Subject: Playing 5 players with 2 sets rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stuart McIntyre
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If you don't mind sticking stickers on two of your cards, you can eke a 5 player game from 2 sets rather than buying whole new base set of which almost all cards won't be used. We have played quite a few times this way.

In the two sets there are a total of 8 Vipers and 32 Scouts. You need to stick stickers on two of the Scouts - we use two little hearts that cover the 1 coin value nicely.

When playing with 5 players, those stickered Scouts count as Vipers.

Each player starts with 2 vipers and 6 scouts which are shuffled together as normal.

All players deal out 2 less cards than normal at the start of the game, but add an Explorer card to that starting hand.

Also, one player also need to use a pen and paper to record Authority points.

Now have fun with the 5 player round-robin game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice idea - I'd use card sleeves so could modify cards without stickers. I considered doing the opposite - converting vipers to scouts - everyone gets 8 scouts and no vipers (I'd probably just give one player all the vipers and they can pretend they are scouts) and play normally. You'd get to the first reshuffle quicker of course. I haven't tried this though (I'm waiting for Star Realms: Colony Wars as a second set).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Weddle
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Rolling Dice & Taking Names FanMicrobadge: Risk Legacy fan - I Opened the Do Not Open. Ever. packetMicrobadge: The Dice Tower fanMicrobadge: ChristianMicrobadge: Disc Golf fan
Interesting Idea. I've never played with 5 people, but I am interested in trying it. The only problem I can see is that the 1st person is at a disadvantage since they will not get to shuffle the new cards they bought until the third turn. The other 4 players have a chance of having a newly bought card show up on turn #2 & #3. However, I think I would rather have that happen than drawing 4 cards & 4 cards to even it out.

I like the idea of getting rid of the vipers & adding an Explorer, since 4 damage during the first 4 turns does not normally matter & vipers are usually the first to be scrapped. Maybe you could also consider everyone just starting at 45 rather than 50? I'm not sure if that would make a difference.

Card sleeves are very helpful to create or modify cards.

I may try this out over Thanksgiving or Christmas with my family. Thanks for the idea!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls