Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tldr; Just looking for some experienced eyes to look for holes/weaknesses in my planned party/upgrade paths.

Its a 2 player game, I'm a moderately experienced descent player, hes a very experienced one. We just finished a campaign with me as the imperials where I slaughtered him on most of the maps (as an aside, he did not use Diala, after poking around here a bit it seems like that might have actually secured him a lot more wins). After feeling guilty all campaign about the overwhelming force at my disposal I am now realizing that if I want to put up a better showing for the rebels my shit is gonna have to be tight.

I've based these plans on getting about 10xp (what my opponent got last campaign)

So here is what I'm thinking (skills roughly in order):

Diala(support, options): Force Adept(1), Force Throw(1), Battle Meditation(2), Sarlacc(4), Defensive Stance or Movement (2/3, ideal xp gain)

Jyn(objectives, burst): Smugglers Luck(1), Quick Whip(1), Sidewinder(4), Trick Shot(4), Get Cocky/Gunslinger(3, ideal xp gain)

Gideon(support, low credit requirements for effectiveness): Air of Command(2), Masterstroke(4), Mobile Tactician(2), Rallying Shout(3), Rallying is already a stretch, I would probably just pick up the 1 pointers with any excess.

Biv(burst/tank): Shake it off(1), Advance(1), Trophy Armor(3), Stay Down(4), Bayonet/Final Stand (3/4, ideal)

I guess my goal here is to always have movement options and pick up every crate(at least early/mid campaign) while still being strong in all 3 skill-check categories and meeting minimum requirements on aoe and burst damage. I have avoided Mak, Fenn and Wookie because they were used previously, but if Biv really has to go in favor of Maks burst or Fenns aoe, I guess thats ok.

If you've read all this and crafted a response, thank you very much nice person, may the dice always roll in your favor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks balanced and there will be synergies. But every campaign will still play differently...

I think Diala should forget about Way of the Sarlacc unless she gets a replacement melee weapon. But that's only my opinion, and you will probably adjust the order of the skills depending on how the campaign progresses anyway. Force Adept and Battle Meditation are the most important (annoying for the imperial player). With Gideon in the game Force Throw is not that important, so it can wait.

I would probably take Quick As a Whip for Jyn first. Cheap Shot is also good if you can't get weapons that have Stun.

(Our Twin Shadows campaign has Biv, Saska, Gaarkhan and Diala, because the first campaign was with Gideon, Mak, Jyn and Fenn.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
a1bert wrote:
Looks balanced and there will be synergies. But every campaign will still play differently...

I think Diala should forget about Way of the Sarlacc unless she gets a replacement melee weapon. But that's only my opinion, and you will probably adjust the order of the skills depending on how the campaign progresses anyway. Force Adept and Battle Meditation are the most important (annoying for the imperial player). With Gideon in the game Force Throw is not that important, so it can wait.

I would probably take Quick As a Whip for Jyn first. Cheap Shot is also good if you can't get weapons that have Stun.

(Our Twin Shadows campaign has Biv, Saska, Gaarkhan and Diala, because the first campaign was with Gideon, Mak, Jyn and Fenn.)
Thanks! That is a good point about Gideon and not needing to get force throw very early. Are stuns important? I had a few available to me as the imperial player but was almost never stunned by the rebels. On a basic level eating an action is huge, but it seems to matter less to the rebels who can still move with stamina/abilities after clearing the stun. In addition to that damage seems more valuable (if given an either/or) as the imperial objective is often "wound all heroes". This all from one campaign of course, but that is where my head is at right now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stuns are important if the Imperial puts out very high-health, high-damage-output figures that you can't take out even with the perfect shot or two. If you can deal bleed, that is good as well.

On the other hand, if rebels invest a lot in dealing a lot of damage in their attacks and one-shotting 5+ -health figures, as the imperial player I'm going to revert to having a lot of cheap figures for the rebels to one-shot instead. That does not work that well against Fenn with Rebel Elite (Blast 2Microbadge: Star Wars: Imperial Assault fan).

The strategy is fluid if you aim to play well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Force Throw would be more valuable with Mak and Disengage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J-o Jankowski
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
a1bert wrote:
Curious how your first campaign went with Gideon, Mak, Jyn, and Fenn?? I have so much fear of using a group like this because they are so low in Health and Mak and Jyn are just so fragile.....The more I play, the more I find total Health in the group to be significant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Everyone was new to the game, I was playing the IP with Military Might, and I easily won the campaign. The rebels won the first 3 missions, we were tied 5-5, but it was 8-5 imperial victory (including the finale).

I think ignoring crates in the missions that the rebels lost had its share how the final few missions turned out, but it was also a learning campaign. Rebels did not know what to expect and did not plan for their skills that much, and maybe bought too much too early.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R5D4 .

Colorado
msg tools
About the only thing I might recommend is taking Dancing Weapon over Way of the Sarlacc. It's less strain and far easier to use. Near the end of the campaign, the Imperial player starts putting out fewer and more powerful figures as opposed to easily massacred minions.

I would also think about taking Crushing Blow and the Vibrobayonet sooner on Biv, perhaps even first. If he needs Health/Armor you can slap on Combat Cost or Laminate, but until either of those two, his most useful ability is actually quite useless.

YMMV.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls