United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
British Arrival and Fog

Section 13.3 and Terrain Table on map

British formations entering on hexes A and B subtract three from their movement die roll. These forces arrive on turn one which is a fog turn. The fog further reduces movement. Do these movement reductions stack?

Section 15.1

There is no designation as to what is a battalion. There is also no description as to what are the units with the unit type of the small squares. Presumably all of the British non-artillery plus the American units Dearborn and Morgan are battalions. Right?

A Battalion may add its combat strength to that of another unit. Could a stack of four battalions in a hex add all of their combat strengths to an attack (where one is battalion is designated the primary unit)?

The standard rules don't mention the optional rule to convert an EX result to a DR. Are there any restrictions on when this can be done?

Thank you.

Terry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noel Wright
United States
El Dorado
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe the units with the small squares are battalions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noel Wright
United States
El Dorado
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think a battalion is only able to add its strength to one other unit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noel Wright
United States
El Dorado
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The DG standard M&S e-rules may help.

http://decisiongames.com/wpsite/e-rules/folio-series-e-rules...

Converting EX to Dr? That's in the errata and clarifications in the folio section.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Lerda
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Star Wars fan - Confederacy of Independent SystemsMicrobadge: Arthur C. Clarke fanMicrobadge: Floppy Disk fanMicrobadge: "I'm a doctor, not a . . ." - Dr. Leonard McCoyMicrobadge: Wars and Battles - The Korean War 1950-51 fan
The rules state that a unit with an "R" appended to its movement allowance is a "rifled" unit and may "skirmish" at a distance of two hexes. But no units have an "R" on their movement allowances. Rudesill's formation has an "R" but that is to identify the Formation. Does it also count as a "rifled" unit?

More Decision Games confusion. As usual, they snatch a game from the jaws of greatness and leave us with questions. And there is a fundamental flaw in the Musket & Sabre system. A 2- or 3- strength artillery unit can rout or demoralize a 7-strength unit or an entire battalion? Doesn't make sense to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb
United States
Seminole
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fog
I assume the movement restrictions stack. It might mean the units can't enter, which seems weird. Maybe they don't whistle

Battalions
Units with 3 little boxes instead of a bar across the counter are battalions. All British infantry units are battalions, as are Dearborn and Morgan on the American side.

I think if you have multiple battalions in a hex, each can add its combat strength to any one other unit (the unit in question I assume can't also be a battalion that is simultaneously adding its combat to ANOTHER unit, but who knows)

Edit: I'm going to reverse myself here after examining the M&S Standard rules. In that ruleset, only 1 battalion can add its combat strength in a hex. Therefore, I assume that's the intent here. Otherwise, you get weird outcomes: the Brits would only wander around in stacks of 4 counters and it would be a very strange game. [/edit]

Rifled Units - there are only 2
Morgan is a Rifle unit - the R is next to the Battalion icons, not next to the movement allowance

Jager is a rifled unit.

Light units - there are only 2
Dearborn is a Light unit.

The British Light unit is a light unit (of course)

Militia & Irregulars - there are 3 in total
New York and Conn are militia and are lights in woods only (which I guess is why their "L" icon is in a blue circle).

The British Irreg (light green color) is a light unit in woods

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls