Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joseph Paulsen
United States
San Jose
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Which quarter 2016 will Air Raid Pearl Harbor be released? December 7th?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wesley gulick
United States
French Camp
California
flag msg tools
That would be a great shipping date at minimum.
Joseph, are you in marketing by chance?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike W
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: There can be no peace until they renounce their Rabbit god and accept our Duck god.Microbadge: GEV fanMicrobadge: 18xx fanMicrobadge: Stars Without Number RPG fanMicrobadge: University of Virginia
tangageek wrote:
Which quarter 2016 will Air Raid Pearl Harbor be released? December 7th?
The goal is to have it released in December 2016 for the 150th anniversary. December 7th would be a nice touch. Even better would be a little earlier so we can all play it on December 7th, 2016.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Heim
United States
Unspecified
Iowa
flag msg tools
Actually, the goal is to release on or before the 75th anniversary - December 7, 2016.

The game is just shy of the halfway point in CPO numbers after about six weeks. It needs to get to 250+ by March-April to achieve the target publication date.

So, those interested in this topic and those who know those interested in this topic should head to: http://www.legionwargames.com/legion_pre-order.php and put in a pre-order (or two).

If you have any questions you can go to the Legion folder or the Air Raid! folder on CSW: http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX/.1dd3a0e6/13608 and http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX/.1dda82e0/261 and have at me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Canning
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking forward to this one - I hope it reaches 250 soon!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E Githens

Ft. Worth
Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Mr. Heim,

I see you're just shy of the 250 needed to produce. I know it's taken a good while to get here, but I sincerely hope you're still planning on producing this game whenever you get the requisite orders.

I look forward to it.

AFIntel

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hoyt

Butte
Montana
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dec 7th 2017 has come and gone..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Knepper
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
blockhead wrote:
Dec 7th 2017 has come and gone..
Well, there may be a Dec 7th, 2018. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Canning
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like it might be published and delivered this year!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Heim
United States
Unspecified
Iowa
flag msg tools
Hello, Everyone!

I am rusty using The Geek yet I must get back in the habit.

First off, I am the designer of this and we were very much hoping to release this December 7, 2016 to catch the 75th anniversary. We are in pre-production right now and there is a chance this will be out December 7, 2018 - or at least Legion will begin taking payments on that date. So this should be available in the next few months.

I will do my best to stop in here frequently tho' like many of you I have multiple irons in the fire.

Thank you for your interest, and tell a friend about this item, please! thumbsup

John
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hoyt

Butte
Montana
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks John, eager to see more about this
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Heim
United States
Unspecified
Iowa
flag msg tools
More Of This
It is very exciting for me. I have several things under consideration or in the pipeline and several are variations on already published titles.

Air Raid! is made out of whole cloth. It came to me in a burst, and I wrote it all down in the space of about three weeks. After that came the several years of terra-forming it into a playable testable thing, and then Jim Gordon got involved and has done an absolutely perfect job as developer. He has set a high standard for me in terms of any other developer.

I have a cousin of Air Raid! about 90% complete. If Air Raid! gets a rave reception perhaps there will be some interest also in this project.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Pultorak
United States
Hudson
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Is the”cousin” a game on MIDWAY ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Heim
United States
Unspecified
Iowa
flag msg tools
Cousins
No, it is about the 20+ air and sea attempts to sink the Tirpitz.

I am not sure that this system can handle a Midway-type battle, but I haven't ever thought about it. Perhaps you can offer an opinion after you have spent some time with Air Raid! I would be open to suggestion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Sason
msg tools
Microbadge: Empire of the Sun fanMicrobadge: Fields of Fire fanMicrobadge: Empire of the Sun fanMicrobadge: Level 01 BGG poster
jheim58 wrote:
No, it is about the 20+ air and sea attempts to sink the Tirpitz.

I am not sure that this system can handle a Midway-type battle, but I haven't ever thought about it. Perhaps you can offer an opinion after you have spent some time with Air Raid! I would be open to suggestion.
Hi John, any news about the release date?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Heim
United States
Unspecified
Iowa
flag msg tools
Deadlines keep passing...

Good news, though. The map is coming along great, outside reviews have helped in general to tidy things up with the whole package. I know the boxes have been printed and arrived at Legion.

I am going to guess at a mid-to-late May release date, and hopefully this will ship sooner than that by a couple weeks. It is almost totally out of my hands, though, so I really don't know.

I have been working on a free supplement for this, which I will make available in .PDF format soon after publication. Some extra counters which will be helpful but there was no space on the production countersheets. Also optional event cards to replace the event table. And an optional rule for blocking the main channel, a ploy actually considered but rejected by the Japanese.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Hughes
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Any news John?

Also, did I read correctly that you are working on a Tirpitz game?! Care to give some details?!!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Heim
United States
Unspecified
Iowa
flag msg tools
Hello, Todd -

Legion, as you may know, has a lot of irons in the fire and has a challenge from time to time in getting things through a narrow funnel. Late May was my estimate of a release date and we are approaching late May with various production tasks still being worked, to include finishing the map. The map will be awesome when it is done; it's actually awesome right now. I would estimate the map is about 80% done. I hope not to jinx the project by saying I am confident this will see release by December 7 of 2019, which will be three years after my intended 75th anniversary release date. Hopefully sometime this summer.

Lonely Queen is a cousin of Air Raid!. It has not been tested, let alone developed, and so it certainly has changes coming as a result of the Air Raid! experience. It covers the more than 20 planned and largely executed attacks on the Tirpitz while she was deployed in Norway. In this respect, it differs from Air Raid! in that there are multiple opportunities to accomplish the task of sinking her, but she also has some limited ability to be repaired and the defenses are generally quite good, to include terrain difficulties affecting attack performance.

The raids are composed of air unit counters containing individual aircraft quantities, so there is not a counter for every plane, but every plane is tracked individually. Most bombing raids are quite small, one or two dozen aircraft. The game also includes the X-craft raid and a number of "human torpedo" strikes.

Attackers include various four-engine bombers, naval aviation strikes, raids by Mosquitoes carrying Barnes-Wallace skip bombs (smaller, spherical versions of the Dam Busters ordnance), Soviet bombers, and the underwater attack attempts, some of them rather ingenious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Thompson
United Kingdom
Southsea
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
jheim58 wrote:
Hello, Todd -

Legion, as you may know, has a lot of irons in the fire and has a challenge from time to time in getting things through a narrow funnel. Late May was my estimate of a release date and we are approaching late May with various production tasks still being worked, to include finishing the map. The map will be awesome when it is done; it's actually awesome right now. I would estimate the map is about 80% done. I hope not to jinx the project by saying I am confident this will see release by December 7 of 2019, which will be three years after my intended 75th anniversary release date. Hopefully sometime this summer.

Lonely Queen is a cousin of Air Raid!. It has not been tested, let alone developed, and so it certainly has changes coming as a result of the Air Raid! experience. It covers the more than 20 planned and largely executed attacks on the Tirpitz while she was deployed in Norway. In this respect, it differs from Air Raid! in that there are multiple opportunities to accomplish the task of sinking her, but she also has some limited ability to be repaired and the defenses are generally quite good, to include terrain difficulties affecting attack performance.

The raids are composed of air unit counters containing individual aircraft quantities, so there is not a counter for every plane, but every plane is tracked individually. Most bombing raids are quite small, one or two dozen aircraft. The game also includes the X-craft raid and a number of "human torpedo" strikes.

Attackers include various four-engine bombers, naval aviation strikes, raids by Mosquitoes carrying Barnes-Wallace skip bombs (smaller, spherical versions of the Dam Busters ordnance), Soviet bombers, and the underwater attack attempts, some of them rather ingenious.
Oh does that mean Tallboy bombs are modeled in some fashion? I think 3 or 4 raids were carried out in late '44 using them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Heim
United States
Unspecified
Iowa
flag msg tools
A pox upon me for my oversight!

Yes, the Tallboys make their appearances. And also the Johnny Walker walking mines. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Hughes
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
jheim58 wrote:
Hello, Todd -

Will this be strictly solo ala "Enemy Coast Ahead" or 1-2 players? I primarily play solo, but I am very much interested in this one! I'm assuming that the "German" player will control a gambit of defensive units to protect her, while the "Allied" player try's to throw anything and everything her way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Heim
United States
Unspecified
Iowa
flag msg tools
Re: The Lonely Queen
I am a solo player myself, and everything I design is intended to be played solo. A thing I have to work on harder than one might think is to make things interesting for multi-player.

This title has a number of scenarios and it presents the actual or planned OoBs for each situation; the British/Allied (or solo) player has a pool of points to spend on raids and so may choose how much to spend in order to improve chances of a game victory - sinking Tirpitz is not a guaranteed win, it is impacted by how much effort and expense it costs.

There are German AA and smoke generation capabilities, and the Luftwaffe may also make appearances - not a certain thing as the Luftwaffe and the Kriegsmarine didn't cooperate as well as they could/should have. There are three separate maps which constitute the game map - Faettenffjord, Altafjord/Kaafjord, and Hakoya Island.

Represented also are German BCs, CAs, CLs, DDs, and flak ships as additional AA assets and also as alternate targets.

I was close to being completely done with it a couple years ago, but I was taken off-task and this is probably a good thing because when I get back to it, I will have enough distance to evaluate it freshly, and to make adjustments inspired by the Air Raid! experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Finkenbiner
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mb
slipping multiple release dates suggests that either the optimistic initial date was marketing hype, of there was some serious flaws in calendar management. having watched the "dates" come and go, I wonder if this is a non-profit company or a company with other more pressing interests and priorities (other than publishing games, adhering to project schedules, managing product specifications, communicating accurately and timely, etc, etc, etc) or is someone waiting for their parole so that they can resume production schedules? Just asking for a friend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Heim
United States
Unspecified
Iowa
flag msg tools
Robert -

The delays are mortifying to me personally, although I have no power to move things any faster.

It would be impolitic and actually somewhat rude for me to speculate on any of your comments.

What I know for certain is that Legion is still a one-man operation and you have touched on some, but not all, of the reasons such a situation can delay a production schedule. I know some of the reasons which apply here but not all, I am sure.

The finished artwork is superlative, and the rules have been gone over and over and over and so this will see players' game tables in the end, and the long journey to get it there will be largely forgotten.

I agree with what you are probably going to respond, which is that Legion would do well to assess causes and address corrections as time moves forward.

Thank you for your (presumed) continued interest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Sason
msg tools
Microbadge: Empire of the Sun fanMicrobadge: Fields of Fire fanMicrobadge: Empire of the Sun fanMicrobadge: Level 01 BGG poster
Any update?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls