Subject: Agressive Germany going east rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Olsen
Denmark
Ringsted
Danmark
flag msg tools
Microbadge: FeminismMicrobadge: Star Trek: The Next Generation fanMicrobadge: Every Game is Better with DwarvesMicrobadge: My obsession with my family interferes with my board gamesMicrobadge: Dudeist
So, I am trying out a very very agressive Germany going east, and while I admit the Axis have been slightly lucky so far (in the diplomacy), it has proven to be a very effective strategy... so far.

The picture is end of December 1939. Sorry about the bad picture quality, I am terrible at taking pictures, but for an overview I think you get the (he!) picture.

From gallery of Michael_Olsen

September I declared war on Soviet, and took Poland.

October was spend invading Denmark. That was easy, we Danes are lovers not fighters ; - )

November was a break from all the fighting.

December was spend on taking Norway (who says you can not invade Norway in Poor weather? Certainly not me, although I admit there was a slight chance of it failing).
The diplomacy advantage from taking Norway was spend on making Finland Pro Axis. In the same turn the Axis draw diplomacy success, which activated the Finns (who are all too eager to strike on Russia of course).
The same turn the West drew Diplomacy Failure, which was used on activating Italy (who I made pro axis back in September I believe).

The idea is to move troops up through Norway and Finland, to be ready tro strike Russia from 2 fronts when winter clears up.

In the meantime Italy is going to strike Yugoslavia, and hopefully I can make Romania an Axis power without invading it. That will give Soviet a real headache.

Now, if only I can complete this before the West activates...

Thoughts?

I am still a newbie at this game, so probably I made tons of mistakes. Please feel free to point them out, thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Haggett
United States
Riverside
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Wargamer of 30+ yearsMicrobadge: Mage Knight Board Game - Tovak fanMicrobadge: Cataclysm:  A Second World War fanMicrobadge: Unconditional Surrender! World War 2 in Europe - Western PlayerMicrobadge: Earthrise - most beautiful spectacle in the solar system
Looks good so far. A long 1940 seems to be in order for the Soviets arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark S.
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Level 01 BGG posterMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek Veteran
Michael_Olsen wrote:
The idea is to move troops up through Norway and Finland, to be ready tro strike Russia from 2 fronts when winter clears up.
Don't forget that German troops moving through Norway and Finland will need to be supplied.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Olsen
Denmark
Ringsted
Danmark
flag msg tools
Microbadge: FeminismMicrobadge: Star Trek: The Next Generation fanMicrobadge: Every Game is Better with DwarvesMicrobadge: My obsession with my family interferes with my board gamesMicrobadge: Dudeist
Dig In wrote:
Michael_Olsen wrote:
Don't forget that German troops moving through Norway and Finland will need to be supplied.
Thanks for pointing that out. Supply is the part I find the hardest actually.

So... I can get 2 limited supply from Oslo, or just the convoy in Hamburg for unlimited supply (but the convoy gets 1 sortie per unit), is that correct?

Thanks for any insight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Haggett
United States
Riverside
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Wargamer of 30+ yearsMicrobadge: Mage Knight Board Game - Tovak fanMicrobadge: Cataclysm:  A Second World War fanMicrobadge: Unconditional Surrender! World War 2 in Europe - Western PlayerMicrobadge: Earthrise - most beautiful spectacle in the solar system
That's correct. You might consider an air unit in Norway for the Strat War benefits--it gives the benefits whether at full or limited supply.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Dey
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Unconditional Surrender! World War 2 in Europe - Axis PlayerMicrobadge: I take my time.Microbadge: Dice Love MeMicrobadge: Sinfest fanMicrobadge: US Marine Corps
Just to clarify, the convoy cannot supply the ground units in Scandinavia if it's in Hamburg. It needs to be in a port on the end of the supply line, not the start.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Olsen
Denmark
Ringsted
Danmark
flag msg tools
mark dey wrote:
Just to clarify, the convoy cannot supply the ground units in Scandinavia if it's in Hamburg. It needs to be in a port on the end of the supply line, not the start.
Great, thanks. Then the plan is to have the convoy positioned in Oslo, and use it to supply 2 units, which are going up to the Finnish border, and down again to help against the Russians.
I can have no more than 2 units in full supply, because otherwise I can not keep up with removing the sorties (only 2 sorties can be removed per convoy in the replacement phase). But that is ok, 2 units seems like a good number.

I can then keep 1 or 2 garrisons in Norway. Maybe not now, but later on they will be needed to defend Norway.

Thanks for the help. I will post pictures in, say, slightly less than a years playtime from now, including short monthly reports as above.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hannes Sörensson
Sweden
flag msg tools
Microbadge: "TAKE SIX MEAT DAMAGE, FROWNY EURODUDE!"Microbadge: Earthbound fan - Working through the night Jeff fixed the Broken Bazooka. After being fixed, the Broken bazooka became the Heavy Bazooka.Microbadge: Paths of Glory fanMicrobadge: Android: Netrunner fan - NBNMicrobadge: Twilight Struggle fan
The Soviet lines are looking pretty thin. I didn't check the numbers, but did you remember to trigger the USSR Northern Border event when you activated the Finns?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Olsen
Denmark
Ringsted
Danmark
flag msg tools
Hattes wrote:
The Soviet lines are looking pretty thin. I didn't check the numbers, but did you remember to trigger the USSR Northern Border event when you activated the Finns?
Thanks. No the northern border was not checked, I missed that.

I also just now realize I can not trace supply through Norway, due to lacking infrastructure, so it looks like I need to conquer Sweden (or befriend them, but I would rather conquer).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Olsen
Denmark
Ringsted
Danmark
flag msg tools

Fixed Finnish border:

From gallery of Michael_Olsen

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timo Kellomäki
Finland
Tampere
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Analysis Paralysis is in my blood!Microbadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: World in Flames fanMicrobadge: Unconditional Surrender! World War 2 in Europe - Axis PlayerMicrobadge: I Play Monster WarGames
The northern route should probably also be defended, or Russia may lose Murmansk/Finns Oulu pretty quickly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hannes Sörensson
Sweden
flag msg tools
Microbadge: "TAKE SIX MEAT DAMAGE, FROWNY EURODUDE!"Microbadge: Earthbound fan - Working through the night Jeff fixed the Broken Bazooka. After being fixed, the Broken bazooka became the Heavy Bazooka.Microbadge: Paths of Glory fanMicrobadge: Android: Netrunner fan - NBNMicrobadge: Twilight Struggle fan
Michael_Olsen wrote:
I also just now realize I can not trace supply through Norway, due to lacking infrastructure, so it looks like I need to conquer Sweden (or befriend them, but I would rather conquer).
No need for that, just park your convoy somewhere in Finland (for example Helsinki).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Olsen
Denmark
Ringsted
Danmark
flag msg tools
Hattes wrote:
Michael_Olsen wrote:
No need for that, just park your convoy somewhere in Finland (for example Helsinki).
True, true. I actually did notice that after posting, but decided to go for Sweden anyway, since in many ways I am still learning, and I particularly want to try how much can be done in Scandinavia (very little it seems, which makes sense).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark S.
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Daemou wrote:
The northern route should probably also be defended, or Russia may lose Murmansk/Finns Oulu pretty quickly.
I left the northern route unguarded in my first play - I then realized an Axis unit could be Strat Moved all the way to the doorstep of Murmansk.
So you probably want to cover both routes with the two armies you get for the North Invaded event. In my case Norway was conquered, and Sweden and Finland were Axis. So a German ground unit in Oslo could strat move all the way to northern Russia with nothing in the way.

Michael_Olsen wrote:
I particularly want to try how much can be done in Scandinavia (very little it seems, which makes sense).
You'll find any time that you are tracing supply via sea that the size of your offensives are limited. Not necessarily bad or of no use, but usually just a single army with air support, or two ground units.
And the faded hexes in Scandinavia make it a single lane for moving.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark S.
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Not to veer off topic...but has anyone tried sending the Swedes into the Eastern Front?
If:
Norway = conquered
Sweden = Axis
Finland = holding the line against the Red Army

Couple of extra armies could be helpful on the northern part of the Russian front.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timo Kellomäki
Finland
Tampere
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Analysis Paralysis is in my blood!Microbadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: World in Flames fanMicrobadge: Unconditional Surrender! World War 2 in Europe - Axis PlayerMicrobadge: I Play Monster WarGames
Dig In wrote:
Not to veer off topic...but has anyone tried sending the Swedes into the Eastern Front?

Couple of extra armies could be helpful on the northern part of the Russian front.
I've had the Swedes as German allies a couple of times, but the problem is you need to also have Finland to get full supply (without using the expensive convoy), and even then there's not enough space for them to matter. I still have sent one of their armies over, using the convoy for supply or keeping them in low supply. Same as all allies, they are very useful against breakthroughs etc but start to become a liability in the front line when USSR gets proper units.

In one game, Sweden was Axis but Finland was Soviet. The Soviets actually sent planes over and managed to break through and conquer the whole of Scandinavia by early 1944. It didn't matter, though, since the Allies had lost the whole of Africa and Middle East in that game. But that's the only time anything happened in Scandinavia for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salvatore Vasta
United States
Woodstock
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Microbadge: Unconditional Surrender! World War 2 in Europe - Western PlayerMicrobadge: Calvin and Hobbes fanMicrobadge: Soccer fanMicrobadge: Plays Games With FamilyMicrobadge: Level 09 BGG poster
Remember if Finland is an active Axis country, Axis Swedish units can not move into Finland due to Cooperation Limits (10.3.2). It can Strat Move or trace supply through it.

Sal
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls