BGG» Forums » Game Groups » Europe » England

Subject: Games Lore poor customer service rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sapol Laiwejpithaya
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Copper Board Game Collector
Despite the fact that I saw many good reviews about Games Lore in BGG community, I just found out by myself that GL's customer service is very poor.

I ordered 3 games from GL in an order but one of the 3 games is missing and they sent me the wrong game instead. When I contacted them, they said I have to pack the wrong item back and return it to them by post before they would send me the correct item back. They said they would refund the postal fee....

It's very annoying that clearly, it's not my fault but I have to waste my time packing the item back and visit the local post office. The most disappointing point is that they should have sent me the missing item ASAP when I informed them, not just to wait until they got the wrong item back.

All in all, this should be the first and the last time I order from GL.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Bailey-Jones
United Kingdom
Somerset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have been on that end as well, hope all goes well for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree they should have sent the 'missing item' immediately or at the very least after you'd got a receipt from your local post office. One would hope they will enclose a little something extra with the replacement to say "sorry" for their mistake and for your inconvenience.

I've only ever ordered twice fro them as their prices are rarely favourable, so I cannot comment on their customer service, but what they have asked you to do is not unreasonable, but certainly not as helpful and considerate as it should have been.

Taking your business elsewhere in future is probably advisable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ewen Pearson
United Kingdom
Shipley
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Surprised to hear they won't send the correct game until the wrong game is returned. Was it posted to Thailand? They'd be better off forgetting about the wrong game as the cost of returning will be high I guess. I had a damaged game from amazon.de once (manufacturing error not damaged in post) and initially they wanted it returned but then decided the return cost was too high so asked me to keep it.

I have used Gameslore about 10 times and they've always been good to deal with. When you buy a few games together I think their prices are reasonable, but for single games it's often cheaper to shop elsewhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Josephus wrote:
If you had paid full sticker price which I imagine would have been around 25/30% more then you would have had a stronger argument.
Why?

The price you pay for an item is the price the vendor is willing to sell at. It is the vendor's responsibility to deliver the item you purchased, complete, in good condition and fit for purpose. If they did not do that, then they are responsible for making good. The price they charge has no bearing on that.

They should make good in a way that least inconveniences their customer. This time they chose not to; silly decision and one that - as has been said above - probably makes no financial sense whatsoever and has resulted in reputational damage. They had the choice to behave nicely and they chose not to.

I think the OP does a service to 'faraway' customers who might be thinking of buying from Gameslore by highlighting their 33% failure rate and inconsiderate after sales service.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sapol Laiwejpithaya
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
My current address is in the UK, not Thailand. Sorry for the confusion as I haven't changed the country name in my BGG profile yet.

The funny thing is that the postal fee (standard 1st class) for the return is ‎£15.85 while the GL price shown on the website for the wrong item is ‎£29.99. (Also, we haven't talked about the postal fee for them to send the new correct item back to me again).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
enoon wrote:
Josephus wrote:
If you had paid full sticker price which I imagine would have been around 25/30% more then you would have had a stronger argument.
Why?

The price you pay for an item is the price the vendor is willing to sell at. It is the vendor's responsibility to deliver the item you purchased, complete, in good condition and fit for purpose. If they did not do that, then they are responsible for making good. The price they charge has no bearing on that.

I totally agree with this, unless the company is clearly advertising itself as a "no frills, cheap prices, but we can't guarantee quality" vendor (which I assume would violate consumer protection laws in many places). A reputable company should fix its mistakes quickly. Instead of punishing the buyer, maybe they should evaluate the competence of the person who couldn't figure out how to put the correct items in the shipping box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sapol Laiwejpithaya
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
joe_salamone wrote:
enoon wrote:
Josephus wrote:
Why?

I totally agree with this, unless the company is clearly advertising itself as a "no frills, cheap prices, but we can't guarantee quality" vendor (which I assume would violate consumer protection laws in many places). A reputable company should fix it's mistakes quickly. Instead of punishing the buyer, maybe they should evaluate the competence of the person who couldn't figure out how to put the correct items in the shipping box.
I did place order from GL not because of the price, it's not the cheapest but one of the 3 games I ordered cannot be found online elsewhere so I didn't have many choices.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Taylor
United Kingdom
FARINGDON
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Josephus wrote:
It's always a pain when something is wrong with an order, but it's part of the risk in ordering online. Mistakes do happen.

I've ordered from Games Lore before and when I've spoken to them on the phone have found them friendly. A big part of the reason why I order from them is because they offer extremely competitive prices on their games. I would imagine that a key reason for you ordering from them was their cheaper prices too? I think you need to manage your expectations on what after sales service a company can offer when you choose to shop at bargain prices. I personally feel it's unpractical to expect a company like Gameslore to either swallow the cost of the misspicked game or to run the risk of you never returning it.

It's pretty easy to make judgement on what improvements could have been made. If you had paid full sticker price which I imagine would have been around 25/30% more then you would have had a stronger argument. I'm not entirely sure why you feel so penalised that you felt the need to publicly embarrass Games Lore? As it is, you've come across a little self centred.
I'm sorry, but I have to agree with you and disagree with you. It obviously depends on the country involved, but generally of course mistakes can happen and the company will replace or refund.

I entirely disagree that you should expect less from a cheaper price. If you pay £1m or 10p, your rights remain exactly the same and you should always expect the same level of service. Any failure of service should be admonished where it's below legal standard. My only point on the Gameslore return is that as it was their mistake, they are responsibly for getting the item back at 'no unreasonable inconvenience' to you. If it was delivered to your door, they are required to pick it up from your door if you so wish (or they can forget about it entirely, but still refund you).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sapol wrote:
My current address is in the UK, not Thailand. Sorry for the confusion as I haven't changed the country name in my BGG profile yet.

The funny thing is that the postal fee (standard 1st class) for the return is ‎£15.85 while the GL price shown on the website for the wrong item is ‎£29.99. (Also, we haven't talked about the postal fee for them to send the new correct item back to me again).
Well! Their behaviour is QUITE outrageous then and a warning to everyone. I could (nearly) accept it if they were shipping to Thailand, but that is simply not good enough in the UK.

What they should have done was said

"We are sorry for our mistake. We have immediately sent you the 'missing' game. We have sent you a prepaid shipping label* and please return the wrong game to us in the package in which we have sent the replacement. "

* That's easy for various carriers, all of whom are cheaper than £15.85!

Totally unacceptable behaviour, and the OP is absolutely right to warn us all. Fortunately he is covered by all sorts of consumer protection legislation and in the end will not be out of pocket, except for inconvenience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bryant
United Kingdom
Telford
Shropshire
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I've contacted Sapol privately to try to resolve, we have a fairly new lady on customer service and she's perhaps not fully aware of the options.

Our price is irrelevant to either the laws we have to follow or the customer service we would expect to provide.

What boggles my mind in this instance is how we managed to pick a product so different from that which was ordered.

If we had an error rate of 1 in 3 we'd have been out of business many years ago surprise

Paul.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sapol Laiwejpithaya
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
gameslore wrote:
I've contacted Sapol privately to try to resolve, we have a fairly new lady on customer service and she's perhaps not fully aware of the options.

Our price is irrelevant to either the laws we have to follow or the customer service we would expect to provide.

What boggles my mind in this instance is how we managed to pick a product so different from that which was ordered.

If we had an error rate of 1 in 3 we'd have been out of business many years ago surprise

Paul.
The missing item is TTA - a new story of civilization but the wrong item is The Magnates, which is completely different.

P.s. I replied your email with the postal fee receipt and hope that the correct item will be sent out by tomorrow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bryant
United Kingdom
Telford
Shropshire
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Sapol, can confirm we understand which game we haven't sent, that the correct one will be despatched tomorrow and that we'll get the refund of your postal fee done then as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Powell
United Kingdom
sHifnal
Shropshire
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Legendary: Fantastic FourMicrobadge: Legendary Online League participantMicrobadge: Washington Redskins fanMicrobadge: Deadpool, the Merc with a Mouth fanMicrobadge: 18EU fan
I have used GL and many other online stores and it is most annoying when things go wrong.
But whenever you have a human being involved there is always that chance of an error occurring.
I therefore find it amazing that because of one error gameslore has suddenly become a bad company over night.
This is a company that ships 100's of games a day and more I'm sure.
Gameslore, haven't tried to rip anyone off, they have communicated with the buyer, they have excepted that they have made an error so I'm shocked that the op is damming of this company.
As a board game buyer I want alerting about rouge companies selling dodgy games or keeping my cash and not delivering.
Everyone has an opinion on how this was handled, but it's being handled that's what's important here.
Maybe not to some people's expectations but if you are not happy with the arrangements tell gameslore not the world.
Have the conversation with them and keep having the conversation.
If you don't get your game, if you have lost your money, then hey, let us know.
But don't kick a company when they are trying to fix the problem.
Sapol, I feel your annoyance, I really do, but humans are just that human, we all make mistakes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United Kingdom
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I read the OP and couldn't understand what the problem was, maybe I just have lower expectations of customer service? If that's their policy then so be it, it's not the first online company that I've come accross that does things like that! It certianly on it's own isn't a good reason to boycott them!

I just feel I have to say something in their defense since I've bought a lot from them and had no problems of note.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Daffin
United Kingdom
Ledbury
Herefordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pinkthunder wrote:
I have used GL and many other online stores and it is most annoying when things go wrong.
But whenever you have a human being involved there is always that chance of an error occurring.
I therefore find it amazing that because of one error gameslore has suddenly become a bad company over night.
This is a company that ships 100's of games a day and more I'm sure.
Gameslore, haven't tried to rip anyone off, they have communicated with the buyer, they have excepted that they have made an error so I'm shocked that the op is damming of this company.
As a board game buyer I want alerting about rouge companies selling dodgy games or keeping my cash and not delivering.
Everyone has an opinion on how this was handled, but it's being handled that's what's important here.
Maybe not to some people's expectations but if you are not happy with the arrangements tell gameslore not the world.
Have the conversation with them and keep having the conversation.
If you don't get your game, if you have lost your money, then hey, let us know.
But don't kick a company when they are trying to fix the problem.
Sapol, I feel your annoyance, I really do, but humans are just that human, we all make mistakes.
+1 thumbsup

It is a very rare event for a boardgames company to provide poor service or rip their customers off. There is usually a good explanation. The Internet has really made companies customer service really tighter in general. If you deliver poor service regularly these days, you're signing the company's death warrant.

I've never had any problem with Gameslore - they are one of the top online games retailers in the UK.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bandettini
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
That one not so much
badge
Ohh that tickles
Microbadge: Blue Öyster Cult fanMicrobadge: Doctor Who fan - William Hartnell, 1st DoctorMicrobadge: Essen attendeeMicrobadge: Flamme Rouge fan!Microbadge: Golden Geeklister
I was impressed one time when I phoned them, they asked my name and they said, 'Oh the nodding cat'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sharon Khan
United Kingdom
Shefford
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
Games, games and more games!
mbmbmbmbmb

I'll also chime in to say that I have always had excellent service from Gameslore, having used them many times.

And I know it depends on the person, but for me it would be less hassle to drop a parcel at the post office and then be refunded later, than to have to be in to have it collected from my door - different options suit different people!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael R.
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I too have ordered many things from Gameslore and have always been happy with their service. Often I've ordered stuff on a Thursday and received it on a Saturday. Ideal for not getting a post office card through the door and having to pick it up later. So, in my experience they're very reliable and offer a good service.

Things can and do go wrong with all companies from time to time but it looks like they're on the case now. Not an ideal response initially perhaps in the case of the OP, but I wouldn't let one bad experience put you off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As you will have to return the game to the vendor, why does it matter whether you do it before or after the vendor sends the replacement? There's no added inconvenience to you from a request to do it before the replacement is sent. And the vendor is quite happy to pay the postage costs that you incur! So you get your game after an unfortunate delay and they protect themselves from people who might choose to abuse a system whereby they send the replacement before receiving the returned game. And the vendor is financially penalised for the error.

I've certainly had the wrong game sent to me by GamesLore and I've had no problem with returning the game up front. But of course if they keep making mistakes I will ultimately find a less error-prone vendor - as long as they are competitively priced. 'Cos price is by far the most significant differentiator between OLGS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ainsworth
United Kingdom
Manchester
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wanted to chime in and say I've ordered thousands of pounds worth of stuff from Games Lore and have never had a problem. They're fast and competitively priced. I've only gotten in touch with them once to query if a particular product was ever coming back in stock and had a lovely conversation with the chap on the other end of the phone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mat FR
United Kingdom
Oxford
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another happy customer wanting to add a happy voice. Very pleased with the many orders I have put via them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathleen Nugent
United States
Tamworth
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Microbadge: I never go anywhere without a Lonely Planet travel guide!Microbadge: RationalistMicrobadge: National Public Radio listenerMicrobadge: Square dancerMicrobadge: I drive an RV
Ordering in the United States, there has been only one instance where the OLGS sent the wrong game. When I contacted them about it, they sent the correct game without even mentioning the wrong game. I didn't have to return it. No money or time was involved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Gibson
United Kingdom
Taunton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnBandettini wrote:
I was impressed one time when I phoned them, they asked my name and they said, 'Oh the nodding cat'
They should have said 'Oh the thumbs up man!'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milvus
Ireland
Wicklow Town
Co. Wicklow
flag msg tools
I'm bitter, I'm twisted!
mbmbmbmbmb
Games Lore are the main retailer I use online, been shopping with them for the last six years or so and happy to report I have never had any difficulty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   |