States
Shaker Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, it's funny--I just nabbed a copy of FitG in an auction because I'd been wanting a game like this--and just as I'm about to get it, FFG announces Rebellion! Uncanny.

I started up a thread about this very relationship on the FFG forums--got some very interesting responses.

https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/192801-freedo...

It seems so far that the new FFG boardgame has taken much of its inspiration (and even its name) from the old video game, which commenters here and elsewhere have implied takes its inspiration from FitG--so it looks like there's a lineage, much like Civilization and all its progeny.

Hopefully we'll hear more about how Corey approached the design in future news items...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
Freedom in the Galaxy was designed and published by SPI in 1979. It was later picked up by Avalon Hill (presumably as part of their rights-purchasing agreement with SPI, for help with financial problems), and reprinted under the AH logo. (I own the original SPI version.)

Yes, it was a game design inspired by Star Wars. Of that there is no doubt, as it was well known by readers of Strategy & Tactics magazine, in the late seventies. However, SPI could not afford the licensing agreement to use the title or any IP associated with it. So, they came up with their own names for everything - many of them are puns. (Take another look with that in mind.)

At various times, the game has been touted as vastly favoring the Rebels, or vastly favoring the Imperials. (Don't know what the final word on that is.) Also, there are some errata for the game that you should incorporate into your game play.

Yes, it is a blast to play, assuming one player does not find a way to game the system that the other player misses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Müller
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmb
DarrellKH wrote:
Freedom in the Galaxy was designed and published by SPI in 1979. It was later picked up by Avalon Hill (presumably as part of their rights-purchasing agreement with SPI, for help with financial problems), and reprinted under the AH logo. (I own the original SPI version.)

Yes, it was a game design inspired by Star Wars. Of that there is no doubt, as it was well known by readers of Strategy & Tactics magazine, in the late seventies. However, SPI could not afford the licensing agreement to use the title or any IP associated with it. So, they came up with their own names for everything - many of them are puns. (Take another look with that in mind.)

At various times, the game has been touted as vastly favoring the Rebels, or vastly favoring the Imperials. (Don't know what the final word on that is.) Also, there are some errata for the game that you should incorporate into your game play.

Yes, it is a blast to play, assuming one player does not find a way to game the system that the other player misses.

I remember that both sides in our monster game in the 90ties have been quite equal chances to win. It was a close victory by the empire after a full week of 5-10h daily play. Unfortunately I never again had the time to play another full campaign game.

So I hope the SWR game catches up the flavour of the old AH classic but with shorter playing time and not so complex rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Ford
United States
Cupertino
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm buying Rebellion, but if worse comes to worse, I can put these game pieces on my FitG board to help drive home the feel! :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Watson
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As several of the previous posters have pointed out, there's certainly a common inspiration for both games in the "Empire against the Rebels" story of Star Wars, so I totally agree with the OP that this is reminiscent of Freedom in the Galaxy. But I'm very doubtful that FFG is looking much to FITG for design ideas for Star Wars: Rebellion.

Back in the day (you know--where the original trilogy films were playing in the theaters) I loved playing FITG -- good fun with lots going on. But it's a big unwieldy game that's quite a bit different from most of the stuff I've played from FFG. For me, the whole point of playing FITG was to tackle the entirety of the Rebellion, which meant playing the complete galactic game. For that you're talking about 20 hours of play for players reasonably familiar with the rules. The game can be complicated. For example, the mission mechanics are clever, and certainly innovative for a late '70s design, but resolving each mission can take a while, especially if there's a lot of combat encounters. Similarly, military combat can be pretty involved, and heck, even movement and detection can have you looking up the rules. FITG is very much the standard SPI hex and counter wargame treatment of a Star Wars-style situation. It's a great game, but not one I play very often these days due to the time required. And it's not a design I think would appeal to lots of gamers these days, nor one that fits in FFG's current stable of games.

We only know what we know about SWR from what FFG has put out (along with some pretty insightful guesses by posters in some of the other forums for the game). Perhaps this is just some wishful thinking on my part, but to me SWR looks like a War of the Ring level game in terms of complexity and length of play, and that's just fine with me. I'd love a strategic Star Wars game that offered varied play options, incorporated key story elements, balanced large military forces with character actions, and played in 3 or 4 hours. I'm excited for this game because it's taking on the same subject matter as FITG -- and gets to be set in the actual Star Wars universe

(That said, if whatever company currently holds the rights to FITG were to publish a slightly revamped and streamlined new edition of the game, I couldn't wait to buy a copy and get it on the table.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.