Subject: Question about a building tile rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Poland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So there is this tile.

The question is: why question mark? Since I have to pay exactly 4 resources of 4 different types, it's pretty obvious that this tile will be worth 3+4+5+6 points (combined value of 1 wood, 1 clay, 1 stone and 1 gold), right? Why a question mark instead of the value of 18? Why making things more complicated than they really are?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank S
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you can pay in any or multiple of resources. They do not have to be different. The is a rules reference in there somewhere!

EDIT: Scratch that, confirmed from the rules that they should be four different types. As mentioned below, maybe it was just to keep the consistency of the tiles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Amick
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eventide wrote:
So there is this tile.

The question is, why question mark? Since I have to pay exactly 4 resources of 4 different types, it's pretty obvious that this tile will be worth 3+4+5+6 points (combined value of 1 wood, 1 clay, 1 stone and 1 gold), right?
It was probably just to make it consistent with the other buildings that don't specify exactly which resources you use with it; after all, the bottom part could have simply pictured one of each resource. It might also be that they were leaving themselves a way to handle adding a new resource in an expansion, for instance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Rice
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Blah Blah Blah
badge
I didn't know what else to do with the GG
mbmbmbmbmb
If I was a betting man I would say the "?" is there to be consistent with the iconography. All the other variable resource buildings have a "?" too I believe, so they were probably just being consistent.

EDIT: Dang, was ninja'd on the response ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Torben
Germany
Gönnheim
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
badge
This is a sloth. It accurately represents my style of life.
Microbadge: Deduction games fanMicrobadge: I play with green!Microbadge: Robinson Crusoe: Adventure on the Cursed Island fanMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: I love solo gaming!
2d20 wrote:
I think you can pay in any or multiple of resources. They do not have to be different. The is a rules reference in there somewhere!
No, the digit on the left states how many resources are needed and the the symbols in "( )" state how many different resource types your payment needs to consist of.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Liken
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes - I think this has been discussed previously and the conclusion was consistency. It would also allow for an expansion that included different resources as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hut printing error?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Finger Lakes region
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Barticus88 wrote:
It's not so hard to find in this short thread, but the specific response can be targeted directly.

Re: Hut printing error?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Strobel
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Could be to allow for a new resource in a later expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls