Subject: Removing and Placing Action Tiles rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paulo Renato
Portugal
Vila Nova Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
I run through Rahdo's Runthroughs and make right what once went wrong (via annotations)
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

Have a question regarding the Remiving and Placing an Action Tile...

if all the Wild Spots are full can a player spend 1 weapon to remove one of those tiles and then not place a new tile?

I was under the impression that you had to always fully resolve one Action but on Page 10 it says:
"1. Pay a weapon token to remove 1 Action Tile from the Wilds (optional, only when there are no free tile spaces in the Wilds
2. Place the Action Tile onto a Free Space in the Wilds
3. Receive resources depicted on the tile space just covered by the action tile
4. Place one of their Vassals on the newly placed Action Tile. If the player is unable to place a Vassal, the player is not allowed to place that Action Tile"

As you can see by the bolded part (it's also bolded on the rules) it says if the player has no vassal to place he can't place the new action tile but it doesn't say anything about not being able to do step 1 Remove a tile by paying 1 weapon...

So if a player doesn't have a vassal to place can he still pay a weapon to discard a tile and then not place another tile?

And if the player has a vassal, can he choose to only do step 1. and destroy a tile and then not place a new tile?

I would say that you can only do the action if you can place a new tile and for that you have to have a tile and an availble vassal (even if it comes from the just removed tile), and if you can you must perform the action fully, so you couldn't choose not to place a new tile, but the wording in this section seems to allow a player to just remove the tile even if he can't or doesn't want to place a new one...

So I just wanted to be sure on what is the correct way of playing.

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B. G. Kubacki
Poland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Muse23PT wrote:
So if a player doesn't have a vassal to place can he still pay a weapon to discard a tile and then not place another tile?

And if the player has a vassal, can he choose to only do step 1. and destroy a tile and then not place a new tile?
That's a double no. Placing a new tile is tied to placing a Vassal. Removing a tile (using a Weapon) is only allowed if the Wilds are full, and the active player will place a Tile (with a Vassal) on the vacated spot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Marowske
United States
Macomb
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Terraforming Mars fanMicrobadge: Maracaibo fanMicrobadge: Grand Austria Hotel fanMicrobadge: Kanban: Automotive Revolution fanMicrobadge: COIN fan
So this situation came up...

The Wilds are full and active player has a weapon but no Vassals present in his inventory; however, he has Vassals on various Action Tiles in the Wilds. Can he pay the weapon to remove an Action Tile on which he has a Vassal, take back that Vassal, and then place a new Action Tile using the retrieved Vassal in the process to lay the tile and activate a space?

Based upon the order in which the steps are delineated in the rule book, I would say yes. However later in the rules it also states with respect to Removing Action Tiles from the Wilds: "All Vassals on the tile immediately return to their owning players (players may use them on any following turns).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Bonner
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
@esquire468 We had this exact situation come up tonight in our game. I ruled that the player could not use their own vassal that they have removed that turn and would have to wait until following turns to use the removed vassal. It makes no sense thematically either way so i would love to hear how others interpret it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ferdinand Köther
Germany
Bochum
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The Bon wrote:
@esquire468 We had this exact situation come up tonight in our game. I ruled that the player could not use their own vassal that they have removed that turn and would have to wait until following turns to use the removed vassal. It makes no sense thematically either way so i would love to hear how others interpret it.
I agree with you, and the rules do as well (Main Action):
... a player must do one of the following:
- Place a vassal ...
- Retrieve any number of their vassals ...

This sounds pretty clear to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Turner
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
Roll for the Guru
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Except that the player isn't "Retrieving" vassals, they are returned from the tile being removed, so that's different.

Thematically you could say the vassal went on to a nearby wild-lands before returning to the city.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ferdinand Köther
Germany
Bochum
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
sakoguru wrote:
Except that the player isn't "Retrieving" vassals, they are returned from the tile being removed, so that's different.

Thematically you could say the vassal went on to a nearby wild-lands before returning to the city.
Oh yeah, hail to the people who can read properly ...

Still, assuming that rules are made to be followed (by and large, which does not forbid any discussions, of course), I'd stick to the rules in this case as well:

"... may use them on any following turns".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls