Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
19 Posts

Pandemic Legacy: Season 1» Forums » Rules

Subject: (March - No spoilers) manadotory / non-mandatory missions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rafał Kruczek
Poland
Legnica
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
We finished March game with two misions.
Mandatory mission A
Non-mandatory Mission B
Non mandatory mission C left unsolved.
Is mission B repeatable? Can we solve mission B in April?
A) mission is repeatble until is explicetely destroyed when instructed by Event Deck
B) Only Mandatory mission is repetable...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Krajewski
United States
Fitchburg
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
User mkrajew
badge
Avatar
Microbadge: Cooperative Games fanMicrobadge:  I'm Board! Games & Family Fun FanMicrobadge: University of WisconsinMicrobadge: Curling fanMicrobadge: Pandemic Legacy fan
All objectives are repeatable the next game unless otherwise stated in the rules.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freierfall Sonnenflieger
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
March-Spoiler Question
Spoiler (click to reveal)
wtf 3 Missions? Are you talking about a different month? My objective was to eradicate 1 disease and place a Military-Base on each Continent??
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tilou
France
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
Freierfall wrote:
March-Spoiler Question
Spoiler (click to reveal)
wtf 3 Missions? Are you talking about a different month? My objective was to eradicate 1 disease and place a Military-Base on each Continent??
The mission from the previous month is still active and mandatory.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freierfall Sonnenflieger
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, I have missed this rule. Then we played march wrong. We thought we had to complete both of the new missions (and made it on the first try, although with a lot of suffering & with a different rule wrong, due to poor german translation...)
So, until a legacy card tells me to destroy the february objective
Spoiler (click to reveal)
(cure 3)
it stays in play? So it was mandatory, and because march was a "2 mission month" we had to do one of the 2 new missions from that month?
Do the 2 march missions stay in play as well?

Man, some of the rules to this game are rather convoluted... might need some more hints how to play correctly in the 2. edition
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Krajewski
United States
Fitchburg
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
User mkrajew
badge
Avatar
Microbadge: Cooperative Games fanMicrobadge:  I'm Board! Games & Family Fun FanMicrobadge: University of WisconsinMicrobadge: Curling fanMicrobadge: Pandemic Legacy fan
Yes. You never destroy an objective until something tells you do so. The "Cure 3 diseases" mission is mandatory and must be completed as one of your objectives in order to win the month.

The base rulebook does have a sentence about mandatory objectives needing to be completed in order to win the month, and that you need to complete the number of objectives printed on the gameboard for the month you are playing in order to win.

The basic idea is never to get rid of anything until the game tells you to
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Cowart
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
Yeah my group messed this up the first time we did March as well. We won really quick, only to see that we should have kept the other one after we cleaned up.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K L
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb


Ummm...isn't the fact there are mandatory and non-mandatory objectives in and of themselves spoilers?

Could the title be amended for the enjoyment of others looking to be selectively spoiled. (I'm being selfish as am going into Spoiler threads after I complete that month to read what others have done...)

Thanks.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Mung
msg tools
Klazybee wrote:


Ummm...isn't the fact there are mandatory and non-mandatory objectives in and of themselves spoilers?

Could the title be amended for the enjoyment of others looking to be selectively spoiled. (I'm being selfish as am going into Spoiler threads after I complete that month to read what others have done...)

Thanks.
There's no spoiler. The base rules talk about mandatory and non-mandatory objectives. It's in the overview section.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafał Kruczek
Poland
Legnica
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Klazybee wrote:


Ummm...isn't the fact there are mandatory and non-mandatory objectives in and of themselves spoilers?

Could the title be amended for the enjoyment of others looking to be selectively spoiled. (I'm being selfish as am going into Spoiler threads after I complete that month to read what others have done...)

Thanks.
I consider my post as non-spoler becouse I didn't give any specifics of the missions. It is general question which comes when playing during the march game.
Other posters spoiled the mandatory mission. So I marked the posts.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Pagano
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
I came here with a question, but a closer read of the rules answered it for me... but I think I'll post it here anyways in case it's useful to someone else...

Do you have to declare which non-mandatory objective you're going after at the start of the game?

Say you have 1 mandatory objective and 2 non-mandatory objectives. You're in a month where you need 2 objectives to win. You must do the mandatory objective. Maybe you started on one non-mandatory objective but it became too hard. You'll want to switch over to the other non-mandatory objective later. Clearly, committing to a particular objective in advance is harder.

Answer is: No, you do not have to declare in advance.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Looby Lou
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Freierfall wrote:
March-Spoiler Question
Spoiler (click to reveal)
wtf 3 Missions? Are you talking about a different month? My objective was to eradicate 1 disease and place a Military-Base on each Continent??
Yep us too!.. We completed 2 of the non- mandatory objectives snore

We carried on to play the first game in May (which we lost) before realising!!

So in hindsight, I think we would have lost our April game had we carried on to complete the mandatory objective.

So I'm kind of worried about what to do!..
If we put April down to a loss and play April a second time, all stickers would be different on the board (panic levels etc) from playing May!

I would guess we'll just carry on regardless!

They should have made it so much clearer though
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
Microbadge: Rubber Ducky
Loobylou wrote:
Yep us too!.. We only eradicated and done the [REDACTED] :snore:
That's a spoiler!

Please either avoid spoilers or put them behind spoiler tags. Some of us haven't got that far into the game yet.

(As an aside, I'm pretty impressed that's only the fifth spoiler I've received so far in the forum, and all have been similarly minor. I saw the people bowing out from the forums until they'd finished the season and I thought about joining them. But I didn't, and so far I've emerged relatively unscathed.)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Looby Lou
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
clivej wrote:
Loobylou wrote:
Yep us too!.. We only eradicated and done the [REDACTED] snore
That's a spoiler!

Please either avoid spoilers or put them behind spoiler tags. Some of us haven't got that far into the game yet.

(As an aside, I'm pretty impressed that's only the fifth spoiler I've received so far in the forum, and all have been similarly minor. I saw the people bowing out from the forums until they'd finished the season and I thought about joining them. But I didn't, and so far I've emerged relatively unscathed.)
Oops sorry bout tht
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tolin
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mkrajew wrote:
Yes. You never destroy an objective until something tells you do so. The "Cure 3 diseases" mission is mandatory and must be completed as one of your objectives in order to win the month.

The base rulebook does have a sentence about mandatory objectives needing to be completed in order to win the month, and that you need to complete the number of objectives printed on the gameboard for the month you are playing in order to win.

The basic idea is never to get rid of anything until the game tells you to
I don't have the rulebook in front of me, and it's been awhile since we last played, but is there a section of the rulebook that explains the objectives stay in play? I remember we were confused because you are told to clear the board at the end of the month, but it seemed like (at least some) objectives needed to stay around. We kept them, so we played correctly, but the rule of thumb ("never get rid of anything until the game tells you to") doesn't really work when the game tells you to clear the board (i.e., "get rid of everything") at the end of the month.

It's probably something we missed in the rules, though, so I thought I'd ask.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Eakins
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How is clearing the board equal to get rid of, the don't get rid of unless specifically told to is don't trash, clearing the board means get everything not attached to the board off the board so game can be resetup or put in the box, missions are called for in setup aren't they?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jreakins wrote:
How is clearing the board equal to get rid of, the don't get rid of unless specifically told to is don't trash, clearing the board means get everything not attached to the board off the board so game can be resetup or put in the box, missions are called for in setup aren't they?
The rulebook is not entirely clear about how the Legacy side of things work. The actual process:

0) You start the campaign with (more or less) the components for base-game Pandemic, and a sheet of stickers, all of which are "in play", and 8 sealed packages, 5 "dossiers" of concealed stickers, and the Legacy Deck, all of which are "out of play".

1) At various points during the game, you draw cards from the Legacy Deck, or are otherwise instructed to bring new components into play - for example, opening Box 8 should you lose 4 games.

2) At the end of each game, you pack the components back into the box, then as part of setting up the next game, you unpack everything again. Any component that's been brought into play in a previous game is still "in play" at this point.

3) At various points, you are instructed to destroy various components. At that point, the destroyed component permanently ceases to be part of the game, and is no longer included when setting up future games.

So for a hypothetical "Group Hug" objective (Have all player pawns in the same city - this objective only counts if it's true at the end of the game):

0) It begins the game somewhere in the middle of the Legacy Deck
1) Before the first game in May, it gets drawn from the Legacy Deck and added to the objectives for that game.
2) It's still in the box for June and July (and late May) so gets included in those games.
3) At the start of August, with the global situation getting worse, someone decides that it's bad for the CDC's public image, so you're told to destroy the objective. For your games in August and later, getting together is no longer one of your objectives.


Meanwhile, the rules just tell you to "integrate new cards (if any) to the game" - reading between the lines, that gets you "from now on, they're part of the game until something tells you otherwise", but it's not helped by "Writing on the board, putting stickers on the board or on cards, and possibly tearing up or destroying components are permanent changes. In all other ways, the game resets for the start of each game. The pieces on the board, cards in hand, outbreaks, etc. all start fresh." on page 3. In fact, whenever you draw from the Legacy Deck, you make permanent changes to the game which do not reset, which makes that rule an outright lie.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
Microbadge: Rubber Ducky
I like the "Group hug" objective. It sounds like it's from some alternate-universe version of Pandemic Legacy where everything is kinder and gentler.

There should also be an objective to put cute kittens in every city infected with your most virulent disease. It won't actually do anything to fight the disease, but at least the people in those cities will feel better about it.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
clivej wrote:
I like the "Group hug" objective. It sounds like it's from some alternate-universe version of Pandemic Legacy where everything is kinder and gentler.

There should also be an objective to put cute kittens in every city infected with your most virulent disease. It won't actually do anything to fight the disease, but at least the people in those cities will feel better about it.
Sadly it scales terribly with player count and is totally broken with the Dispatcher, which makes it a great non-spoiler example because it's obviously not an actual thing from the game, while still being plausible enough to work as an example (YMMV).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls