Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Brownsill
United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On page 9 of the rules about moving into a new era it says :

" Any cards in front of players with the old era symbol on should now be discarded."

Yet on page 14 under An explanation of the cards it says :

"When you take a card you resolve the action immediately. You then discard the card."

So when would there ever be a situation where anyone has an unused card in front of them ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolby Reddish
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
the Yellow Sign?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It means from the common pool. The cards in front of all players are discarded and new ones are drawn from the new era deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
Pogle wrote:
On page 9 of the rules about moving into a new era it says :

" Any cards in front of players with the old era symbol on should now be discarded."

Yet on page 14 under An explanation of the cards it says :

"When you take a card you resolve the action immediately. You then discard the card."

So when would there ever be a situation where anyone has an unused card in front of them ?
I couldn't see any cards that aren't instantly discarder. AFAIR, the rules say "in most cases", suggesting there are some edge cases... not seen any though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Tonks
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
reddish22 wrote:
It means from the common pool. The cards in front of all players are discarded and new ones are drawn from the new era deck.
This.

As soon as you do the take card action, you take a card and do what it says then discard it. I don't think there's ever a situation where you get to keep a card for later use.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Brownsill
United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not so sure due to the preceding sentence.

The full thing says :

"Remove all of the game cards from the display for the old era. Any cards in front of players with the old era symbol on should now be discarded."

So it already tells you to remove all the cards from the pool of the current era.

It then has the sentence about discarding cards in front of players, which can't be the common pool as you'll have already cleared those.

Mind you this isn't the only thing in these rules that have confused me
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Connor Cranston
Netherlands
Rotterdam
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you pay for the action on the card? For example the Ram in the first era. Could someone describe in detail how it works? Or the 'take upgrade action' card?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Tonks
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pogle wrote:
I'm not so sure due to the preceding sentence.

The full thing says :

"Remove all of the game cards from the display for the old era. Any cards in front of players with the old era symbol on should now be discarded."

So it already tells you to remove all the cards from the pool of the current era.

It then has the sentence about discarding cards in front of players, which can't be the common pool as you'll have already cleared those.

Mind you this isn't the only thing in these rules that have confused me
Page 14 under 'An explanation of the cards' should be clearer...

I think the confusion from your quote is that the last sentence is trying to say there should be no cards left from the old era at all but it's not been worded very well...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tucker Taylor
Canada
Fort St James
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Is your score positive? You win! (Some players win more than others.)
badge
A woman needs a man like a fish needs a saxophone.
Microbadge: BloggerMicrobadge: FeminismMicrobadge: PolyamorousMicrobadge: Tea drinkerMicrobadge: Every true 18xx fan knows you should use $20 chips
Pogle wrote:
I don't think so. I assumed that was left over from a point in development where some cards had lasting effects, or possibly where "buy card" and "use card" were two different things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Tonks
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JazzFish wrote:
I assumed that was left over from a point in development where some cards had lasting effects, or possibly where "buy card" and "use card" were two different things.
If that was the case, then that is really bad proof-reading...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
tonksey wrote:
JazzFish wrote:
I assumed that was left over from a point in development where some cards had lasting effects, or possibly where "buy card" and "use card" were two different things.
If that was the case, then that is really bad proof-reading...
Well there are enough typos and misplaced / superfluous punctuation in it to make that more than plausible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tonksey wrote:

Page 14 under 'An explanation of the cards' should be clearer...

Compare to Page 12, ACTION: TAKE ONE CARD

"In most cases the card will be actioned immediately and then discarded"

:/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Clarke
United Kingdom
Caithness
Scotland
flag msg tools

All of the cards are used immediately then discarded. There are no cards that are retained by the player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mauve Co
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Highland Cow wrote:
All of the cards are used immediately then discarded. There are no cards that are retained by the player.
Just to be safe I asked Martin and he confirmed that this is correct.

Apparently earlier drafts of the game had cards that were persistent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls