Popular Tags: [View All]
Evan Kline
United States
Winston-Salem
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm currently designing a hex based, explore/collect/build game with a little bit of bidding thrown in (sounds similar to Settlers, but is very far from it)

I've done a "proof of concept" prototype/playtest which ended successfully and enjoyably, and am now fleshing out the game rules and mechanics.

I have an decent amount of usable hexes for the game (traced hex onto cardboard and cut out)

I have resource tokens (many different colored bottle caps gleaned from house parties and after work beers that we kept to use as level counters for munchkin games. Don't judge.)

On my next playtest round (well maybe not my next, but within the next few. I may start testing with 5-10)I need somewhere in the ballpark of 15-20 unique pieces to represent buildings. My initial impulse is either steal some settler pieces and use colors (there are hex/terrain specific buildings that can use colors, building colors don't need to be player specific) or use Lego pieces.

While I understand this is an early prototype, the OCD side of me still wants some semblance of uniformity and I'd like to avoid the game state looking like a hodge-podge of random things I found around the house.

I definitely have a way forward, but I'm curious if there are any suggestions for proto-typing a high number of unique pieces beyond what I've considered. Also I'd like to eventually replace the bottle-caps. They are very useful, but too big for the purpose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Forrest & Ryan Driskel
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Printed standees or chits, possibly?

Do not let components get in your way of testing. They aren't important at this stage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Kline
United States
Winston-Salem
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the reply. That's a helpful idea to print some standees. I hadn't thought of that!

I know they aren't important. I'm trying to strike the balance between getting something workable while not letting the pieces get in the way of the game. I'd like the playtesting time to be spent playing and ironing out the game, not trying to figure out what piece is what.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Forrest & Ryan Driskel
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
spaff_ wrote:
Thanks for the reply. That's a helpful idea to print some standees. I hadn't thought of that!

I know they aren't important. I'm trying to strike the balance between getting something workable while not letting the pieces get in the way of the game. I'd like the playtesting time to be spent playing and ironing out the game, not trying to figure out what piece is what.

I completely understand ... I playtest in full color ( even though I know its a waste of ... everything )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Finch
Australia
Carindale
QLD
flag msg tools
designer
badge
My hat? Definitely not a mind-control alien, no.
mbmbmbmbmb
You could use playing cards (Magic lands are plentiful and cheap) to make the standees to replace your bottle caps, by folding the cards in half, and then cutting the result in half. That will give you two A-shapes that can stand up by themselves.

If you apply a sticker to the card before you fold and cut, you can customise the figures to whatever you need.

I use full-page sticker sheets for my prototypes, which I then cut down into 9 rectangles after printing (3x3) and stick them full face over the cards, but plain paper and a glue stick would work just as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Kline
United States
Winston-Salem
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Using cards is a very helpful idea... I don't have a ton of magic cards anymore, but I do have a lot of regular playing cards that will work just as well.

I can even write with sharpie directly on the card to make each piece clear. Stickers would be cool in future iterations to up the prototype production value. Thanks for the input!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.